• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 - advice please...
2 2

47 posts in this topic

22 years ago I put together 3 complete McFarlane runs ...all bought from Ebay.

This year I sent the #300s to CGC to be graded and I just got the grades...im less than thrilled.

I actually had trouble sleeping last night I was so worked up.

The best one came back a 9.0 - off white to white

Light increasing to cover...light stuffing to cover...light spine stress lines to cover

The other 2 both came back 5.5s.

5.5 white pages

Moderate bends to cover...mod creasing to cover...moderate spine stress lines to cover

5.5 off white to white

Light creasing to cover...moderate bends to cover...mod spine stress lines to cover...mod staining to cover

I'm a bit shocked at the 5.5s because I figured for a book to be that low it would have to have some rips, writing or structural damage...loose or rusty staples etc.

I'm also a bit baffled that 2 books I bought 20 years ago, from 2 diff sellers, both came back with the same low grade.

What are the odds?

My main question is, in your opinion, how high would a pressing raise these grades?

I haven't received them yet so I can't post pics.

Sorry for ranting it's just I was expecting nothing lower than a 7.0 and I'm sure you've all been where I am right now.

I'm getting past the anger stage and moving toward acceptance...lol

Thanks for reading.

Well, I guess I'm terrible at grading based on my estimates.

I prob should have had them pressed.

I prob had a false sense of security because I also sent in 2 of the 299s and 316s along with the 300s and I got them back quicker.

The 299s came back 9.8 and 8.0 both with white pages.

The 316s both came back 9.4s...off white to white

It never crossed my mind the 300s would be such a lower grade.

Like I said, I bought em 22 years ago so they weren't all that old at the time and I know I took good care of them

I changed the bags and boards every year.

I'll post pics when I get them back.

There are a lot of defects that are basically invisible without close inspection (finger prints, finger bends, slight waviness, tiny spine ticks, etc.) that will detract from the final grade. Moderate flaws more so than slight ones, and the more that are present the lower the grade will be. They all add up and WILL be seen by the grader. There are a lot of 8.0+ books that on first glance look almost indistinguishable from 9.8s.

Without even seeing the 5.5's, chances are your best bet will be to CPR those (crack, press, resubmit).  For the cost vs. the possible upside, the math will tell you to take the chance.

The others, you would have to take a harder look at to make that decision.

Edited by Lightning55

On 1/12/2021 at 10:16 AM, lostboys said:

Well, I guess I'm terrible at grading based on my estimates.

I prob should have had them pressed.

I prob had a false sense of security because I also sent in 2 of the 299s and 316s along with the 300s and I got them back quicker.

The 299s came back 9.8 and 8.0 both with white pages.

The 316s both came back 9.4s...off white to white

It never crossed my mind the 300s would be such a lower grade.

Like I said, I bought em 22 years ago so they weren't all that old at the time and I know I took good care of them

I changed the bags and boards every year.

I'll post pics when I get them back.

One thing to take a close look at is the back cover spine area of Spidey 300. It being almost completely black will show every tiny imperfection, color breaking or not that will affect the grade regardless of how close to 9.8 the front cover may look.

Sorry guys, I don't know how to reply to specific posts...hows it done?

To the one question about holding it in the light...i did and I could for sure see defects but I just didn't expect anything lower than a 7

If a 9.6 can have a few defects...how many does it take to get all the way down to a 5.5?

I can understand if there's a rip...a loose staple or writing on the cover but for light creasing and light bends?

To the other question..yep, this was the first group of books I've sent in to be graded.

The 300s took a looooooong time.

4 hours ago, lostboys said:

If a 9.6 can have a few defects...how many does it take to get all the way down to a 5.5?

It’s not only the amount of defects but the severity gets taken into account too.

There is a "quote" function at the bottom of the posts so you can reply to specific posts.

As to your books: i suspect your 300's may also have some staining to be dropped so low.

As others have said post pictures when you finally receive them.

One of them did say cover stain but I don't remember worrying about that when I sent an in.

Hey, I trust CGC and won't shy away from sending in more books...i have 6 scheduled for grading right now.

I'll make sure to temper my expectations this time

9 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

There is a "quote" function at the bottom of the posts so you can reply to specific posts.

As to your books: i suspect your 300's may also have some staining to be dropped so low.

As others have said post pictures when you finally receive them.

Got it!

1 minute ago, lostboys said:

One of them did say cover stain but I don't remember worrying about that when I sent an in.

Hey, I trust CGC and won't shy away from sending in more books...i have 6 scheduled for grading right now.

I'll make sure to temper my expectations this time

Keep in mind that CGC's opinion is not the be-all end-all, either. I asked if you're adept at grading, because sometimes people think their books are "pristine", but CGC does employ professional graders for a reason.

It seems like you may know what you're looking for, but you may have missed a few things. I am certainly interested in seeing some pics when you have them in hand.