• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Copper Age Covers That Haven't Hit _________ Status, But Deserve Some More Recognition (And Are Not Keys or Semis For Reasons Other Than Their Cover)
3 3

168 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

No love for copper? 

I'm here, I finally broke down and bought Next Men #21 but not too many thread findings on my radar to post up.

Still, I haven't bought too many for this thread either that I can vouch should be crazy status lol :flipbait:

10 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

This is the second part of a 2-part story (as typical of the period) but I’m sure most people are interested in this issue alone for it’s cover. Certainly much more atmospheric than the cover to the first part and kind of a nice throwback to the early Bronze Bat books. 

37AAA5D0-D284-4E56-A5B9-863871D17ACF.jpeg.d2ff9a135bd62ccda8eee6b15fc6e31d.jpeg

Good grief, I’m glad I didn’t see that on the rack as a kid, would’ve given me nightmares 

14 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

This is the second part of a 2-part story (as typical of the period) but I’m sure most people are interested in this issue alone for it’s cover. Certainly much more atmospheric than the cover to the first part and kind of a nice throwback to the early Bronze Bat books. 

37AAA5D0-D284-4E56-A5B9-863871D17ACF.jpeg.d2ff9a135bd62ccda8eee6b15fc6e31d.jpeg

I am perplexed by why that one does not garner more interest $-wise as it is the standout Batman cover for that little period. I look it up every couple of years to see if the market has finally appreciated it and then I see a bunch of $3 sales. If the shrunken head had a nice rack or something then maybe the market would care.

35 minutes ago, the blob said:

I am perplexed by why that one does not garner more interest $-wise as it is the standout Batman cover for that little period. I look it up every couple of years to see if the market has finally appreciated it and then I see a bunch of $3 sales. If the shrunken head had a nice rack or something then maybe the market would care.

I don’t know but if I had to venture a guess it might be due to the fact that this one of the issues that got reprinted in those multi-packs around the time of the first movie, perhaps creating a perception that there’s a glut of them out there. 

59 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I don’t know but if I had to venture a guess it might be due to the fact that this one of the issues that got reprinted in those multi-packs around the time of the first movie, perhaps creating a perception that there’s a glut of them out there. 

Never a shortage of them, true. There's a first print newsstand and direct. And then I see a 2d print listed. And then I see a different one from the multipacks listed as a second print that has a different UPC box and a different back cover. And then I see something listed as a Mervyn's 4th print, that looks identical on the outside to the regular 2d print. Was there a second print newsstand? Any other prints of this issue? I apologize if this was the topic of a thread already. Clearly it was popular when it came out with all these extra prints! So I went to Mile High because they are good about listing all the prints and they have the direct edition 1st print at $48 in NM and 2d print at $45 in VF! hah!!! higher than a slabbed 9.6 goes for.

Edited by the blob

18 hours ago, the blob said:

This book has bounced around. It was worth something in the early 90s, and I have been able to sell it for a little bit of a premium over the years in nice shape ($7-$10), but I see a bunch of low price sales recently, so I guess folks don't care anymore. I love this cover and buy it when I see it. I may have 10 copies.

s-l1600.jpg

That's one of my favorites as well