• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do I need to know as a rookie CGC member?

8 posts in this topic

Hello and greetings to anyone who takes a moment of their day to answer my lengthy question and to help guide my confusion. New member here, created this account a few hours ago and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the detail provided.

My uncle passed recently and I claimed his collection of roughly 700+ comics of various titles, including ranging from bronze age comics to early 90s like, the X-men Onslaught event, and ton of Rob Liefeld and Todd Mcfarlane Spider-Man. I like comics but in no way am I an expert here and I also realize this is an odd question/request. If I didn't claim the comics, my family would've had probably donated them to church/library/shelter and I thought they would be better suited with me since I knew the age of most of these (35-55 years old) and thought some could be historically significant/or find a few hidden gems in his collection. 

There are a few I would like to slab regardless of their condition as a way to remember him, these being, for example, his Uncanny X-men #2 or his Invaders #1, and among a few others. I will be honest, they are not in the best condition, I'd guess probably 2s or 3s, so I understand that these may not be financially "worth" slabbing, but that doesn't really matter to me. My goal is to slab these to preserve them along with his memory.

I guess my first question is, if I send these titles to CGC to be slabbed, will the comics be gauged for their condition regardless before being slabbed or can I just have them slabbed and be done with it? 

My second question is do I have to send them individually to be slabbed, or can I send a group and if so then, how many per group?

I will be grateful for any who  attempts to answer. I'd very much like to hear the perspective of others more keen on this process. Hope all reading has a blessed day. 

condolences on the passing of your Uncle.

CGC would only take condition into account  if you used the 'pre-screen' option where you tell them only to slab comics that pass whatever grade you want as your minimum threshold

You can ship them all together to CGC. When you fill out your order, you have to select grading tiers.   CGC will treat each submission tier as a separate return order.  So your 1 package sent to them could result in multiple shipping orders back to you (sent at different times as each tier has it's own 'turnaround' time). You can ship as many as you want to them

I think CGC shipping slabs back to you is limited to around 25

Lots of videos on YouTube on the submission process as well as packing comics securely.  I would say not to rush into anything until you educate yourself enough.  CGC isn't going anywhere.

Lots of good info here on this board too so experiment with the search feature  as questions like this have been answered many times

If you want to get an idea of what slabbed comics go for, you could peek at goCollect.com which has a free option to show  slabbed values based on grade. You could also try Ebay sold listings as well as creating free accounts on auction sites like Heritage etc

good luck

On 1/12/2021 at 11:13 AM, E5150 said:

CGC's job is to grade comics so yes, it will be "gauged". If you don't want that you can buy some Mylar sleeves which are just as good as CGC slabs.

So you're asking if you have 20 comics do you need to send 20 different  packages?? Does that make sense to you?

He should have said, “sorry for your loss“ and tried to be not quite so cold. 
Glad you found your way here. I don’t post much but have been here for 8 years and this is generally a great place for info. 
You can send multiple books or a large lump. It depends how much money you can afford to put into it at a given time. 
Again, welcome and hope you enjoy your time here! 

Edited by Chalwa
Spelling

Hey, it's alright guys. We're all just people behind the comfort of a computer screen. No reason to squabble over a stranger's uncle over the internet. That wasn't my intention. All I wanted to do was be clear upfront about my about my situation. I asked for your input and I'm fine with whatever that will be.

Nearly all 700 are currently in sleeves, give or take a few dozen that I guess he chose weren't worth it (mostly Richie Rich and some Gold Key comics). I always thought of slabbing as a more secure, or more adapt way at preventing deterioration of of the comic. Are sleeves just as effective?

2 hours ago, darthrevan271 said:

Hey, it's alright guys. We're all just people behind the comfort of a computer screen. No reason to squabble over a stranger's uncle over the internet. That wasn't my intention. All I wanted to do was be clear upfront about my about my situation. I asked for your input and I'm fine with whatever that will be.

Nearly all 700 are currently in sleeves, give or take a few dozen that I guess he chose weren't worth it (mostly Richie Rich and some Gold Key comics). I always thought of slabbing as a more secure, or more adapt way at preventing deterioration of of the comic. Are sleeves just as effective?

Mylars and acid free backing boards (not the kind thats just  coated on 1 side) should be just as effective. 

Whats really important is temperature,humidity  and lighting conditions.

On 1/16/2021 at 5:36 AM, darthrevan271 said:

Yes, and not only that but they may be better.  Mylar (or Mylytes) and acid free backing boards are archival. They also don't end up taking as much space as a CGC case, cost way less and (best of all), you can revisit your treasured comics whenever you want. You also don't lose sight of them and regarding their looks, sleeves give you a much better and clear look at your comic. The CGC slab will have this extra blue tint and possible ugly effects like plastic rings detracting from the comic's beauty.

If preservation is the key point, then definitely go for the mylar/mylytes.

Oh and to answer your other question, if sending to CGC, you can send them all at once but depending on the age and worth of the comic, you will have to file seperate orders. Pricier comics are graded faster (just their policy) and so they will be shipped back to you quicker. That means more costs for you.

Honestly, from reading your story, I really think you are better off with nice sleeves.