• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyer Beware!!! Incredible Hulk #180 CBCS 9.4 Listing on Ebay
1 1

59 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Dude lost money.  Unless he cancels the sale. 

1.jpg.5a2e608bbaac43d355c04717be3a7fff.jpg

$798 = approx $685 net. Unless that top bidder is his shill account, I don't think he's going to accept losing nearly $300. Even if he ponied up a $1000 shill bid, which I'm guessing would have been the shill's proxy, he still would have lost once ebay fees are deducted. His mistake was busting it out of the CGC case. Looked fine as a 5.0 or 5.0, but trying to pass that off as a 7.5? he should have left it slabbed and swallowed the $100 loss on fees with a resell for about the same amount. 

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

$798 = approx $685 net. Unless that top bidder is his shill account, I don't think he's going to accept losing nearly $300. Even if he ponied up a $1000 shill bid, which I'm guessing would have been the shill's proxy, he still would have lost once ebay fees are deducted. His mistake was busting it out of the CGC case. Looked fine as a 5.0 or 5.0, but trying to pass that off as a 7.5? he should have left it slabbed and swallowed the $100 loss on fees with a resell for about the same amount. 

Is he really losing money? I thought he was buying slabbed books, cracking them, and selling a less inferior book with the higher grade label. That phony book might sell for less than the original book he cracked out, but he's still got the higher graded book that can be slabbed again and assumingly sell for as much as he spent. In the end, he got more money for the book he overgraded ( compared to what he would have got for an honest grade) and equal money for the original book he cracked out.

Slimy operation for sure, but I still put a large amount of fault on the buyers who are bidding way too high for these books.

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

he's probably paying tax and shipping for those purchases also

2 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

Is he really losing money? I thought he was buying slabbed books, cracking them, and selling a less inferior book with the higher grade label. That phony book might sell for less than the original book he cracked out, but he's still got the higher graded book that can be slabbed again and assumingly sell for as much as he spent. In the end, he got more money for the book he overgraded ( compared to what he would have got for an honest grade) and equal money for the original book he cracked out.

Slimy operation for sure, but I still put a large amount of fault on the buyers who are bidding way too high for these books.

Yes. He lost. he bought a TTA 35 in CGC 5.5 for $975 or so. he cracked it open and resold that same book in that CGC 5.5 slab/label as a raw 7.5 for $790. Now out of that $790, about $100 go to seller fees. So on that book, he lost about $300, unless his shill account was the winner, in which case he will lose nothing and relist the book at a later date, as I suspect.  And as previously stated, if he does that, he will have exposed his shill account, which probably doubles as his buying account. Ebay doesn't show the member name, just 5 jumbled characters instead, but they do allow you to see the feedback score. That will assist me to identify that other account if the TTA 35 shows up for sale relisted (unless a buyer returns it, which would be no surprise, so hideously overgraded a "7.5")

Edited by James J Johnson

5 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

Of course, what he may have done is lose a battle but win the war. He made at least $1000, after seller fees, on his AS 18 listing, so if he did let the book go to a legit bidder at a $300 loss, he's still way out in front by about $700 on both the TTA 35 + AS 18 profit combined. Then there was the AS 129, probably bought for $1500 or less, auctioned for $2400; so all in all it was a profitable group of listings for him. Ten again, you have to consider that when you're sending out raw books whose technical grades are 4 to 8 tics lower than the listed grades, the risk of return/automatic refund is enormous, which is why BeatleBlueCat always seems to have so many GSXM 1, AS 129, Hulk 181, AS 300, etc. (many unhappy returns) to relist. 

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Of course, what he may have done is lose a battle but win the war. He made at least $1000, after seller fees, on his AS 18 listing, so if he did let the book go to a legit bidder at a $300 loss, he's still way out in front by about $700 on both the TTA 35 + AS 18 profit combined. Then there was the AS 129, probably bought for $1500 or less, auctioned for $2400; so all in all it was a profitable group of listings for him. Ten again, you have to consider that when you're sending out raw books whose technical grades are 4 to 8 tics lower than the listed grades, the risk of return/automatic refund is enormous, which is why BeatleBlueCat always seems to have so many GSXM 1, AS 129, Hulk 181, AS 300, etc. (many unhappy returns) to relist. 

And there's one more angle here.  He now has a legit label for TTA 35 CGC 5.5. If I were rectal haberdashery like this person, I'd buy a raw or restored 3.0 and offer it as a cracked out CGC 5.5.  Find the right sucker and make up the $300 loss, perhaps even turn it to a profit.

40 minutes ago, SOTIcollector said:

And there's one more angle here.  He now has a legit label for TTA 35 CGC 5.5. If I were rectal haberdashery like this person, I'd buy a raw or restored 3.0 and offer it as a cracked out CGC 5.5.  Find the right sucker and make up the $300 loss, perhaps even turn it to a profit.

:whatthe:

Another reply from this eBay seller:

The hulk 180 was with the wrong label and just mixed up, i closed the auction as soon as i found out. If i buy a book and it has pressable defects and can upgrade, it is not unethical to sell like that. Pressers and buyers know what there buying. There not buying the comic on the blind. Collectors in the forum can get over it, everyone is doing it. I have several graded books that were graded, pressed several times to achieve better grades. This is the world we live in with collecting unfortunately. I don't really care what anyone says, when i know almost every dealer or seller does exactly what im doing. 

35 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

The hulk 180 was with the wrong label and just mixed up, i closed the auction as soon as i found out. If i buy a book and it has pressable defects and can upgrade, it is not unethical to sell like that. Pressers and buyers know what there buying. There not buying the comic on the blind. Collectors in the forum can get over it, everyone is doing it. I have several graded books that were graded, pressed several times to achieve better grades. This is the world we live in with collecting unfortunately. I don't really care what anyone says, when i know almost every dealer or seller does exactly what im doing. 

And the ethics award goes to… That guy!

You know what, I think I’ll start selling mid-grade unsigned, un-slabbed books as SS 9.4 yellow labels.  Some extra effort on the buyer’s part required post-sale.

44 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I don't really care what anyone says, when i know almost every dealer or seller does exactly what im doing. 

What a strange guy. One second he's apologizing for his mistake and another he's legitimizing his crookery by stating that everyone is as big of a piece of trash as he is. 

18 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Agree with you on this. He's winning the war...for now....but eventually this will catch up to him. Reminds me....I wonder how our Polished Gem Comics friend is doing?