• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My experience with fractional ownership of comics: JIM #83 / $215,000
3 3

444 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Thanks Here’s how it seems to work. Rally enters into agreement with Metropolis to have the right to buy comic for $195,000. Metropolis continues to hold asset. Rally sells shares valuing asset approx $40,000 higher than the purchase price from Metropolis. There’s the fees! Questions I have is does Vincent or other key Metropolis personnel  have any ownership interest in Rally Rd?  If not I’ll be interested to see how this works out asVincent has been touting comics and other collectibles as an alternate investment in a well balanced portfolio for a long time so it should come as no surprise. Was gonna register but my social security number was a bridge too far. Here’s some disclosures I didn’t read. 

https://legal.drivewealth.com/terms-of-use/
https://legal.drivewealth.com/customer-account-agreement/

https://legal.drivewealth.com/alternative-investments-agreement/

https://legal.drivewealth.com/disclosures-disclaimers/

The thing I wonder about this is whether the purchase and projections of sale is a recipe to move the needle on values. My sense is that a''consortium" type purchase, where there are multiple parties spreading out the risk or upfront capital expenditure a single person might otherwise not want to assume on their own, should be deemed an outlier sale - i.e. if this sells for $215,000, the market should not anticipate this will be the new normal for JIM 83 in 9.4. my2cents

If this takes off, why wouldn't this be the defacto platform for dealers to move their high grade comics to ensure they squeeze out the most out of a sale?

Edited by comicwiz

i emailed my dude warren about the awesome investment opportunity the dude is, like, saying the stuff he is gonna do, which i think is really awesome, with neat cars and stuff like that, which is cool.

and the dude knows computer typing art things, and only needs 17 mil, so i told warren to help this awesome dude out, man. it is, yeah, well, like the ground basement floor, starting, and all.

9 minutes ago, wilbil said:

i emailed my dude warren about the awesome investment opportunity the dude is, like, saying the stuff he is gonna do, which i think is really awesome, with neat cars and stuff like that, which is cool.

and the dude knows computer typing art things, and only needs 17 mil, so i told warren to help this awesome dude out, man. it is, yeah, well, like the ground basement floor, starting, and all.

Unusual Stuff People Tried to Sell Online - FAIL Blog - Funny Fails

Looking for backers...

"I'm not going to trust a company a thousand miles away in San Francisco that wants to charge me when I sell a comic book to a guy across town using their website.  No way, eBay. This will never work."

-People On The Internet In 1997

1 hour ago, comicwiz said:

The thing I wonder about this is whether the purchase and projections of sale is a recipe to move the needle on values. My sense is that a''consortium" type purchase, where there are multiple parties spreading out the risk or upfront capital expenditure a single person might otherwise not want to assume on their own, should be deemed an outlier sale - i.e. if this sells for $215,000, the market should not anticipate this will be the new normal for JIM 83 in 9.4. my2cents

If this takes off, why wouldn't this be the defacto platform for dealers to move their high grade comics to ensure they squeeze out the most out of a sale?

I doubt many dealers would want to go thru the hoops of registering their stock as securities..

If you were offered 1/1000th of an AF 15 for $1 in 2000, would you have dropped $10 on it?

So I give you $5,000 and you give me a piece of paper saying I own part of the Disney parks and the Marvel movies.

Do I get a discount at the park for being an " owner" ?

Do I get free admission to see " my movies" 

What a ripoff.  

Why would anyone invest in a company that makes electric cars that no one wants, and few can afford ?  

A company who wants to sell computers for people to use in their homes? Please. 

19 minutes ago, shadroch said:

So I give you $5,000 and you give me a piece of paper saying I own part of the Disney parks and the Marvel movies.

Do I get a discount at the park for being an " owner" ?

Do I get free admission to see " my movies" 

What a ripoff.  

Why would anyone invest in a company that makes electric cars that no one wants, and few can afford ?  

A company who wants to sell computers for people to use in their homes? Please. 

So, you're saying that some computers will convert my dollars into some ones and zeroes that are worth a fraction of a penny, but I'll have thousands of those ones and zeroes and that's something I should do?  What happens to all my bitcoins when someone turns off the computer?  It's 2010, not 1910, and I'm not a fool who can be tricked into the snake oil trade so easily. They're just going to take my $10 and run, and I'll be stuck with thousands of bitcoins worth absolutely nothing. I'm not giving them $10.

Edited by valiantman

43 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I doubt many dealers would want to go thru the hoops of registering their stock as securities..

