• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 - advice please...
2 2

47 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2021 at 11:23 AM, Lightning55 said:

Without even seeing the 5.5's, chances are your best bet will be to CPR those (crack, press, resubmit).  For the cost vs. the possible upside, the math will tell you to take the chance.

I'm sticking with my original opinion above.  At the 5.5 level, you don't have any downside.  Roll the dice again, get them cleaned and pressed, maybe a less picky grader gets 'em.  Victory!!

51 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

I'm sticking with my original opinion above.  At the 5.5 level, you don't have any downside.  Roll the dice again, get them cleaned and pressed, maybe a less picky grader gets 'em.  Victory!!

Would you crack the cases yourself or let CGC do it?

12 minutes ago, lostboys said:

Would you crack the cases yourself or let CGC do it?

There is no advantage to you doing it yourself.  Send them in as is, and CGC will crack, press, and grade.  And they will be better protected on the way to CGC, being in cases.  I don't believe there is any charge for CGC to remove them, especially since it's a press and regrade, not a reholder. 

I would just list them on the submission form as if they were raw, not already encapsulated, and avoid the whole re-submission aspect, if that's even a thing.  When CGC gets them and sees that they are not raw, they will open them. 

When you do the submission, a disclaimer has been appearing about CGC opening stuff for you, that it's not their responsibility if there is damage during the opening.  That is a new warning recently added.  But I would rather take my chances with someone who opens these professionally than do it myself. 

It's not hard to do, I've opened them, but you have to be super careful.  And there is a certain amount of force involved.  I think they use the same machine that seals it to open it by softening the welds.  Much smoother.

I think the newsstand 5.5 looks the worse of the 2. The damage on the back cover towards the edge is your main problem. The direct edition looks like it might get a bump from a press but nothing significant

11 hours ago, B2D327 said:

I think the newsstand 5.5 looks the worse of the 2. The damage on the back cover towards the edge is your main problem. The direct edition looks like it might get a bump from a press but nothing significant

Maybe I'll just keep them as is for 10 years or so and revisit the whole situation. I don't plan on selling them so it makes sense.

Thank you for looking at them.

On 1/15/2021 at 5:03 PM, lostboys said:

The other 5.5 is a newsstand

20210115_181832.jpg

20210115_181909.jpg

20210115_183129_HDR.jpg

the 5.5 news stand has a bad crunch crease on the back cover, it also has some staple issues on the bottom staple from the front. I don't think a press will help because the back is all color breaking.

21 hours ago, lostboys said:

Thanks, man.

The fronts look really nice in the cases but the back covers have the damage.

I can't find the moderate cover stain that CGC listed in the graders notes though.

There are some spots on the back cover.

i figured it would be small staining.

On 1/15/2021 at 5:01 PM, lostboys said:

There's one

20210115_183454.jpg

20210115_183533_HDR.jpg

20210115_183827_HDR.jpg

the color loss on the back cover wont be fixed but I see quite a few dents/ indentations on the front and back cover that would press out. Can't do anything about the front cover bottom corner crease because it is color breaking but I could see this book improving. Is this the book with the staining?

22 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

the color loss on the back cover wont be fixed but I see quite a few dents/ indentations on the front and back cover that would press out. Can't do anything about the front cover bottom corner crease because it is color breaking but I could see this book improving. Is this the book with the staining?

One of the 5.5s has the stains.

This one the notes say light creasing, light scuffing & spine stress lines

Not everyone is an objective grader and I believe most collectors simply put are below average graders especially when it comes to their own books.  Grading I find is often about personal experience with comics, critical honesty and intuitive skills.  Without seeing your books I would bet CGC got it 100% right.  Someone said it before me but you should 'temper your expectations' and perhaps continue to engage in selective discussions that lead to your becoming a better grader.  Also don't fall into the trap of looking at books already graded without seeing the notes and wonder why this book got a 9.0 and not a 9.4 for example.  No one is perfect but I find CGC the best game in town - head & shoulders above the rest - and I continue to maintain 100% faith in them.  Finally be patient and don't lose sleep over this.   My 2 cents. :preach:

CGC makes mistakes in grading.  I know - I've owned some of them.

