Classic Copper Age Covers That Haven't Hit _________ Status, But Deserve Some More Recognition (And Are Not Keys or Semis For Reasons Other Than Their Cover)
2 2

127 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Schmakt said:

I loved those Sam Kieth covers too...

Loved this little series, and I think this is the best cover. 

 

3-NM.jpg

This was a great series, though IIRC the DC issues were reprints of an earlier indie title.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brock said:

This was a great series, though IIRC the DC issues were reprints of an earlier indie title.

Hmmm... I know there was a sequel from Slave Labor, but I thought these were original? (The SL books were still good, but I really liked the DC books much better!) ((Or DC reprints?))

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not the best example, but still dope... Motter's Mister X is always so visually stimulating... (also maybe this is a semi-key)

1-NM.jpg

Edited by Schmakt
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Well, most of the run of Marvel Fanfare have probably seen the dollar bin at some point, so I'm not surprised if there are very few high-grade copies of these available. These are also 4 of the last 5 issues, so I imagine that the print run was pretty low (for the era) on these. Low enough for the title to be cancelled.

MyComicShop notes this for issue 56-

Statement of ownership: average print run 52,038; average paid circulation 51,338
 

Those are cool covers I’ve never noticed before.  I think I’m going to keep an eye out for them now.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2021 at 12:04 PM, the blob said:

This book has bounced around. It was worth something in the early 90s, and I have been able to sell it for a little bit of a premium over the years in nice shape ($7-$10), but I see a bunch of low price sales recently, so I guess folks don't care anymore. I love this cover and buy it when I see it. I may have 10 copies.

s-l1600.jpg

This coupled with 287 in NM condition usually fetches $50.

05AF8CCE-4DAF-411F-A8E5-04F0963EE510.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 12:11 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Really surprised these Marvel Fanfare covers haven't taken off yet.

image.png.11edb0c0a8d960b1c7c12cef0384a66d.pngimage.png.31f2c4849260c53c82e27b13a5a8cff3.pngimage.png.3eb0639e9aaa67dc61f9ba8daf8975c8.pngimage.png.e54308c0704b24d4c55de05e0ef0097b.png

Impossible to find in HG. Census numbers are in the single digits total for all 9.8 and 9.6 copies, at least for 2 of the 4 covers the last time I looked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluehorseshoe said:

Impossible to find in HG. Census numbers are in the single digits total for all 9.8 and 9.6 copies, at least for 2 of the 4 covers the last time I looked.

because people haven't bothered sending them in because there isn't a clear market for them in an expensive slab?

this 9.6 #60 is just sitting there for under $50: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Fanfare-60-1991-Beautiful-Black-Panther-Cover-CGC-9-6-EB487/353217903143?hash=item523d6d7a27:g:tFgAAOSw~dxfcgSf

this is an earlier (and key issue) and it only went for $33 in 9.8 (yes, i know there have been better sales):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-FANFARE-11-Marvel-Comics-1983-CGC-9-8-Auction-2/373380914725?hash=item56ef3c9e25:g:kLMAAOSwum1fzQ2G

And this killer cover (which should be in this thread) went for only $29 in 9.6:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Fanfare-10-CGC-9-6-NM-White-Pages-1983-Marvel-Comic-Black-Widow-/313296472537?hash=item48f1ecc9d9%3Ag%3ANIoAAOSwildfrI7s&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

(I acknowledge there are a fair amount of the black widow issues out there, perez was very popular at the time and the covers really popped)

Seeing the mediocre results on these books I would be concerned about spending $$$ getting copies of those Sheena books slabbed as it might just be a money pit. I wouldn't want to spend $20 slabbing a book that may only be a $25-50 book after slabbing. I'd rather devote my CGC dollars to books with more upside.

Of course, I get it, if you happen to have one of the few 9.8s of those issues you can put them up for $300 and see if anyone bites. it just doesn't look like there has been any biting.

I find it mind boggling that there Black Widow MFs (and those Zeck CA 286-287) are generally under $100 in 9.8 when there is so much mehhhhhhhh out there in 9.8 going for that much or way more.. seriously, x-force 11 in 9.8 is about $100 and while i understand it is a 1st app, a trillion copies were printed and hoarded.

 

Edited by the blob
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluehorseshoe said:

This coupled with 287 in NM condition usually fetches $50.

