• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Bronze Age Covers That Haven't Hit Batman 251 or 227 Status, But Deserve Some More Recognition (And Are Not Keys or Semis For Reasons Other Than Their Cover)
1 1

150 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

This one flies under the radar but I love it. Been searching for a true high grade copy for some time

ST13.jpg

I very much appreciate the effort to be different. The negative space, etc. Unfortunately, I suspect this stuff was lost on the average 10 year old reader. (And the insides of these books usually did not come close to being as interesting as the covers ... whereas some of the DC horror was pretty good on the inside too).

8 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

Bought this book purely for the cover.

Picture301.jpg

...and unlike the one I posted, I think this one actually does fetch a premium even though its a reprint just because of the cover.  And it seems to be kind of hard to find in high-grade. 

A very classic 70’s Hulk image. I know it was on a panel of the Marvel Super Heroes lunch pail my brother had and I think it was featured prominently on the Hulk lunch pail, as well as other merchandise...though the Hulk part always seems to get re-drawn. 

2 hours ago, the blob said:

I very much appreciate the effort to be different. The negative space, etc. Unfortunately, I suspect this stuff was lost on the average 10 year old reader. (And the insides of these books usually did not come close to being as interesting as the covers ... whereas some of the DC horror was pretty good on the inside too).

There is a big difference between early 70s DC horror and later 70s DC horror. If you're talking early 70s DC horror I agree completely but by the time of 35 cent cover prices, the gap between Charlton and DC was not nearly as wide as many would think. 

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

There is a big difference between early 70s DC horror and later 70s DC horror. If you're talking early 70s DC horror I agree completely but by the time of 35 cent cover prices, the gap between Charlton and DC was not nearly as wide as many would think. 

the late 70s DC horror didn't even have good covers except for a couple of adams covers on some giant size House of books, and those weren't really late ...I guess some of the kaluta covers are interesting, but the other titles, mehhhh

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

...and unlike the one I posted, I think this one actually does fetch a premium even though its a reprint just because of the cover.  And it seems to be kind of hard to find in high-grade. 

A very classic 70’s Hulk image. I know it was on a panel of the Marvel Super Heroes lunch pail my brother had and I think it was featured prominently on the Hulk lunch pail, as well as other merchandise...though the Hulk part always seems to get re-drawn. 

I guess it is a premium over other reprint issues around there, but not much. Starlin cover definitely helps. People forget these books have new covers sometimes.