• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper Age X-Men question

19 posts in this topic

I had stopped reading X-Men around issue 200 so when a friend asked me this question, i had no idea.

He says that when Bishop first appeared, he was warning that one of the current X-Men would betray the team and it would have major repercussions. 

He thought it was going to be either Cable, Gambit, Rogue or the ninja girl.  did this story ever play out, who was the traitor and was it a big deal? 

Thanks.

Edited by shadroch

I want to say it was in the animated series too

I remember the  episode but cant for the life of me remember who was the culprit

@shadroch so I guess I'm no good but you may be able to Google bishop episode etc or something with thoughts to the plot, and get results on the spot :wishluck:

2 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Onslaught junk.  But they tried to come back to it being Bishop when they did that terrible Hope/Cable story not too long ago.

Patrick

So was that it? I remember waiting for the payoff to that storyline for a long time too... I stopped reading for a few years and came back around #350, which is where I think they were still blaming Gambit? Man... that was so long ago... (Going upstairs to see if I still have 350... couldn't Rogue touch people back then?)

Just now, Schmakt said:

So was that it? I remember waiting for the payoff to that storyline for a long time too... I stopped reading for a few years and came back around #350, which is where I think they were still blaming Gambit? Man... that was so long ago... (Going upstairs to see if I still have 350... couldn't Rogue touch people back then?)

There was a character from Bishops feature with the last name was Lebeau.   Which is why he assumed it was Gambit.  But that was n unrelated coincidence or red herring.  

Patrick

4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

It was revealed (in UXM 350 I think?) that Gambit was amongst the Marauders that were responsible for the Mutant Massacre. But I don't remember where that whole storyline went.

I read X-Men haphazardly, and I think the animated tv show blended some of the comic storylines together. 

I know that Bishop in the animated cartoon played the major role in their Days of Future Past story... “for the future!”

Bishop appeared in UXM 282, and from what I remember, he followed Fitzroy into the past and got trapped there and became an X-Man. Then when the Legion storyline unfolded with killing Xavier, that was what he was trying to fix, and the whole Onslaught followed. 

Gambit and UXM 350 is where I stopped reading too. I don’t remember Bishop being a part of that, but this was a retcon to Gambit’s story. 

1 hour ago, D2 said:

I read X-Men haphazardly, and I think the animated tv show blended some of the comic storylines together. 

I know that Bishop in the animated cartoon played the major role in their Days of Future Past story... “for the future!”

Bishop appeared in UXM 282, and from what I remember, he followed Fitzroy into the past and got trapped there and became an X-Man. Then when the Legion storyline unfolded with killing Xavier, that was what he was trying to fix, and the whole Onslaught followed. 

Gambit and UXM 350 is where I stopped reading too. I don’t remember Bishop being a part of that, but this was a retcon to Gambit’s story. 

This is mostly what I remember too lol

It's all a jumble at this point, it's a blur for sure. To say that gambit helped and then helped stop apocalypse I know a bit. Something in the defeat was to undo but that didnt solve the itch till the next episode I'm sure... 

Originally everyone thought it was Gambit but it was revealed in issue 350 that he only worked with the Marauders during the Morlock massacre.  The real traitor Bishop was hunting was actually himself.  If you read the Messiah Wars, it was revealed that Bishop became totally obsessed with hunting down and trying to kill Hope Summers.  When he chased Cable and Hope into the future he inadvertently started slaughtering all Xmen that tried to help them.  That led back to the flashback of Jean Grey making that last video transmission about a traitor amongst them which the present time Bishop was trying to investigate.

2 hours ago, Escaflown41 said:

Originally everyone thought it was Gambit but it was revealed in issue 350 that he only worked with the Marauders during the Morlock massacre.  The real traitor Bishop was hunting was actually himself.  If you read the Messiah Wars, it was revealed that Bishop became totally obsessed with hunting down and trying to kill Hope Summers.  When he chased Cable and Hope into the future he inadvertently started slaughtering all Xmen that tried to help them.  That led back to the flashback of Jean Grey making that last video transmission about a traitor amongst them which the present time Bishop was trying to investigate.

and the truth shall set you free. Thank You, because I had a "bookworm" too about it, and I'm not sure I could have satisfied the itch on my own :foryou: 

On 1/16/2021 at 9:08 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is mostly what I remember too lol

It's all a jumble at this point, it's a blur for sure. To say that gambit helped and then helped stop apocalypse I know a bit. Something in the defeat was to undo but that didnt solve the itch till the next episode I'm sure... 

the problem is the x-men cartoon was just so good! So a lot of the details between the cartoon and the comic blend together. 

it hasn’t aged horribly either. 

16 minutes ago, D2 said:

the problem is the x-men cartoon was just so good! So a lot of the details between the cartoon and the comic blend together. 

it hasn’t aged horribly either. 

Oh I agree! One Christmas I told myself to pick a DVD complete set,

Either

Batman or x-men 

The animated series 

I picked x-men although I'm sure batman holds up too, x-men made me happy! :banana:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

36 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Oh I agree! One Christmas I told myself to pick a DVD complete set,

Either

Batman or x-men 

The animated series 

I picked x-men although I'm sure batman holds up too, x-men made me happy! :banana:

Oh if you get the Batman animated let me know how it holds up. If it’s good I’ll get it. I have Disney plus so I’ve been watching the xmen through that. My wife thinks I’m a child. I think my wife is silly 

13 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

Only had till UXM 350 as well, the flashback of Jean on Cerebro was her telling of a traitor and was then attacked by Onslaught. 

Yeah not gonna lie, I do find it pretty amazing that all of us in some form or another hovered our interests of UXM at issue 350. 

13 hours ago, D2 said:

Yeah not gonna lie, I do find it pretty amazing that all of us in some form or another hovered our interests of UXM at issue 350. 

I enjoyed it until about the 390s (though the Magneto and Magneto-lite storyline was pretty lame). 

I really started disliking it when Austen & Phillips were on the book (400s).  

But, like a fool, I hung on to the end of the main series. 

Patrick 

2 hours ago, followtheleader said:

I enjoyed it until about the 390s (though the Magneto and Magneto-lite storyline was pretty lame). 

I really started disliking it when Austen & Phillips were on the book (400s).  

But, like a fool, I hung on to the end of the main series. 

Patrick 

You did! You kept going through the Chuck Austen run?  I am truly sorry to hear that, but your endurance is admirable.

To be honest, I think the only reason why I dropped UXM was because the other series' I was following were also turning into hot garbage, and I just bailed altogether. X-Men hit issue 70 with this whole new team of X-Men, which sucked. Wolverine was (seemingly) permanently feral, no nose and bandana, so that ruined the character for me and I think I held out with Spawn until issue 85 when I realized it was never going to go anywhere.

The late 90s were not good for comics.