05AF8CCE-4DAF-411F-A8E5-04F0963EE510.jpeg

---------------

I wish you were correct, but when? Maybe this black UPC version as i can't find one out there. But I'm looking at completed sales and they're pretty sad. I know these aren't NM, but under $5??: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-286-287-Oct-1983-Marvel-HIGH-GRADE-SET-/254813377037?hash=item3b540f920d%3Ag%3Ak3MAAOSwnrNf04pE&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And slabbed 9.6 are $50-$60 and a 9.8 is $85 or so based on sales.

Believe me, I think the books should be worth more. I have been buying them for years as I think the covers are great. But the fickle market doesn't seem interested. Possibly because marvel's TV version of Deathlok was kind of lame?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, the blob said:

x-force 11 in 9.8 is about $100 and while i understand it is a 1st app….

 

Not a first appearance, unless you mean Weapon: Prime.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Not a first appearance, unless you mean Weapon: Prime.

1st "real" domino in non-flashback, 3rd or 4th appearance of someone who looks like domino, or I don't know anymore. CGC says something on the label. And Weapon: Prime, not that anyone cares a bout them.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, the blob said:

because people haven't bothered sending them in because there isn't a clear market for them in an expensive slab?

this 9.6 #60 is just sitting there for under $50: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Fanfare-60-1991-Beautiful-Black-Panther-Cover-CGC-9-6-EB487/353217903143?hash=item523d6d7a27:g:tFgAAOSw~dxfcgSf

this is an earlier (and key issue) and it only went for $33 in 9.8 (yes, i know there have been better sales):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-FANFARE-11-Marvel-Comics-1983-CGC-9-8-Auction-2/373380914725?hash=item56ef3c9e25:g:kLMAAOSwum1fzQ2G

And this killer cover (which should be in this thread) went for only $29 in 9.6:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Fanfare-10-CGC-9-6-NM-White-Pages-1983-Marvel-Comic-Black-Widow-/313296472537?hash=item48f1ecc9d9%3Ag%3ANIoAAOSwildfrI7s&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

(I acknowledge there are a fair amount of the black widow issues out there, perez was very popular at the time and the covers really popped)

Seeing the mediocre results on these books I would be concerned about spending $$$ getting copies of those Sheena books slabbed as it might just be a money pit. I wouldn't want to spend $20 slabbing a book that may only be a $25-50 book after slabbing. I'd rather devote my CGC dollars to books with more upside.

Of course, I get it, if you happen to have one of the few 9.8s of those issues you can put them up for $300 and see if anyone bites. it just doesn't look like there has been any biting.

I find it mind boggling that there Black Widow MFs (and those Zeck CA 286-287) are generally under $100 in 9.8 when there is so much mehhhhhhhh out there in 9.8 going for that much or way more.. seriously, x-force 11 in 9.8 is about $100 and while i understand it is a 1st app, a trillion copies were printed and hoarded.

 

Umm, do you understand my comment, which was quoting a specific comment regarding MF 56, 57, 58, and 59, and not about...whatever it is you are trying to talk about?

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, bluehorseshoe said:

Umm, do you understand my comment, which was quoting a specific comment regarding MF 56, 57, 58, and 59, and not about...whatever it is you are trying to talk about?

Yeah, I read your comment. But the idea that census numbers for a low value book somehow prove they are impossible to find in high grade is just naive. They might, or they may more likely show a lack of submissions. People are likely not submitting good candidates because there doesn't look like much financial upside. I couldn't find any CGC sales of those issues (or listings), so i have no data to work with, but generally speaking the fanfares don't seem to do all that well in slabs, even the issues that are relevant to an upcoming movie. And issue #60 just sitting there at under $60 with a black panther cover, albeit in cgc 9.6,  and probably just as low a print run as 58 or 59, kind of makes me wonder if 56-59 would do just poorly. So why would people be slabbing their nice copies? Fact is, we're talking about an early 90s Marvel that, I believe, was direct only. The experts here would know, but even on the brink of cancellation I still think we were talking about 50K+ print runs then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

But who knows, maybe those lovely painted covers got subjected to a lot of "rough handling" by fanboys in the bathroom. I just don't like the idea of the census supposedly being a proxy for all that much. Nor do I buy into the notion that just because something was not particularly collectible, that all the copies must have been destroyed in bargain boxes. Fact is, 98% of comics were future 25 cent - $1 box comics back then and there are plenty of high grade copies. Anyway, I now want to own these books...

 

 

Edited by the blob
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2