• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double Cover Treasury...Does One Exist?
1 1

37 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Now I'm looking at the pictures on my desktop, and can zoom in, you can see that the inner edge of the outer cover spine appears clean, which supports the likelihood of the double cover being genuine:

mte2.jpg.11bc2edcdcde87b9ebdfb417070d2bb0.jpg

If there was any evidence of glue, tears or damage, then that could indicate that the cover may have been removed from another copy and the book we see here is a construct.

As Lazyboy pointed out (I don't think our combined earlier comments were that clear) a true double cover on a squarebound book should always manifest with the outer cover being detached. Accordingly, it's really hard to imagine how such a book would survive (unlike a double cover saddle stitched book with both covers attached at the staples). 

For it to survive, someone would have had to have taken care of it and retained the two covers. In this instance, I'm concerned by the visible damage to the interior cover in this photo:

mte1.jpg.9e5c964e6c999d8bc3aa152d74813f88.jpg

Logic suggests that any handling wear would hit the outer cover first but it's always hard to judge from photos without having the book in hand.

So I think this particular copy is questionable. Genuine or not though, I think the chances of finding others in this format are exceptionally small. 

If it were me who owned the double cover as a kid or young adult, I would have put the detached cover somewhere else and not involved it with the handling of the actual book. It would have been pointless to try to read the book with the double cover present. Probably would have either stored it separately or when I was finished reading added it back with the book and put it away. Maybe that's why the outer cover saw better days than the inner cover.

9 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

If it were me who owned the double cover as a kid or young adult, I would have put the detached cover somewhere else and not involved it with the handling of the actual book. It would have been pointless to try to read the book with the double cover present. Probably would have either stored it separately or when I was finished reading added it back with the book and put it away. Maybe that's why the outer cover saw better days than the inner cover.

Good point. But wouldn't the kid who cared enough to keep the outer cover, and eventually reunite it with its inner cousin, have taken better care of it?

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Good point. But wouldn't the kid who cared enough to keep the outer cover, and eventually reunite it with its inner cousin, have taken better care of it?

I used to marvel at my copy of Bat 3 and Bat 9. 8.5 and 8.0 respectively. How did those two books survive so magnificently?

Back when we were collecting treasuries, we read them. Overstreet had an addendum in the price guide explaining about Famous First Editions. Remove the covers and they are virtually worthless. So, we read them. I am only speculating but it would seem as though a kid could have set the outer cover aside. We took care of our stuff when I was a wee lad. We never knew when we would be gifted anything by our parents. I am just saying it's a possibility. It's something I would have done. In fact, I still do. When I read hard cover books, I remove the dust jacket and set it aside. Then reunite it with the book when I'm done.

54 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I used to marvel at my copy of Bat 3 and Bat 9. 8.5 and 8.0 respectively. How did those two books survive so magnificently?

Back when we were collecting treasuries, we read them. Overstreet had an addendum in the price guide explaining about Famous First Editions. Remove the covers and they are virtually worthless. So, we read them. I am only speculating but it would seem as though a kid could have set the outer cover aside. We took care of our stuff when I was a wee lad. We never knew when we would be gifted anything by our parents. I am just saying it's a possibility. It's something I would have done. In fact, I still do. When I read hard cover books, I remove the dust jacket and set it aside. Then reunite it with the book when I'm done.

I know Randall, I'm just jabbering. I was always very attentive to condition as a kid. Records, books, comics - everything was looked after. I still have 7" singles that I bought at 10 years old and they look like new. Not all my storage solutions were successful though. I wrapped some old fanzines carefully in cling film once - it seemed like a good idea at the time - and years later when I tried to remove it it brought the newsprint with it. But it was the thought that counted - the notion that things needed to be protected.

4 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I know Randall, I'm just jabbering. I was always very attentive to condition as a kid. Records, books, comics - everything was looked after. I still have 7" singles that I bought at 10 years old and they look like new. Not all my storage solutions were successful though. I wrapped some old fanzines carefully in cling film once - it seemed like a good idea at the time - and years later when I tried to remove it it brought the newsprint with it. But it was the thought that counted - the notion that things needed to be protected.

You are so right. We tried. I don't have anything from my childhood except a commemorative John Q Adams coin my grandmother gave me and her pewter drinking cup she had when she was a baby.

My parents were cheap. We didn't get much at all. So, when we did we either valued it or destroyed it because that's all there was. It taught us two things: A) Take care of your stuff. B) When you are middle aged and can afford the comics and collectibles you wanted as a kid, hoard like a magpie. LOL!

