• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Favorite Online Comic Book Sellers
4 4

79 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, dylanthekid said:

dont even get me started

Sorry. I take people as I find them. We were talking about online dealers. I like a lot of them but find a couple of things I either don't understand or don't agree with:

MyComicsShop seems to be a consignment store. I usually find their wares - while pretty - mainly vastly overpriced. Perhaps it is a sales shop as well.

Heritage Auctions seems to be grossly overpriced as well with an unreasonable buyers fee attached. I must be misunderstanding certain things.

Also, no one has mentioned Dave and Adams Card Shop or DTA. I think I bought my All Star 7 from DTA. It was a pleasant and fair experience.

15 minutes ago, dylanthekid said:

dude. There's a ton of unethical things I could do that would makes millions and millions of dollars. I said no, I wanna do it the RIGHT way.

If I was unethical, why would I not sell restored RAW books as unrestored?

If I was unethical, why would I offer free returns? Including when it was not my fault even after the fact and much later?

If I was unethical why did I IMMEDIATELY cancel the character label sales?

If I was unethical why did I send back the Hulk 1 back to CGC that had the exact same problem a week later

If I was unethical why would I take the fall for something that I didn't do? At some point in time and I'm not gonna say what or who but I took the fall for something I did not do because I protect those around me. No I'm not gonna tell you who or what I dont care if you point a gun in my face

If I was unethical why would I even give a damn right here right now?

I give up. Anyone who's actually dealt with me involving money knows how ethical I actually am. NUFF SAID

6E87DCAD-2A5E-4E1E-A373-10E851ABB365.gif

14 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Sorry. I take people as I find them. We were talking about online dealers. I like a lot of them but find a couple of things I either don't understand or don't agree with:

MyComicsShop seems to be a consignment store. I usually find their wares - while pretty - mainly vastly overpriced. Perhaps it is a sales shop as well.

Heritage Auctions seems to be grossly overpriced as well with an unreasonable buyers fee attached. I must be misunderstanding certain things.

Also, no one has mentioned Dave and Adams Card Shop or DTA. I think I bought my All Star 7 from DTA. It was a pleasant and fair experience.

I tend to agree on mycomicshop, though I think it's a mixed bag.  Allot of their consignment items seem expensive in my opinion.  I've actually only bought from them directly when I've seen things on eBay they were selling then went to the website to get a cheaper price. 

To their credit, I appreciate their customer service. I've asked questions and gotten quick responses and when people here have questioned them, they've come on to answer questions and have been open to criticism. 

HA I've given up on. Their consignment items are very expensive and I've put in very aggressive bids on several auction items over the years and never won.  With CC and CL I've had no issues. 

Edited by KCOComics

10 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I tend to agree on mycomicshop, though I think it's a mixed bag.  Allot of their consignment items seem expensive in my opinion.  I've actually only bought from them directly when I've seen things on eBay they were selling then went to the website to get a cheaper price. 

To their credit, I appreciate their customer service. I've asked questions and gotten quick responses and when people here have questioned them, they've come on to answer questions and have been open to criticism. 

HA I've given up on. Their consignment items are very expensive and I've put in very aggressive bids on several auction items over the years and never won.  With CC and CL I've had no issues. 

Perhaps it's sellers adding the fees or the sellers premium they would pay if their item sold. I did what you suggested once and went to the web site and didn't see enough differences in pricing to make it worthwhile.

I have tried that as well, selling on CLINK and adding what I thought the fees would roughly be. Doesn't work out too well for me.

HA has a lot of really nice examples but I can't get around the fees. That 9.4 Bat 1 already has over $500,000 in buyer premium applied if I'm reading that correctly. Even for that book, even if I could AFFORD the book, I would likely pass just in principle. My ego doesn't need an erotic massage enough to have to own a 9.4 Bat one plus pay half a mill just in fees. How long would it take to recoup that?

I'll stick with Reece's and the smaller ebay sellers I get to know a little. I just try to be careful. There's a lot of fraud out there and small print sellers. I have learned to ask the boardies here what the sniff is when a seller doesn't feel right.

17 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Heritage Auctions seems to be grossly overpriced as well with an unreasonable buyers fee attached.

I couldn't agree more.

Edited by Math Teacher

3 hours ago, AustinReece_GRRC said:

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to @Randall Ries for the post and to everyone else who chimed in. We definitely appreciate all of the customers on the boards who keep up with us in person at shows and online! 

