• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

True value of a key comic

33 posts in this topic

Imagine there is an auction for a key comic, let's say one that is quite rare/high grade and would typically sell for $100K.

You are a wealthy individual who could afford the full $100K.

However there is a condition of the sale... you can never sell the comic. Once you buy it, you can never sell or trade it. You can give it away buy whoever then owns it also has the same condition i.e. they can never sell/trade it. If you keep it to you die then it could be passed on to someone but the same conditions apply.

So the question is... under those conditions, how much would you be prepared to pay for this comic? Answer can be in actual $ or as a percentage (so the actual amount is irrelevant).

Essentially you are giving a figure to 'rent' the comic.

2 minutes ago, wilbil said:

you are not selling it or buying it, only investing in it, and you have no control over selling it. only jeff spicoli from rallyrd. is selling it.:banana:

You need to focus on the billy goats gruff clippity-clopping over your bridge.

The real problem with the scenario are all the variables. How wealthy are we talking?  Pretty well off? Then I wouldn't buy something I couldn't dump in an emergency. 

8 figures in the bank? Am I still working or is that what I'm living off?  I would probably be willing to spend into 6 figures to get a Tec27 and never sell it. Hand it down to my kids or grandkids.  

30 minutes ago, valiantman said:

You need to focus on the billy goats gruff clippity-clopping over your bridge.

lol That was awesome!!! lol

The thing that gets me about "key" books, is you'll have multiple dealers drift through here with 5-10 copies each. That tells me most things are waaaaaaaaaaaayyy artificially inflated.

I know, not on the the current topic, but it is what I think about today's keys, tomorrow's unmovable objects.

4 hours ago, AgingCuber said:

Imagine there is an auction for a key comic, let's say one that is quite rare/high grade and would typically sell for $100K.

However there is a condition of the sale... you can never sell the comic. Once you buy it, you can never sell or trade it. You can give it away buy whoever then owns it also has the same condition i.e. they can never sell/trade it. If you keep it to you die then it could be passed on to someone but the same conditions apply.

So the question is... under those conditions, how much would you be prepared to pay for this comic? Answer can be in actual $ or as a percentage (so the actual amount is irrelevant).

How are you buying it if no one can sell it??

29 minutes ago, wilbil said:

ridgemont high, for the benefit of those pondering jeff's credentials.

lets be honest. it is a dumb scenario, right out of jeff's brain.

I just always feel bad when someone asks a question, and you get 30 posts about RallyRd and no one answers. 

So let it be known, if someone wants to gift me a Tec27, I promise I won't sell it..... 

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

The real problem with the scenario are all the variables. How wealthy are we talking?  Pretty well off? Then I wouldn't buy something I couldn't dump in an emergency. 

8 figures in the bank? Am I still working or is that what I'm living off?  I would probably be willing to spend into 6 figures to get a Tec27 and never sell it. Hand it down to my kids or grandkids.  

I have 8 figures in the bank.  That is if you count the numbers after the decimal point.  XX,000.001

Most people are prepared to spend big bucks because they think they will eventually be able to sell it and get most, if not more, money back.

In this case you are actually renting the comic (for life) i.e. the money spent is never recovered. So, would you really be prepared to spend $100K under those terms? 

6 hours ago, AgingCuber said:

You are implying that simply because I cannot resell the book, I shouldn't pay its current market value? Or rather that someone wouldn't?

First things first, we all love a deal. I like to get my books for as much under "value" or "commonly sold price" as much as the next guy. That being said, sometimes a book comes up that you don't see often and you buy it. I've paid $50 for books that if I was reaalllllty patient, maybe I find one for $30 or so and hey, maybe $30 is the more common sale price. But because I don't see it often and I want it, I pay a bit more to have it. And my intentions for books that I do this for is not to sell.

Case in point, a book I bought this past year was 3-D Sheena #1 (the one with Dave Stevens cover art). Raw, this book sells anywhere from $5-20 in VF shape or so. And there are never a ton of sales because not a ton of people are hunting it. So when I saw one that looked decent for $20, I grabbed it because I wanted it. I could have shopped around and waiting and this and that and found a copy cheaper but I didn't mind paying for it at the time one bit. I have that book, zero intentions to sell, and zero care if down the road I ever make my $20 back (or a profit) from selling it.

So I guess for me, if is a book I wanted enough, I would spend the $100K. Would I like to get it for 9-95K? Sure! But sometimes if you like something enough, the time to buy is the time you see it. What if I don't see another one for years? or ever? Granted with a book like 3-D Sheena #1, that isn't the case but I felt it was the time to grab it as I had not bought something in a couple weeks and it was something I wanted. I feel I would apply the same logic in this scenario.

Final note.....that Sheena comic came with a double cover :) Sometimes buying it when you see it gives you that extra reward!

1 hour ago, Angel of Death said:

$0.

I will not be told what to do with my property, whether it was paid for or not.

This is basically my attitude.

Once it has been sold to me and it's in my possession, what exactly is the seller going to do to keep me from doing whatever I want with it? And how do they plan on enforcing that I wonder? :sumo:

51 minutes ago, AgingCuber said:

Most people are prepared to spend big bucks because they think they will eventually be able to sell it and get most, if not more, money back.

In this case you are actually renting the comic (for life) i.e. the money spent is never recovered. So, would you really be prepared to spend $100K under those terms? 

I feel like I don't understand collectors constantly flipping books. Like, they buy a great books like AF #15 and say how proud they are and how much they love it and how it is a grail.

Then, a year later (or less), they have sold it and moved on to something else. Did they ever REALLY love it? Were they just in love with the fact they had it and the fact they could profit off it? It seems like a lot of these collectors just love the thrill of buying and selling and have a hard time focusing. They chase what's hot or they want whatever mega key now and if it changes, they change. 

Now, I am not saying we all must die with our books in our possession. I get people downsize, I get focuses change and so I totally understand selling books to move towards another goal. I just have a hard time connecting with collectors whose goals change all the time. Like one day it's "I love this great Hulk #181, grail of my collection!" and then two months later they sell for a profit to fund something else. Did they really love it? Are they funding a better book? Or are they just chasing that feeling or making money on something and trying to find the next book to do the same with? That is not why I collect but I know there are those who do. 

1 minute ago, BoogieWoogie said:

This is basically my attitude.

Once it has been sold to me and it's in my possession, what exactly is the seller going to do to keep me from doing whatever I want with it? And how do they plan on enforcing that I wonder? :sumo:

Unbreakable Vow from Harry Potter. :insane:

Just now, comicginger1789 said:

I feel like I don't understand collectors constantly flipping books. Like, they buy a great books like AF #15 and say how proud they are and how much they love it and how it is a grail.

Then, a year later (or less), they have sold it and moved on to something else. Did they ever REALLY love it? Were they just in love with the fact they had it and the fact they could profit off it? It seems like a lot of these collectors just love the thrill of buying and selling and have a hard time focusing. They chase what's hot or they want whatever mega key now and if it changes, they change. 

Now, I am not saying we all must die with our books in our possession. I get people downsize, I get focuses change and so I totally understand selling books to move towards another goal. I just have a hard time connecting with collectors whose goals change all the time. Like one day it's "I love this great Hulk #181, grail of my collection!" and then two months later they sell for a profit to fund something else. Did they really love it? Are they funding a better book? Or are they just chasing that feeling or making money on something and trying to find the next book to do the same with? That is not why I collect but I know there are those who do. 

I found that the desire to own books subsides once you own them.