• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THREAD CLOSED $1000 or free- New Mutants 100, X-Force 2, X-Factor 63

8 posts in this topic

Back in my high school days, I worked at a Borders, and did early AM stocking. The stock team used to open up sealed magazines, books, CD's, vinyl - and listen/read them in store, or even burn DVD's at home then return the stock back in the next day - we had several machines dedicated to repackage/reseal the items to back to good as new.

I had friends do this with the Superman 75 (they wanted the armbands and then sealed it back up).

If someone can use these for an educational purpose, have at it, but I wouldn't mind one for nostalgia sake.

On 1/12/2021 at 12:59 PM, SOTIcollector said:

Three books:  New Mutants 100, X-Force 2, X-Factor 63.  $1,000 each shipped in the US, but I don't expect anybody to pay that.  I plan to give these away if I can find a worthy next owner, who must be a boardie in extremely good standing.

Here's the story.  Back in the 90's, I had a store and went to a lot of conventions.  There seemed to be a never-ending stream of newbies to the hobby, asking questions about comics based only on their worth as collectibles, rather than as entertainment.  I enjoyed playing educator as much as I enjoyed selling the books.  I made up some "fake" items for demonstration purposes.  I saw people dropping what I considered to be crazy money on autographed books, and these people were absolutely certain the autographs were authentic because they were accompanied by a certificate of authenticity.  For educational purposes, I created a "signed" copy of Classics Illustrated Tom Sawyer.  It was "signed" by Samuel Clemens, and had a certificate of authenticity.  If you read the print carefully, the certificate looked like a COA but actually said the autograph was NOT authentic.  But my goal was to show how easy it is to print up a COA, and to warn buyers that a COA alone does virtually nothing to actually verify a signature's authenticity.  

When there was a lot of discussion of bagged books (should I keep my McFarlane Spidey #1 bagged or take it out?  How about Superman #75?  How about X-Force #1?), I decided to demonstrate how a bagged book can also be faked.  So I sliced open some X-Force #1's, and I used the bags to seal up the books below.  I created these monstrosities:  X-Force #2, New Mutants #100 and X-Force #63, all bagged in the X-Force #1 bag and sealed.  

C8F696F5-00E2-4F7B-A734-6EAAD51F6E22.jpeg

I no longer have a use for these.  I could just un-bag them and sell them, but they don't sell for all that much.  I don't want them to get into the hands of some slimy seller who would claim that they are rare variants.  Is there anybody here on the boards who collects oddies/fakes, maybe even using them to educate the public, who can also be trusted to never let these fall into enemy (scammer) hands?  If that's you, or somebody you know, just speak up in this thread.  

I posted a price because, well, that's the sales forum rule.  But in reality, I'll mail one or more of these for free at my expense to a collector in the US who is deemed worthy by myself and other boardies in good standing.  If several people are interested and qualified, I may send each of these to a different home.

I don't know if I'm a worthy boardie, but I find these bagged books hilarious and would love to have this in my collection.  I can guarantee x force 2 was nevera bagged book as I bought my original copy off the rack.