• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-holdering cracked signature series case?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I recently purchased a book with a Stan Lee autograph, but upon receiving it, the bottom-right corner was cracked. The bottom-right post in the holder was loose as a result of this, but none of the other corners are affected. I am not worried the seller switched any books out, as there are other minor imperfections on the case (small scratches) that are present in the pre-sale pictures.

There is no damage to the book or inner-holder, but the crack is very unsightly - and having paid good $, I want to have peace of mind.

May I ask:

1) What is then process for re-holdering a signature series comic?

2) I imagine part of the authenticity of a signature series book, is that its holder matches the time-period of the signing. For instance, this was signed by SL in 2010, and so it has the older 'first generation' holder, with the label on top, the older hologram, etc. Does a new re-holdered signature series state the date of re-holdering on the tag?

3) I live in Canada (Cambridge, ON) and I don't like the notion of sending expensive books/items through the mail, for risk of loss or damage (such as cracked cases!). Is there a way to-reholder this book working more locally? Or, am I forced to mail it to Florida?

4) Let's say I do not fix the case, since I plan to keep the book as a sentimental item for many years. Will the cracked case affect anything, or have any negative repercussions? (As I mentioned, the bottom-right post is affected, but the rest are untouched, and the book could not and has not been removed).

5) If I submit the book for re-holdering, can the grade actually go up or down? (I have provided a pic below to show the damage). Again, there is no damage on any inner-casings.

If someone can please answer some of these questions for me, I would be extremely grateful.  Thank you!!

3 - large crack on casing .jpg

IMG_0084.JPG

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message. We do offer a reholder service.  It is $15 per book for books valued up to $10,000.  You do need to be a paid member of our Collector's Society in order to submit to us directly, however.  You can find out more about signing up here: How to Submit | CGC (cgccomics.com)

If you are not a member and do not wish to sign up then you could also submit your book through an authorized CGC dealer and the dealer could send it in on your behalf.  We have a listing of dealers on our website here: Dealer Listing | Certified Guaranty Company, LLC (cgccomics.com)

Books that are reholdered would not state anything pertaining to the reholder on the label. Grades are never guaranteed once the book is cracked out of the holder but as long as you submit the book still in the holder and there was no damage to the book when the holder was cracked then it would most likely retain the same grade.  

If you have any questions, you can reach our customer service department at 877-662-6642 or by email at submissions@cgccomics.com. Thanks!

Thank you for your speedy answer!  May I ask:

(1) What the speed of re-holdering is now, considering COVID and its effect on operations?  For instance, upon receiving a valuable silver-age SS book, how long would it take CGC to re-holder and send back?  

(2) There is a big crack on the case, but I cannot see any damage to the book itself. However, what level of damage would actually cause the book to be dropped from a 3.0 to a 2.5? Has this happened in the past? (I had thought the book was more like a 3.5 to begin with -- hence my purchase -- but I don't want the grade to be dropped, obviously!)

Thanks for your time and your help!