• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You should always insure your parcels because....

14 posts in this topic

We live in what real estate agents (realtors) call an 'up and coming' area.

Steadily being gentrified.

So when a new courier guy arrived to pick-up a $1500 parcel (Batman #121)  I asked where our regular guy of 4 years was.

Poor guy got attacked whilst delivering parcels, assaulted and had his van stolen - still full of parcels.

We have known him for ages, really nice pleasant little guy - always helpful, always smiling.

He wasn't badly hurt thankfully - but a timely reminder to insure EVERY parcel as you don't know what may happen.

Quite shocked tbh as we thought those sort of things had stopped in this neighbourhood years ago.

Just wow.:whatthe:

Edited by Beige

I drop every package off myself at the post office and wait for them to scan it.  That way the post office is forced to see that the chain of custody included them at the last point before it was either lost or delivered. 

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I drop every package off myself at the post office and wait for them to scan it.  That way the post office is forced to see that the chain of custody included them at the last point before it was either lost or delivered. 

Until shipping and handling returns to normal with the USPS, mailing packages any other way is almost asking for trouble.

Bear in mind, with USPS they only pay off on what you personally have invested in the package, not what it sold for,  and that you have to be able to back that up with receipts. Just buying insurance isn't the end of it. They are masters at getting out of paying. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

2 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Bear in mind, with USPS they only pay off on what you personally have invested in the package, not what it sold for,  and that you have to be able to back that up with receipts. Just buying insurance isn't the end of it. They are masters at getting out of paying. GOD BLESS...

Most insurance companies are masters of low balling. Sir, the book retailed for 25 cents on the cover, see, it shows it in the picture :rulez:

12 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I believe this may be the case. Canada Post will let you buy up to about $1000 insurance. Fedex limits are higher. I learnt a few things about USPS during this experience.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:32 PM, Buzzetta said:

That's what they said. 

On 1/12/2021 at 7:32 PM, Buzzetta said:

Especially high value stuff I take to the post office in person. But by being both very nice and very insistent, I train my postal carriers (there are two, the regular and her sub) to scan packages in when handed to them. And it's what they are supposed to do. Some carriers will skip this if given a chance - they figure it will get scanned when unloaded.  But I ask and stand there until they do scan it. After a few times you don't have to ask anymore.   Walk back in the house and check tracking and you will see "USPS in possession of item" 

On 1/12/2021 at 7:52 PM, jimjum12 said:

This (pay off what you have invested) is what USPS claims will  want to do but you can fight it.  I have comic books I paid twelve cents for that are worth thousands. And I don't have a receipt.  But I'm personally aware of one person and registered mail and they (USPS) was not easy to deal with as far as the insurance went.  They wanted to know what he paid for the books. 

I thought I was going to end up with some claims filed with the USPS gridlock in December, but the last package - mailed to CGC on Dec 7, 2020  - was delivered two days ago on Jan 11, 2021.  I've always wondered if my private shipping insurance through my dealers Collectables Insurance Services policy would be easy or hard as far as settling claims. I'm relieved to say I still do not actually know. 

Edited by Tony S

Can we get some clarity on this issue please? I assume USPS will try to beat you out of your full claim (what you’ve sold your item for), but I would bet if persistent you should ultimately force them to pay up what you insured the package for if that amount is equal to or less than the sales price. The question is how do you object and get the full amount you are due. 
This is obviously an issue important to most boardies. 

Edited by whomerjay

On 1/15/2021 at 4:16 PM, eccomic said:

I no longer use USPS... I go Fed Ex ground or Overnight Priority or Two Day economy.

USPS is broken.....:o

Yes. But the problem with FedEx and UPS is they don't like collectibles. Both restrict their liability when an item's value is based on collectability.  And while it seems a nuance, one needs to understand that FedEx and UPS sells you declared value insurance. You can pay for a $1000 declared value .  But if you declare a value of $1000 and UPS and FedEx specifically disallow covering collectibles, you may be out of luck if a claim occurs with comic books you shipped.  They are going to want to know what you paid for the items. Not what they sold for, not what a price guide or similar sales says. 

As soon as the USPS is back on it's feet - and it appears they are now - registered mail remains the gold standard.  Private shipping insurance on a package that requires a signature from any of the three carriers is next best.