On 1/15/2021 at 10:11 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Now I'm looking at the pictures on my desktop, and can zoom in, you can see that the inner edge of the outer cover spine appears clean, which supports the likelihood of the double cover being genuine:

mte2.jpg.11bc2edcdcde87b9ebdfb417070d2bb0.jpg

If there was any evidence of glue, tears or damage, then that could indicate that the cover may have been removed from another copy and the book we see here is a construct.

As Lazyboy pointed out (I don't think our combined earlier comments were that clear) a true double cover on a squarebound book should always manifest with the outer cover being detached. Accordingly, it's really hard to imagine how such a book would survive (unlike a double cover saddle stitched book with both covers attached at the staples). 

For it to survive, someone would have had to have taken care of it and retained the two covers. In this instance, I'm concerned by the visible damage to the interior cover in this photo:

mte1.jpg.9e5c964e6c999d8bc3aa152d74813f88.jpg

Logic suggests that any handling wear would hit the outer cover first but it's always hard to judge from photos without having the book in hand.

So I think this particular copy is questionable. Genuine or not though, I think the chances of finding others in this format are exceptionally small. 

Not necessarily. Any handling from reading is more likely to be on the books attached cover. Example: you pick up the book and place the detached outer cover to the side then read the book. Once done reading you pick up the set aside detached cover put it back on the book and put the whole thing back in the bag. 

I had a double cover Batman 80 page giant and that is what I did. Kept the outer cover that was detached in very good shape because of minimal handling.

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Not necessarily. Any handling from reading is more likely to be on the books attached cover. Example: you pick up the book and place the detached outer cover to the side then read the book. Once done reading you pick up the set aside detached cover put it back on the book and put the whole thing back in the bag. 

I had a double cover Batman 80 page giant and that is what I did. Kept the outer cover that was detached in very good shape because of minimal handling.

It's a fair point Artboy, and just as likely as the one I proposed I suppose. I just think that the kid that takes the care to look after the outer wouldn't let the inner get in that state. He'd be careful with that too. But we'll never know. People do funny things and act in strange ways. It's probably pointless applying logical arguments retrospectively to their behaviours. Good discussion though. 

7 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It's a fair point Artboy, and just as likely as the one I proposed I suppose. I just think that the kid that takes the care to look after the outer wouldn't let the inner get in that state. He'd be careful with that too. But we'll never know. People do funny things and act in strange ways. It's probably pointless applying logical arguments retrospectively to their behaviours. Good discussion though. 

very true! My Batman remained near mint on both covers because I cared for it.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

very true! My Batman remained near mint on both covers because I cared for it.

Yeah. No way little Johnny "I keep my second detached cover separate and in super neat shape" would let his inner copy get all bashed and creased. He'd have it wrapped in cling-film, minimum :bigsmile:

On 1/15/2021 at 8:05 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah come on man Canada is small enough. How would YOOOUUU like it if I went hunting in YOOOOUUUR backyard?

Uh well I do....and sometimes people won't ship to me .....even if I pay a smidge more for their time.....sniff sniff :sorry:

As a patriotic American, I refuse to allow my countries treasures to be sent to a bunch of foreigners. Not to mention it's a real pain to fill out those silly forms. 

MCFM

"Merican comics for "Mericans."

19 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Can’t wait to see the feeding frenzy on these once CGC decides to produce the giant slabs needed to encapsulate them.

The "other" company does this already to a degree. A sturdy plastic sleeve with a sticker sealing the book inside with the grade results printed on it. Break the seal and void the grade. Seems a rather practical approach. Also, you can't treat it like a slab. Actually need to take some care while handing it. I'd show you my Adams cover reprint of the Rha's Al Ghul saga but it would make some people cry. Mine is a 9.2 of the Limited Collectors Edition Vol.6 #C-51 The Reece clan have several on their site for sale.

3 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

The "other" company does this already to a degree. A sturdy plastic sleeve with a sticker sealing the book inside with the grade results printed on it. Break the seal and void the grade. Seems a rather practical approach. Also, you can't treat it like a slab. Actually need to take some care while handing it. I'd show you my Adams cover reprint of the Rha's Al Ghul saga but it would make some people cry. Mine is a 9.2 of the Limited Collectors Edition Vol.6 #C-51 The Reece clan have several on their site for sale.

My absolute fave Treasury book

13 hours ago, Comics-n-ERB said:

No, sold them all.......The one I hate letting go the most was a beautiful copy of Batman 232 double cover.

I know. They were yours for a while though. Nice memory to have.