Since it was brought up, here is a quote from my dad about his appearance on Pawn Stars that he posted last time this was brought up:

"Hi everyone,

I had an absolute blast filming the Pawn Stars episode. Yes, the show is scripted but quite candidly, not nearly as much as you might think. Basically, they give you 3-4 highlights they want you to cover and the rest is freestyle, which is great, because there is 0 chance I could remember that many lines anyway :ohnoez:. The price negotiation is very real but no, I didn't care if I sold a book or not. I was the first "comic guy" (meaning an actual dealer) to appear on the show (there have been several since), and what's not known is, I was auditioning to be the "comic expert", not just a "man on the street". In the time we hooked the details up (nearly 3 months as outlined below), Pawn Stars discovered CGC and made them the experts (I believe Paul Litch has been featured on every comicbook episode since?), before I ever flew to Vegas. That said, my wife and I made a vacation of it and having been a fan of the show for years, it was a no brainer to fly to the desert and spend 4 days in the warm November sunshine. Another little known fact is we almost blew the history channel off when they first reached out. I was sure it was one of my friends playing a joke and didn't take the initial inquiry all that seriously. In the end, it took 3 months from their initial e-mail to actually film the show, and another 7 months from that until it aired. It took about 6 hours to film the scene you ultimately saw but it was one of the fastest 6 hours of my life. I was fascinated with how they filmed my hands, had me make certain motions, etc, much of it long after Rick was gone. Speaking of Rick, he does not translate well on TV, no doubt. Many, many people were thrilled that I effectively told him to "pack sand" on his offers because he comes across as rude and abrupt. In between shoots, he's the consummate gentleman and is passionate about history. He is very knowledgeable in that area and there is no "expert" feeding him information in that arena. He asked me inbetween scenes, "what do you do for a living"?. He almost fell over when I said "I sell comic books". That's when I knew we were in the 1st inning of a 9 inning game! Another interesting thing to note is the Pawn Shop has a duplicate "shop" in the back of the store where the scenes are filmed. So when I showed up I told the guy at the front of the regular shop (there was a huge line to get in), why I was there. I was quickly ushered through the store, through the warehouse and into the green room. I was pretty nervous in the green room but once I got onto the set it just became very natural. Another interesting note about the show is there is no "door from the street". There is a high watt lamp behind a fake door and the scene always starts with the "man on the street" walking in. The film crew gets the extras by going into the real Pawn Shop and calling out for any volunteers to be in the scene. They are given strict instructions to mill around, but make no sounds or eye contact with the "man on the street". The episode debuted during the Wizard Philly Con the next summer and to say my phone blew up would be an understatement. I understand it has since aired 50+ times in 100+ countries. Just amazing!. Pawn Stars asked us back for another scene but I felt like there was simply no way to top the fun I had the first time (not to mention Maryland to Nevada is a far piece of travel) so I reluctantly passed. Best to all, Greg"

Thanks for sharing that history Austin!

But ... why oh why was Greg offering to sell those books raw?  Everybody knows you gotta get those keys slabbed if you want to get fair market value.  :baiting:

Ok. Thank you one of Reece's pieces.. Riveting and informative. 

Now let's get back to what Glorious Leader Bob pays me for.

As humble, just one of the guys, lower case bob  puts it: 

"A vote for me doesn't necessarily mean the comic is free"

But he  will acknowledge your presence, nod from afar and bid you a good day sir or madam.

Edited by Cobbledclam
Typo

18 hours ago, AustinReece_GRRC said:

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to @Randall Ries for the post and to everyone else who chimed in. We definitely appreciate all of the customers on the boards who keep up with us in person at shows and online! 

Since it was brought up, here is a quote from my dad about his appearance on Pawn Stars that he posted last time this was brought up:

