• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics from 80s
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Depends on the comic and your own specific comic preferences.

use eBay sold prices as a rough guide to pricing and do your own math of slabbed vs raw.  Make sure you factor in all appropriate costs

good luck

For one grading a modern comic 1975 - present costs $20 per book plus shipping. Obviously if you send in 1 book then the shipping will probably make the whole transaction close to $50 bucks. If you send in 10+ books then the shipping fee becomes less of a factor. Books in modern tier may not be valued over $200. I guess it comes down to what books they are. What ya got?

If you think a "raw" book will sell for ~$50.00 (and you can look at ebay and such to get an idea of what the raw books actually sell for - not what dealers price them at) then the math is "how much more does a CGC graded book sell for?"  They (usually) sell for more, so the question is does the increased value justify the cost of getting the book slabbed.  I figure you need the slabbed value to be at least $30.00 higher than the raw value just to break even.  I doubt that $50.00 books are usually going to be worth it.  My mental cut off has been that books over $100.00 might be worth it, but I haven't done the research.

Of course, people get books slabbed for other reasons than increasing re-sale value also, but that doesn't sound like what you're talking about.    

Very few raw books from the 80s sell for $50 each in less than 9.4, so the odds of you having hundreds of them are pretty low.

If you go to mycomicshop.com, you will see example after example of a book where the 9.8 is offered for $125 and a VF of the same book is $7.20. Most, but obviously not all, MCS VFs would be 9.0s in many dealers wares.

13 hours ago, SellinMyCollection said:

All,  

just a question.  I have a couple of hundred comics from the 80s in 8.5 -9plus condition.   They are valued at $50 each.  Why would I get then graded?  They are worth $50 each and grading costs the value of the comic.  CGC IS great but in my case is it cost effective?

no

good conversation, wondering some similar things

"from the 80s in 8.5 -9plus condition." I spent 3 hours trying to figure out condition of my comics, howd you figure this out? if pages are clean but its not pure white, pages are cream/non white, how does that effect value? any idea? easy way to measure this? thanks!

36 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Who valued these at $50? What books are they?

Some books you are right it is not worth grading them unless you like the book and want it encapsulated. In fact, probably 80% of all comics ever created are not “worth” grading.

If we are talking average 80s books, it might be closer to 95% of them.

A final point I will add here is that it is most likely that “insert website or price guide you used to determine your book’s value here” is saying that a NM graded copy is worth $50.

Typically a NM raw is less, sometimes substantially so. For example, a 9.0 graded copy of Avengers 223 might sell for $50 graded. The same copy raw is closer to $15 or so if lucky. Just to put in perspective...

Still doesn’t really make it worth grading but rather means if you try to sell that book raw for $50, it’s likely gonna sit a loooooong time

Edited by comicginger1789

Ok. One of the questions I had was what are they.  So let’s see a list of some of them 

kitty pride and Wolverine 1-4

iron man 150

marvel presents 3

gi joe 1-6

punisher 1-5

secret wars all

alpha flight 1-5

Thor 338

rom 1-20

thats just part of 1 stack with hulk 181 in there somewhere as well as as X-men 100 plus

may not be selling but trying to see what I have   Paid cover price so making money regardless  

love the No from TF though

On 1/10/2021 at 3:34 PM, YusakeYojimbo said:

good conversation, wondering some similar things

"from the 80s in 8.5 -9plus condition." I spent 3 hours trying to figure out condition of my comics, howd you figure this out? if pages are clean but its not pure white, pages are cream/non white, how does that effect value? any idea? easy way to measure this? thanks!

If you’re asking “how to figure out condition?” I’d suggest spending some time in the Spare A Grade? and the Grading & Restoration threads.  As for page quality, most generally would prefer white or white to off-white over tan, cream, etc., but that’s really on a case by case basis as not every book exists in a “fresh off the press” condition depending on a variety of factors including age, storage conditions, type of paper printed on, etc.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/27-comic-book-grading-and-restoration-issues/

Edited by steveinthecity

3 hours ago, SellinMyCollection said:

Ok. One of the questions I had was what are they.  So let’s see a list of some of them 

iron man 150

marvel presents 3

gi joe 1-6

punisher 1-5

secret wars all

alpha flight 1-5

Thor 338

rom 1-20

thats just part of 1 stack with hulk 181 in there somewhere as well as as X-men 100 plus

may not be selling but trying to see what I have   Paid cover price so making money regardless  

The two valuable books you mention are a decade older than the ones listed. How'd that happen?

14 hours ago, SellinMyCollection said:

iron man 150

marvel presents 3

gi joe 1-6

punisher 1-5

secret wars all

alpha flight 1-5

Thor 338

rom 1-20

If you think these are valued at $50 each in those, then you probably wouldn't mind buying them at say....$30 each to make an easy $20 per.

On 1/9/2021 at 11:20 PM, SellinMyCollection said:

All,  

just a question.  I have a couple of hundred comics from the 80s in 8.5 -9plus condition.   They are valued at $50 each.  Why would I get then graded?  They are worth $50 each and grading costs the value of the comic.  CGC IS great but in my case is it cost effective?

only reason to get them graded is if you want to lose money.