• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double Cover Treasury...Does One Exist?
1 1

37 posts in this topic

I'm a bit skeptical about it.  Not saying the listing is false, but the covers would be glued at the spine onto the interiors and the outer cover has no attachment - it would just be loose over the cover.  It would be hard to authenticate an actual double cover of a treasury sized book that would not be attached to the book itself.

21 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

I'm a bit skeptical about it.  Not saying the listing is false, but the covers would be glued at the spine onto the interiors and the outer cover has no attachment - it would just be loose over the cover.  It would be hard to authenticate an actual double cover of a treasury sized book that would not be attached to the book itself.

The pictures give cause for concern don't they. The inner cover appears to be in worse condition than then outer one and the absence of a picture which shows how / if the second cover is even attached is telling. 

Pretty sure this book was discussed in the Treasuries thread in Bronze a while back; somebody had actually bought and returned it, not because of doubts on the authenticity but because of damage due to poor packing.

The outer cover was not attached; but given how the binding on the treasuries worked you would expect it to be loose.  You might get one of the DC or Whitman treasuries with a double cover, though, since those were saddle stitched not squarebound.

5 hours ago, shadroch said:

I've never seen one.

But you want one like me...right?

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Hmmm its loose right? I'd need to see some glue evidence along that other spine to feel like its legit.....To me it seems like someone COULD be passing off a cover that fell of one book onto another book

5 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Hmmm its loose right? I'd need to see some glue evidence along that other spine to feel like its legit.....To me it seems like someone COULD be passing off a cover that fell of one book onto another book

That's why I'd have liked to have seen a picture of the inner spine, to see if it was clean or whether it showed evidence of previously having been attached to something.

4 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

The outer cover of a double cover squarebound issue would never have been attached to anything. If there's glue on the inner spine, it's not legit.

Correct. 

9 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Well, does a double cover treasury exist? Or unlikely due to the way they were made? I am just curious....

I bought a fair amount of Treasuries from a Canadian ebay seller a few years back, when I asked him if he had a #15 a Conan issue, he said yes but he wanted to keep it because it has a double cover, I have no reason to think he wasn't telling the truth, so I think they do exist but not in great numbers.

Come to think of it, I am pretty sure Wormboy has a Star Wars one if I remember rightly.

Edited by batmiesta

2 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

I bought a fair amount of Treasuries from a Canadian ebay seller a few years back, when I asked him if he had a #15 a Conan issue, he said yes but he wanted to keep it because it has a double cover, I have no reason to think he wasn't telling the truth, so I think they do exist but not in great numbers.

Come to think of it, I am pretty sure Wormboy has a Star Wars one if I remember rightly.

Stop taking our books. 

10 hours ago, greggy said:

Stop taking our books. 

Yeah come on man Canada is small enough. How would YOOOUUU like it if I went hunting in YOOOOUUUR backyard?

Uh well I do....and sometimes people won't ship to me .....even if I pay a smidge more for their time.....sniff sniff :sorry:

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

Also, I appreciate the insight everyone! It appears that, while likely much more rare than a standard comic double cover, that they do exist. A weird white whale for me to consider, as I do enjoy treasuries.  

Now I'm looking at the pictures on my desktop, and can zoom in, you can see that the inner edge of the outer cover spine appears clean, which supports the likelihood of the double cover being genuine:

mte2.jpg.11bc2edcdcde87b9ebdfb417070d2bb0.jpg

If there was any evidence of glue, tears or damage, then that could indicate that the cover may have been removed from another copy and the book we see here is a construct.

As Lazyboy pointed out (I don't think our combined earlier comments were that clear) a true double cover on a squarebound book should always manifest with the outer cover being detached. Accordingly, it's really hard to imagine how such a book would survive (unlike a double cover saddle stitched book with both covers attached at the staples). 

For it to survive, someone would have had to have taken care of it and retained the two covers. In this instance, I'm concerned by the visible damage to the interior cover in this photo:

mte1.jpg.9e5c964e6c999d8bc3aa152d74813f88.jpg

Logic suggests that any handling wear would hit the outer cover first but it's always hard to judge from photos without having the book in hand.

So I think this particular copy is questionable. Genuine or not though, I think the chances of finding others in this format are exceptionally small. 

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah come on man Canada is small enough. How would YOOOUUU like it if I went hunting in YOOOOUUUR backyard?

Uh well I do....and sometimes people won't ship to me .....even if I pay a smidge more for their time.....sniff sniff :sorry:

Please believe me,It's slim pickings in my backyard, that's why I have to look further afield, I have never understood why sellers wouldn't ship internationally, its no longer a big deal. O.o

I bought this double cover treasury quite awhile back. Avoid the seller at all costs.

It was a legit double cover, not glued on the spine (as it should be).

The book was packed poorly and sustained damage, so I asked for a return.

After some back and forth, he agreed to take it back and I shipped it to him.

When he received it, he filed a claim saying I kept the second cover when I returned the book.

After some threatening, he admitted he lied (he had some excuse - I forget what). The next day the book was re-posted with new images of the book with both covers. 

I bought a collection of double and up covers that consisted of 6 short boxes from the golden age to present (as of 20 or so years ago).  There were 3 treasury's in it with double covers.  Plus the large KISS book and the large King Kong book.  The most covers on a single comic was 13 covers!  Of course it was some worthless book lol.  The collection had around 20 or so square bound comics with double covers.

1 hour ago, Comics-n-ERB said:

I bought a collection of double and up covers that consisted of 6 short boxes from the golden age to present (as of 20 or so years ago).  There were 3 treasury's in it with double covers.  Plus the large KISS book and the large King Kong book.  The most covers on a single comic was 13 covers!  Of course it was some worthless book lol.  The collection had around 20 or so square bound comics with double covers.

Still got em?