"Hi everyone,

I had an absolute blast filming the Pawn Stars episode. Yes, the show is scripted but quite candidly, not nearly as much as you might think. Basically, they give you 3-4 highlights they want you to cover and the rest is freestyle, which is great, because there is 0 chance I could remember that many lines anyway :ohnoez:. The price negotiation is very real but no, I didn't care if I sold a book or not. I was the first "comic guy" (meaning an actual dealer) to appear on the show (there have been several since), and what's not known is, I was auditioning to be the "comic expert", not just a "man on the street". In the time we hooked the details up (nearly 3 months as outlined below), Pawn Stars discovered CGC and made them the experts (I believe Paul Litch has been featured on every comicbook episode since?), before I ever flew to Vegas. That said, my wife and I made a vacation of it and having been a fan of the show for years, it was a no brainer to fly to the desert and spend 4 days in the warm November sunshine. Another little known fact is we almost blew the history channel off when they first reached out. I was sure it was one of my friends playing a joke and didn't take the initial inquiry all that seriously. In the end, it took 3 months from their initial e-mail to actually film the show, and another 7 months from that until it aired. It took about 6 hours to film the scene you ultimately saw but it was one of the fastest 6 hours of my life. I was fascinated with how they filmed my hands, had me make certain motions, etc, much of it long after Rick was gone. Speaking of Rick, he does not translate well on TV, no doubt. Many, many people were thrilled that I effectively told him to "pack sand" on his offers because he comes across as rude and abrupt. In between shoots, he's the consummate gentleman and is passionate about history. He is very knowledgeable in that area and there is no "expert" feeding him information in that arena. He asked me inbetween scenes, "what do you do for a living"?. He almost fell over when I said "I sell comic books". That's when I knew we were in the 1st inning of a 9 inning game! Another interesting thing to note is the Pawn Shop has a duplicate "shop" in the back of the store where the scenes are filmed. So when I showed up I told the guy at the front of the regular shop (there was a huge line to get in), why I was there. I was quickly ushered through the store, through the warehouse and into the green room. I was pretty nervous in the green room but once I got onto the set it just became very natural. Another interesting note about the show is there is no "door from the street". There is a high watt lamp behind a fake door and the scene always starts with the "man on the street" walking in. The film crew gets the extras by going into the real Pawn Shop and calling out for any volunteers to be in the scene. They are given strict instructions to mill around, but make no sounds or eye contact with the "man on the street". The episode debuted during the Wizard Philly Con the next summer and to say my phone blew up would be an understatement. I understand it has since aired 50+ times in 100+ countries. Just amazing!. Pawn Stars asked us back for another scene but I felt like there was simply no way to top the fun I had the first time (not to mention Maryland to Nevada is a far piece of travel) so I reluctantly passed. Best to all, Greg"

That is awesome. I think some people here thought I think (think I thought?) Pawn Stars was real. I'm not naive. My whole thing was "Greg Ain't Gonna Go For Low Ball". Thanks for chiming in and adding Gregs experience.

15 hours ago, Cobbledclam said:

Ok. Thank you one of Reece's pieces.. Riveting and informative. 

Now let's get back to what Glorious Leader Bob pays me for.

As humble, just one of the guys, lower case bob  puts it: 

"A vote for me doesn't necessarily mean the comic is free"

But he  will acknowledge your presence, nod from afar and bid you a good day sir or madam.

Appreciation is appreciation. Business is business. Sometimes the two are still combined. How many times have you been in a store BUYING something and you say "Thanks" to the cashier and they say "You're Welcome"? Or nothing at all? Supposed to be the other way around, right? I appreciated being treated like a human while conducting a business transaction. Mistakenly get sent a 9.8 when I ordered a 9.6? Bring it up to them and am invited to keep it? Thanks for being honest? Not too many dealer might do that. Not too many customers would even bring it up. I still believe in treating people fairly. I'm glad there are still businessmen who feel the same.

Reece's Comics some of the nicest, fun, enthusiastic, fair, easy going, super duper, honest, approachable, well mannered, lovable, always cordial, goofy, family business out there. I've never had a bad time with them. The same with Highgrade Comics. 

Different personalities and such, but thumbs up to both. 

IMG_5693.JPG

I usually like to buy my filler from shows but due to what going on right now I wanted to try online. I saw this thread and did a 20+ order of books from Reeces Rare Comics. I was more than pleased with my order and will be shopping with them again. Thanks to everyone in this thread for recommending them. 

On 1/11/2021 at 3:35 PM, AustinReece_GRRC said:

"Hi everyone,

very cool...cgc had  given them my name, and we had several emails and a conversation about me appearing on the show (not sure if this was at same time or after Greg appeared)..but alas, greg was obviously a better looking, better spoken candidate, and I was informed they had decided not to go with me on the show...c'est la vie

8 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

very cool...cgc had  given them my name, and we had several emails and a conversation about me appearing on the show (not sure if this was at same time or after Greg appeared)..but alas, greg was obviously a better looking, better spoken candidate, and I was informed they had decided not to go with me on the show...c'est la vie

I'm thinking that maybe having two Rick's on the same show might confuse the masses.  Being that you also both are a bit chatty.  It's like being in a conversation with Doug,  you think you are in it but you are just a listener.

Edited by blazingbob

14 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I'm thinking that maybe having two Rick's on the same show might confuse the masses.  Being that you also both are a bit chatty.  It's like being in a conversation with Doug,  you think you are in it but you are just a listener.

they asked me to pitch what book or item(s) I would like to have on the show... I just didn't make the cut...I'm guessing my appearance didn't help my cause (they wanted social media and such, I presume to see if I was camera friendly or not...guess we know which way that decision went!)

3A29D152-7D75-44CE-9585-EAEEB800C90F.jpeg

Edited by G.A.tor

I haven't bought from Reece's online but have bought from them twice at Baltimore Comic Con and was all the better for it; completely genuine and sincerely friendly. I've got to look at their website now. I personally like MyComicShop for quick Bronze Age fill-ins, I haven't dealt with the consignment component of it that I'm aware of. MCS always seems cheap and graded well (again, just in my own experience).