• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good place to start collecting Iron Man
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Hi all, wondering if you had suggestions of where to start an Iron Man collection. I post this here as I really love Bronze Age, but I would not be opposed to the idea of starting in Silver or Copper either. Demon In a Bottle seemed like an idea of a place to start, but wondered if there was better jumping on points for classic Iron Man. 55 seemed like a logical start as well, but I thought maybe to try to let the Thanos dust settle a little, but that issue could very likely maintain value or continue to grow as well. Any ideas are appreciated!

55 minutes ago, d_russ84 said:

That would make it starting at Copper and working back towards Bronze and uo to modern. Maybe start with the O'Neil run.

Iron Man was a pretty rough read through the Silver and Bronze age. Really, the David Michelinie / Romita Jr /Bob Layton run that started around #116 was the Golden Age for Iron Man. If you do want to dip into the Bronze Age, I have a real fondness for the picture frame run from around #42-50, as that was when I started collecting Iron Man.

1 hour ago, boomtown said:

Iron Man was a pretty rough read through the Silver and Bronze age. Really, the David Michelinie / Romita Jr /Bob Layton run that started around #116 was the Golden Age for Iron Man. If you do want to dip into the Bronze Age, I have a real fondness for the picture frame run from around #42-50, as that was when I started collecting Iron Man.

This is kind of the concern I have. It seems like Iron Man doesn't have as many key issues or acclaimed runs as other titles. And that doesn't mean there probably isn't some great stuff in there, just not as reliable as the more "top tier" BA Spideys and X-Men. 

5 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

This.

Starting at #116 and up to #150 is one of the very best runs of Iron Man. You can’t go wrong with these. Action/espionage type stories with excellent guest stars & villains throughout!

I had a feeling the Michelinie run is the place to go to. And man do I wish I would have had this idea 10 years ago before I took a collecting hiatus lol. Still, relatively low cost stuff that won't break the bank by any means.

My favorite Iron Man period starts around issue 65-66 where he battles Dr Spectrum, then fights Thor, and soon after you have the War of the Super-villains. Back then, Iron Man was powerful, bu not over powered,  had to carry his suit in a briefcase and constantly worried about running out of juice.  These BA books are really cheap but good reads. While I enjoyed the run up to issue 150, the run from around 65-90 is my favorite.

The Iron Man outfit with a nose and nuclear roller skates is still my favorite armor.

1 hour ago, ganni said:

George Tuska run was a great run.  Guess you have to ask yourself. Are you an investor or a collector ?

God bless George Tuska.

A collector more than an investor! I would probably not think of flipping these issues, it sure is fun seeing them gain value though. There have only been a few times I have flipped comics, and when that does happen it gets "reinvested" - aka the collection grows!

2 hours ago, ganni said:

George Tuska run was a great run.  Guess you have to ask yourself. Are you an investor or a collector ?

God bless George Tuska.

OkTkYG3.gif

Have you actually, you know, seen George Tuska's art? I know taste in art is subjective but yikes!

Edited by Jeffro.

49 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Have you actually, you know, seen George Tuska's art? I know taste in art is subjective but yikes!

George Tuska art has an advantage.  His helmet has a nose.:bigsmile:

11 hours ago, Dr Zen said:

I know it's copper, but I really enjoyed Denny O'Neil's run from ~160 to 200. Except for a few issues, most of them are really inexpensive.

The stories were good but I couldn’t warm up to Luke McDonnell’s art at the time.

Edited by Paul_Maul

7 hours ago, Paul_Maul said:

The stories were good but I couldn’t warm up to Luke McDonald’s art at the time.

Luke McDonald art was in Marvel standard.  He gave Ironman helmet back to a cold look expression.  His drawing is like clay sculpture.

22 hours ago, Paul_Maul said:

The stories were good but I couldn’t warm up to Luke McDonnell’s art at the time.

It was a bit of a shock to get used to, after the long Romita JR/Layton run.

I like the artwork more now than I did at the time.

Same with Romita JR when he went over to X-Men, after following Paul Smith.
I loved Smith's run on the X-Men, but it took a few months to begin to like JRs work on the title.