• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to Grading -- "Waviness" in new comics an issue?
1 1

2 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I'm new to grading, but have some books I want to send in. I noticed on this Darth Vader #9 I picked up, the cover has some slight waviness. Is this something I should be concerned about? On newly released books do folks generally press them 100%? Appreciate any input!qro2i9bcn7b61.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=fc16b2ee1fd298692fd632383cb370cf6fed02c6

I don't know the value of this book, and sometimes that factors in as to whether you should press or not.  Generally, pressing will optimize your chances of a higher grade, and many times the grade bump makes the pressing fee look insignificant.  But it does depend on the book.

If the waviness is the only thing keeping it from a 9.8, for instance, that loss of value to a lower grade could be substantial.  If it has other defects that already make it an 8.0, maybe pressing doesn't matter much. 

Every case is different.  You have to estimate the grade of the book as is, determine what it could be, and do the math.