• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 - advice please...
2 2

47 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, lostboys said:

Thanks for looking!

I'm not gonna send em back in...not anytime soon anyway.

Just out of curiosity...if I were to resub em in a few years, would it be better to crack em myself?

you can send them as is and they can crack them.

22 minutes ago, lostboys said:

I have faith in them...i got some pleasant surprises back too. I just need to learn how to grade a bit better.  I'll be reading all the old threads.

I also wanna make sure I give some love to CGC because i've gotten back 14 books so far and every case has been clean...no scratches or anything weird inside the cases. They all look great.

take advantage of the "Please Grade My.." thread and post your books there. Let the boards / members help you learn.

It is also great that you have some slabs. Compare your existing slabs to books you want to send in.

On 1/12/2021 at 8:31 AM, lostboys said:

I'm a bit shocked at the 5.5s because I figured for a book to be that low it would have to have some rips, writing or structural damage...loose or rusty staples etc.

Unrelated. Bends and creases can bring a book down to the 5.0 range just as much as rips and such and structural damage (like water damage or stains, even small ones) will bring a book down to the 4.0 range. 

The amount of defects is also unrelated. One colour break can bring a book down to a 7.0, a bigger bend can bring it down to a 5.0 and a lengthwide bend will bring it down to a 4.0. And that is just 1 defect.

In your case, you had some colour break, some staple tears, and creases in the back. Enough to bring it down to the 5.0 range. 

Edited by William-James88

I'd roll the dice on press and resubmit. I sent in an ASM300 a few years ago and it came back a 6.0 with grading notes that didn't match the book at all. Sent it back, no press just re-grade, and it came back an 8.5

CGC is like a box of chocolates...

On the 5.5's, the best I can see is a press maybe getting them to 6.0.

You got hammered for the things that others already mentioned plus any staining always seems to hurt. And on a buys cover like that, staining can be hard to see. The right light, even the proper light, would reveal some of what CGC mentioned in their notes. 

When in doubt, hit up the "Hey buddy can ya spare a grade" forum here for feedback from fellow collectors. Sometimes they give ya the harsh reality, sometimes they confirm your beliefs and occasionally they cause even more confusion :pullhair:. Either way, it's great fun!

17 hours ago, lostboys said:

I have faith in them...i got some pleasant surprises back too. I just need to learn how to grade a bit better.  I'll be reading all the old threads.

I also wanna make sure I give some love to CGC because i've gotten back 14 books so far and every case has been clean...no scratches or anything weird inside the cases. They all look great.

Everyone has different opinions on collecting comics or at least there are a lot of sharp differences for example I hate signature series (it defaces a comic and makes me sad esp when I see a horrid signature on an AF15- but I have exceptions on this rule).  Decide what your collecting needs are and stay true to them and evolve over time but with purpose and passion.  Personally when I look at books from the 1980s, which have huge populations in the top tiers in 9.8 and 9.6 - I won’t pay top dollar for any copy.  I feel if the market should crater or cool off - the first direct hit will be to the inflated and over-valued Variants and then down from there to the 1980s keys.  How much money you have to invest and if you are a flipper and or a private collector, who will hold to your books for a long time - is important to know on your end.  Personally I prefer books pre 1974 - there are less of them in high grades and I find them more desirable but perhaps I am showing my age.

Regarding “Buy the book - not the grade” I find that applies more to older comics (at least for me) and not the very common books, which are pressed the hell out of daily.  Finally learn to be an objective grader and also unfortunately you might learn from experience, which collectors over-grade and which collectors you can trust on their raws.  Happy hunting... my 2 cents :preach:

Edited by Roger66

34 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

Everyone has different opinions on collecting comics or at least there are a lot of sharp differences for example I hate signature series (it defaces a comic and makes me sad esp when I see a horrid signature on an AF15- but I have exceptions on this rule).  Decide what your collecting needs are and stay true to them and evolve over time but with purpose and passion.  Personally when I look at books from the 1980s, which have huge populations in the top tiers in 9.8 and 9.6 - I won’t pay top dollar for any copy.  I feel if the market should crater or cool off - the first direct hit will be to the inflated and over-valued Variants and then down from there to the 1980s keys.  How much money you have to invest and if you are a flipper and or a private collector, who will hold to your books for a long time - is important to know on your end.  Personally I prefer books pre 1974 - there are less of them in high grades and I find them more desirable but perhaps I am showing my age.

Regarding “Buy the book - not the grade” I find that applies more to older comics (at least for me) and not the very common books, which are pressed the hell out of daily.  Finally learn to be an objective grader and also unfortunately you might learn from experience, which collectors over-grade and which collectors you can trust on their raws.  Happy hunting... my 2 cents :preach:

Thank you sir. Older books really don't do it for me...thats more my older brothers gen. I started going to the comic book store with him when I hit 13 in 1990. I know most of the old tmers have no use for 90s Marvel books but for me it's the artwork I fell in love with. So I mostly collect Mcfarlane, Jim Lee, Liefeld, Portacio and all the other guys that formed Image.

I don't think they will ever be truly valuable, ASM 300 aside but they are awesome books to me.