Not many errors, but enough to say that you should scrutinize every comic you receive back.  It still boils down to the human factor, people in a hurry to push product through, make quotas.  You can only spend X amount of time on each.

Before you ship your submission, write down your expected grade, take photos of the comic.  Compare it to the CGC result.  Look for what you missed - or they missed.  At the very least, it's a way to calibrate your grading with theirs.  After a while, if things go as usual, your idea of 9.0, 9.4, 9.8 will be similar to CGC's idea, or any particular grade range.

As I said before, most comics will be close, plus or minus a bit, as no 2 opinions will constantly align.  But there are exceptions in both directions.  Most outliers will be that the grade is much lower than you expected, but it could be legit.  You may never know exactly why.

On the flip side, I have had comics grade 9.8 (or 9.6) with small tears (not bindery), multiple color-breaking spine ticks, rounded corners, etc. etc.  Don't know how or why, but that's what I got, shaking my head in disbelief. 

Seems like a great thing, until you try to sell them to someone who is not totally blind.  All you can say is "Hey, I didn't grade it.  CGC did."

And there are countless examples where people send in comics for 9.8 prescreen that are rejected, and after several retries are eventually accepted.  Good day / bad day thing.

Edited by Lightning55

On 1/17/2021 at 6:30 PM, Artboy99 said:

thanks for clarifying. In my opinion neither 5.5 improves enough to resub.

Thanks for looking!

I'm not gonna send em back in...not anytime soon anyway.

Just out of curiosity...if I were to resub em in a few years, would it be better to crack em myself?

On 1/17/2021 at 9:49 PM, Roger66 said:

Not everyone is an objective grader and I believe most collectors simply put are below average graders especially when it comes to their own books.  Grading I find is often about personal experience with comics, critical honesty and intuitive skills.  Without seeing your books I would bet CGC got it 100% right.  Someone said it before me but you should 'temper your expectations' and perhaps continue to engage in selective discussions that lead to your becoming a better grader.  Also don't fall into the trap of looking at books already graded without seeing the notes and wonder why this book got a 9.0 and not a 9.4 for example.  No one is perfect but I find CGC the best game in town - head & shoulders above the rest - and I continue to maintain 100% faith in them.  Finally be patient and don't lose sleep over this.   My 2 cents. :preach:

I have faith in them...i got some pleasant surprises back too. I just need to learn how to grade a bit better.  I'll be reading all the old threads.

I also wanna make sure I give some love to CGC because i've gotten back 14 books so far and every case has been clean...no scratches or anything weird inside the cases. They all look great.

On 1/17/2021 at 10:50 PM, Lightning55 said:

CGC makes mistakes in grading.  I know - I've owned some of them.

Not many errors, but enough to say that you should scrutinize every comic you receive back.  It still boils down to the human factor, people in a hurry to push product through, make quotas.  You can only spend X amount of time on each.

Before you ship your submission, write down your expected grade, take photos of the comic.  Compare it to the CGC result.  Look for what you missed - or they missed.  At the very least, it's a way to calibrate your grading with theirs.  After a while, if things go as usual, your idea of 9.0, 9.4, 9.8 will be similar to CGC's idea, or any particular grade range.

As I said before, most comics will be close, plus or minus a bit, as no 2 opinions will constantly align.  But there are exceptions in both directions.  Most outliers will be that the grade is much lower than you expected, but it could be legit.  You may never know exactly why.

On the flip side, I have had comics grade 9.8 (or 9.6) with small tears (not bindery), multiple color-breaking spine ticks, rounded corners, etc. etc.  Don't know how or why, but that's what I got, shaking my head in disbelief. 

Seems like a great thing, until you try to sell them to someone who is not totally blind.  All you can say is "Hey, I didn't grade it.  CGC did."

And there are countless examples where people send in comics for 9.8 prescreen that are rejected, and after several retries are eventually accepted.  Good day / bad day thing.

I know what you mean. When I buy graded books I usually go for the 9.6s because I can't afford the 9.8s. Some 9.6s look way worse than others.

Buy the book, not the grade, right?

I learned that here.