• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADING INCONSISTENCY??!!
1 1

50 posts in this topic

Grader’s Notes aren’t a detailed accounting of every flaw or blemish.  Some books don’t have Grader’s Notes at all.  I think you’re ahead of the game in the sense that CGC listed flaws they absolutely downgraded for, so it’s not a complete mystery.  If you disagree with the grade(s) given, that’s another thing entirely.  Post some images and get opinions and feedback.

Welcome to the boards & hope you enjoy your time here.

Over time, I have seen some grades that are completely baffling.  Sorry that, for you, it might be right out of the gate that it is occurring.  At least I had a period of "normalcy" before some random craziness.  Now wincing each time grades are released, even if there is no disaster.  Sort of a "conditioned" reflex.

The notes are supposedly left from grader to grader, just to point out things that were observed.  It may not even be the most important thing, like subscription crease not noted, especially if it was so obvious no one would miss it.  No need to note it.  Might be a list of the more subtle things that COULD get overlooked.

There is no requirement to supply grader notes.  CGC is technically paid to give the comic a grade.  That being completed, there is no obligation to provide a tour of the book, or an appraisal, or comprehensive assessment.  For stuff like that, the fees would soar.

7 hours ago, JOENAVY said:

Screenshot_20210113-003446_Chrome.thumb.jpg.75d481eb6c490734bc856ece0e57a3ed.jpgScreenshot_20210113-003451_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ca674e2cde8000889bf8ccdd6938fa33.jpgHow did I just get a 7.5 for the Namor #1 with so minor grading note issues and then an 8.5 for Black Knight #1 with way more issues and serious ones?! Should I or better yet can I complain? 

Charge yer phone

@BlowUpTheMoon

Edited by Jeffro.

Graders notes don't always tell the tale of the defect. You could have 2 books that say "tear at top of spine".  One book has an 1/8 inch tear. The other has a 2 inch tear. The deduction will be different for both books even though they have the exact same wording in the notes.

11 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

The notes are supposedly left from grader to grader, just to point out things that were observed.  It may not even be the most important thing, like subscription crease not noted, especially if it was so obvious no one would miss it.  No need to note it.  Might be a list of the more subtle things that COULD get overlooked.

I've noticed this as well over the years...some graders leave very extensive notes while others just document the major flaws.

Lol thanks for the insight..and the phone needing a charge. So, I did pay to get them pressed also. Shouldn't that take out any light creases? I didnt see any, so had to be light. I mean here is a pic of the book before i sent it. For a 68' looked damn good. I don't have a pic of the back, but was just as good. I think they swapped the grades and notes. They are both 68' books and submitted together and graded together. The Black Knight was a 7.5 cgc graded that was cracked to get signed, which is weird. I was expecting an 8.5 or 9.0 for Namor. Thanks again for helping this dead phone havin' retired vet out guys!

Screenshot_20210113-124647_Mercari.jpg

Yes, yes it is sorry, just got done thanking god I even got a 7.5. Damn, didnt know about that guy. It was just the Namor #1 thank god. He had it up for 1,000dlrs, i got it for $500. If I paid the 1k ooooh lawd it would be bad.

2 hours ago, JOENAVY said:

Yes, yes it is sorry, just got done thanking god I even got a 7.5. Damn, didnt know about that guy. It was just the Namor #1 thank god. He had it up for 1,000dlrs, i got it for $500. If I paid the 1k ooooh lawd it would be bad.

Consider yourself very lucky to be clear of him. He nearly cost me tens of thousands once

Your best bet is to resubmit if you don't like the grade, they have hundreds of graders and a +/- full grade is not uncommon.  Nobody can grade or even ball park anything from that kind of scan and angle, so don't ask our opinion without a close up front and back.  FYI, it is impossible to complain to CGC about grading issues.  I had several strong issues in my opinion and their textbook response is essentially... we are CGC with our own internal grading standards, go pound sand.  lol   Resubmitting a green label with missing centerfold and asking specifically for another green label qualified grade, they instead give me a blue label .5 even though I said keep it green label only and they would not fix the problem.  "Its our call" which label to use; but is consistency in using same labels/grading on the same exact book too much to ask?   

The last time they actually did anything for me was on my restored All Star 8 where they left it loose in the slab and shoved the gutter inside the pages (and partly into the cover) causing damage, tears and folds in the book.  FYI, the gutter should be on the back of the comic to hold it in place.  You would think they would be a little more careful slabbing a 5 figure book, plus I am Not sure how this made it out of quality control when I could see this damage and mistake from 10 feet away, but at least they had CCS fix their damage and re-slabbed it for me.  Thank got it was not unrestored with that happening, or it could have lost 10-20K in value from that.  :ohnoez:   Short of something like that, don't expect much. (shrug)

all star 8 side.jpg

49 minutes ago, TC33 said:

Your best bet is to resubmit if you don't like the grade, they have hundreds of graders and a +/- full grade is not uncommon.  Nobody can grade or even ball park anything from that kind of scan and angle, so don't ask our opinion without a close up front and back.  FYI, it is impossible to complain to CGC about grading issues.  I had several strong issues in my opinion and their textbook response is essentially... we are CGC with our own internal grading standards, go pound sand.  lol   Resubmitting a green label with missing centerfold and asking specifically for another green label qualified grade, they instead give me a blue label .5 even though I said keep it green label only and they would not fix the problem.  "Its our call" which label to use; but is consistency in using same labels/grading on the same exact book too much to ask?   

The last time they actually did anything for me was on my restored All Star 8 where they left it loose in the slab and shoved the gutter inside the pages (and partly into the cover) causing damage, tears and folds in the book.  FYI, the gutter should be on the back of the comic to hold it in place.  You would think they would be a little more careful slabbing a 5 figure book, plus I am Not sure how this made it out of quality control when I could see this damage and mistake from 10 feet away, but at least they had CCS fix their damage and re-slabbed it for me.  Thank got it was not unrestored with that happening, or it could have lost 10-20K in value from that.  :ohnoez:   Short of something like that, don't expect much. (shrug)

all star 8 side.jpg

:facepalm: