• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone gotten old Fossil/Jungle cards graded. If so did Silvering impact the grading?

10 posts in this topic

Posted a thread in "Ask CGC" but didn't really get an answer one way or the other. Has anyone sent in an old card with subgrades? Did silvering affect the grade on edges or surface greatly? PSA tends to ignore it as it's a manufacturing thing found on a lot of cards from those sets. The shearing action opposed to cutting caused a lot of chipping/blowout on the edge of the card. As an example IMG_20210111_163153.thumb.jpg.c191a9dcf36266ff69e700c1d0312518.jpgIMG_20210111_163128.thumb.jpg.92609b90f0aeefd6f2fbc3ef08650898.jpg

I have some other ones that are near pack fresh that I pulled and sleeved 20+ years ago but have silvering on 2-3 sides and I'm hesitant to send them in due to not knowing if they make the distinction between wear and poor manufacturing. If so, how bad did they ding you on the grade?

If anyone has gotten some graded and can give their input it would be wonderful, thanks!

10 hours ago, KRod518 said:

I sent in a couple cards that have slight amounts of silvering.  Still in the process of getting graded though.  I'm curious what scores they will get as well.

Please let me know how it goes!

Edited by Yeahiwasder4dat

5 hours ago, Scrum said:

I had a jungle vaporeon with silvering come back as an 8 with surface scratches on the holo, unfortunately I didnt get subgrades on that particular card so cant say for sure what the edge grade was. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/3744705005/

I wonder if they don't count it, or if it only detracts a little. My base set zard came back 8.5 but it doesn't really have it so I can't tell if would've impacted score. Think there's one tiny sliver of it on one edge. The .5 was from some tiny scratches near wingtip I'm assuming. I should've done subgrades to help myself better judge some other cards :/

10 hours ago, egardina.pp said:

I sent 4-5 in as well. I'll let you know how it goes once I get through grading (Econ; delivered 11/24; received 12/3; currently "Received"). 

How bad were they? My cards would be worth grading if the silvering wasn't so overbearing. Please do let me know though. Really curious how much they knock off.

13 hours ago, Shane H. said:

Hi - It is taken into account and can effect the grade if bad.

I'm sure it's hard for him to give a cut and dry answer answer as to how much as it varies from card to card but this is the updated answer I got. Sounds like it's something they consider but maybe only really ding you if it's over a certain amount.

I've seen graded 10s from BGS and PSA with a little silvering if that was the only issue with the card. Maybe they have a similar process.

@egardina.pp

@KRod518