• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wrightson sig?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Curious on thoughts about this signature inside my Swamp Thing #1.  It somewhat matches Bernies signature I've seen on certain items (included an example from a Captain Stern print).  I've had the book since the early '90's and I didn't get it signed.  It is honestly a beautiful copy, a 9.6 and possibly even a 9.8 but I'm concerned how CGC might treat the unconfirmed signature.

IMG_1958.PNG

IMG_1959.PNG

I believe it is authentic.  Also as a ball point on the splash page, it will have little to no effect on the grade.  If it is a 9.6 it should stay a 9.6. If it is a 9.8 it could possibly take down to 9.6, but I will tell you I have had SEVERAL 9.8s with unauthenticated sigs on the splash, including one that was an owner sig, and not even a creator sig. Page color looks great.

14 hours ago, seanfingh said:

I believe it is authentic.  Also as a ball point on the splash page, it will have little to no effect on the grade.  If it is a 9.6 it should stay a 9.6. If it is a 9.8 it could possibly take down to 9.6, but I will tell you I have had SEVERAL 9.8s with unauthenticated sigs on the splash, including one that was an owner sig, and not even a creator sig. Page color looks great.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

14 hours ago, Namtak said:

All non witnessed signature will be a qualified label i hope one day they change their policy like cbcs did they would put it in the verified label if authentic hope cgc do one day.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe you can request the blue label, and they will grade the book accordingly.

On 1/17/2021 at 9:26 AM, Namtak said:

All non witnessed signature will be a qualified label i hope one day they change their policy like cbcs did they would put it in the verified label if authentic hope cgc do one day.  

This is incorrect.  See @seanfingh's post above.  If interior signatures are unobtrusive, it's possible that they will have no effect on the grade and will still get a universal label.

I disagree about changing the policy.  Signature experts and even the creators themselves will sometimes get it wrong when asked "is this signature authentic?"  A separate label for signatures authenticated after the fact would hold zero value to me.  The Signature Series label provides a chain of custody from the signing of the book until encapsulation.  Third party authenticators are guessing.  Some guesses are more educated than others, but it's still guessing.  

5 hours ago, Turtle said:

This is incorrect.  See @seanfingh's post above.  If interior signatures are unobtrusive, it's possible that they will have no effect on the grade and will still get a universal label.

I disagree about changing the policy.  Signature experts and even the creators themselves will sometimes get it wrong when asked "is this signature authentic?"  A separate label for signatures authenticated after the fact would hold zero value to me.  The Signature Series label provides a chain of custody from the signing of the book until encapsulation.  Third party authenticators are guessing.  Some guesses are more educated than others, but it's still guessing.  

Does anyone know specifically how cbcs "verifies? What criteria they use? Is it an on staff expert or a book full of signatures they compare to? I have bought a few "verified" signatures but only when there is little doubt who signed it. Or it would be pointless faking the artists sig.

As of 2018, they started working with Beckett (BAS) and everything is looked by their authenticators (Steve Grad, who I have known forever, is the head authenticator and could be seen on Pawn Stars) and they decide whether the signature is good or bad based on years of expertise, exemplars, etc.

Saw a guy on youtube send in a few books to them and 3 of 5 came back as blue label (the signatures rightfully failed) and he was upset.

5 minutes ago, Monstertruck97 said:

As of 2018, they started working with Beckett (BAS) and everything is looked by their authenticators (Steve Grad, who I have known forever, is the head authenticator and could be seen on Pawn Stars) and they decide whether the signature is good or bad based on years of expertise, exemplars, etc.

Saw a guy on youtube send in a few books to them and 3 of 5 came back as blue label (the signatures rightfully failed) and he was upset.

Well, that's great news! I was hoping for that. I have seen Steve on "Pawn Stars".

I bought one of our employees a Beckett authenticated 8x10 picture of Jimmy Stewart and "Harvey" signed by Jimmy Stewart for an end of year bonus. Had it framed and everything. That one almost didn't leave the office.

If cbcs is using Beckett as a verifier, that's good enough for me.

On 1/17/2021 at 9:26 AM, Namtak said:

This is true if the signature is written on the exterior of the cover (or in rare cases, the interior of the cover). If it's on the first page, it will usually stay a blue label with a notation on the label such as "Name written on 1st page in pen."  (thumbsu

11 hours ago, Monstertruck97 said:

Oh man, I feel like I am touting the competitor. I assure you, I am all about CGC and a self-confessed addict of the yellow label and own not a single competitor slab. 

Well if the comic is right for you you can still buy it unslab it and submit it to cgc lol.im all about the hunt of comics !!