If you were offered 1/1000th of an AF 15 for $1 in 2000, would you have dropped $10 on it?

I've seen people do crazier (and highly illegal) things for less. The main point here though is selling something for $200K to 1000 people, of which 2 or 3 will almost instantly regret it, is kind of hard thing to use as a past sales reference, if they can even get that many people to buy in.

However, from the point of view of an economy on the verge of collapse, more people out of work than in recent memory, and a global pandemic, spreading out the cost of a $200K book might be a more attractive option than finding a single person to sell something in that value range.

Edited by comicwiz

This has, yet again, turned into the same circular conversation, but with a side of a strawmen and hyperbole. Oh wait, that happened last time, too.

Some people like this, some people don't. Invest, or don't. However, as others have said, this is not collecting, this is 100% investing.

Until next week when it's brought up again!

18 minutes ago, manetteska said:

This has, yet again, turned into the same circular conversation, but with a side of a strawmen and hyperbole. Oh wait, that happened last time, too.

Some people like this, some people don't. Invest, or don't. However, as others have said, this is not collecting, this is 100% investing.

Until next week when it's brought up again!

The number of people who can collect, but not invest, in $195,000+ comics would not keep this message board alive. A dozen collectors dressed like the Monopoly guy sitting in a parlor fanning the pages of Action Comics #1 wouldn't need this board to get their collecting done.

All comics are investments when they're worth $1,000 or more... because collecting them to just read them - not to invest - is possible with reprints.

If a comic is $1,000, $10,000, $100,000 or $1,000,000, it is only accessible to a single person with that much money to invest.

Unless there's some way for multiple people to invest together.

This has, yet again, turned into the same circular conversation where someone claimed that a $195,000 comic is supposedly only good for "collecting" and not investing... in a topic that specifically mentions "fractional ownership of comics". (shrug)

Edited by valiantman

21 minutes ago, comicwiz said:
1 hour ago, shadroch said:

I've seen people do crazier (and highly illegal) things for less. The main point here though is selling something for $200K to 1000 people, of which 2 or 3 will almost instantly regret it, is kind of hard thing to use as a past sales reference, if they can even get that many people to buy in.

However, from the point of view of an economy on the verge of collapse, more people out of work than in recent memory, and a global pandemic, spreading out the cost of a $200K book might be a more attractive option than finding a single person to sell something in that value range.

Despite the jokes - this article does a very good job of describing exactly what's going on... https://alternativeassets.club/an-interview-with-rob-petrozzo-co-founder-of-rally-2/

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:
54 minutes ago, valiantman said:

All comics are investments when they're worth $1,000 or more... 

Um......no.

I don't picture you as the Monopoly guy, but whatever.

For 99.9% of us, putting $1,000 into a comic book is not something that's "money thrown away" with no regard for the future value.  If you even think about future value, you're not collecting, you're investing - according to the complaints on this board.

15 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I don't picture you as the Monopoly guy, but whatever.

For 99.9% of us, putting $1,000 into a comic book is not something that's "money thrown away" with no regard for the future value.  If you even think about future value, you're not collecting, you're investing - according to the complaints on this board.

Putting $1,000 into something that may be a collectible doesn't make it an "investment".

Some people don't buy things with ROI or appreciation in mind. Some people buy things just because they want them.

2 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Putting $1,000 into something that may be a collectible doesn't make it an "investment".

Some people don't buy things with ROI or appreciation in mind. Some people buy things just because they want them.

Follow through, then, and be sure give it away when you're done.  Give it away - don't sell it... you might have a profit, and true collectors can't besmirch themselves with profit.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Follow through, then, and be sure give it away when you're done.  Give it away - don't sell it... you might have a profit, and true collectors can't besmirch themselves with profit.

wot

When I retire, I'm more likely to want bullets than comic books. This line of absolute thinking isn't very logical.

But, TBH, I'll probably die 'unexpectedly' and my nephew will inherit it all.

Just now, Angel of Death said:
4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

wot

When I retire, I'm more likely to want bullets than comic books. This line of absolute thinking isn't very logical.

But, TBH, I'll probably die 'unexpectedly' and my nephew will inherit it all.

Exactly, there are multiple posts on this board where it is claimed that people can't be a collector AND an investor.  Of course you can be both.

If it's possible for you to spend $1,000 on a comic book and have absolutely no thought toward its future value, congratulations.  You're not normal.  You can do that, but 99.9% of us can't.  Spending $1,000 - for most of us - involves thinking about alternative choices, possible way to recoup costs, and future actions beyond reading the book.