• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newsstand Comics
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Not new to collecting, but a quick question....I just purchased 16 long boxes, and 90% of the collection are newsstand issues. The value for them compared to Direct issues are a bit more, maybe $2.00 or less, but that`s about it. I plan on filtering out what I need/want and figured I`d sell the rest. Do any of you see a reason for me to hold onto them? I noticed for awhile now the newsstand issues are picking up. Titles include, Batman, Flash, Iron Man, Uncanny X-Men, Capt. America, GI Joe, mainly recognizable characters with a couple boxes of assorted titles. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Depends. It is all about condition. The lower the grade goes so to goes the price gap versus direct market additions. Also, if the book is just a run book expect less of a premium versus a key issue. As far as holding onto them only you can really answer that. I personally think that the newsie frenzy will subside. It has always been a thing but once it got to facebook groups a lot more people want them thinking that is what you HAVE to go for. 

Myself I try to get one of each version raw in NM or better on the things I collect. I have a narrow collecting focus so it isn’t too cost prohibitive though I don’t chase the crazy FOMO prices.  

Thanks for your opinions. The condition on 80% of them are nice, NM or so. Old bags and boards, but present well when re-bagged. They span from around 1979 till the mid 90`s. I myself don`t really see the big deal. I understand the newsstand issues got handled more, so less books in nice condition,  but the UPC box to me is nothing. I think what I may do is keep the semi-key/keys that are newsstand, and dump the rest for a bit more on the back end. I just don`t want to be kicking myself down the line when I find out they blew up in price and I practically gave them away.

2 hours ago, kilowatt said:

Thanks for your opinions. The condition on 80% of them are nice, NM or so. Old bags and boards, but present well when re-bagged. They span from around 1979 till the mid 90`s. I myself don`t really see the big deal. I understand the newsstand issues got handled more, so less books in nice condition,  but the UPC box to me is nothing. I think what I may do is keep the semi-key/keys that are newsstand, and dump the rest for a bit more on the back end. I just don`t want to be kicking myself down the line when I find out they blew up in price and I practically gave them away.

Until the 1990s, there is very little difference between direct and news stand copies, value wise. It is really only after 1994 or so that there is a premium attached to most news stand issues.

4 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Until the 1990s, there is very little difference between direct and news stand copies, value wise. It is really only after 1994 or so that there is a premium attached to most news stand issues.

Mm, not sure about that. 80's key books like She-Hulk 1, ASM 300, and Thor 337 are getting higher prices for the newsstand versions right now.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:
1 hour ago, shadroch said:

Mm, not sure about that. 80's key books like She-Hulk 1, ASM 300, and Thor 337 are getting higher prices for the newsstand versions right now.

Yes and the argument is the newsstand books were destroyed more. G.I. Joe early issues is always brought up. I am not sure I can believe that because
the newsstand market was so much larger. 

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

She-Hulk 1 came out when the direct market was in it's infancy, so the vast majority of copies would be news-stand. Thor 337 was very under-ordered by store owners, as was ASM 300.  I can't speak about other areas, but on Long Island, many,if not most copies of the news-stand 337s never made it to  the news-stand as they were scoffed up at the distributors by store owners and speculators willing to pay full cover for them. 

In any event, three or four books out of the thousands of issues published seems to re-enforce my point, not  negate it.

It largely depends on the title, whether the book is a key and most important the grade of the book.

As you mentioned G.I.Joe we can use the title as a very good example. The original Marvel run has many books of value in news stand copies but only in the ever elusive grade of CGC 9.8. The odds of the books being in 9.8 is low, and unless you are very good at grading and are able to pick out the 9.8 books they are not worth submitting. That is because the run books in CGC 9.6 are worth $23. Some books from that run are very valuable though ( #21 ) so you will need to be able to break out what books are the keys and be able to grade the books as you go through them. 

I just checked my 1st Series She-Hulks, it's about a quarter of a short box so maybe 40 copies. All are news-stand. I do segregate what I call Whitmans  but they are not organized so I'd have to go thru all the boxes.

Edited by shadroch

23 hours ago, kilowatt said:

Not new to collecting, but a quick question....I just purchased 16 long boxes, and 90% of the collection are newsstand issues. The value for them compared to Direct issues are a bit more, maybe $2.00 or less, but that`s about it. I plan on filtering out what I need/want and figured I`d sell the rest. Do any of you see a reason for me to hold onto them? I noticed for awhile now the newsstand issues are picking up. Titles include, Batman, Flash, Iron Man, Uncanny X-Men, Capt. America, GI Joe, mainly recognizable characters with a couple boxes of assorted titles. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Careful newstand can be canadien price variant or have a marx jewell centerfold in them better check one by one!

21 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Yes, people are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who blindly believe false hype. Good point!

40 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes, people are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who blindly believe false hype. Good point!

I myself only purchase the newsstand version of those key issues when given a choice and can find a deal on them. I just like the look of the newsstand versions better.

I think newsstands are here to stay. The attention they are getting doesn't seem to be diminishing and in almost all cases they are surpassing their direct counterparts. Add in the current heavy focus on covers and scarcity and I think the newsstands play into both factors well and will keep driving collectibility. 

I predict some new very pricey and scarce newsstand variants will be discovered in 2021.

On 1/15/2021 at 8:22 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Most (heck maybe all) key books in 9.8 goes for more as newsstand now. From Star Wars 42 a 1980 book to NM 98 to more recent books like Clone Wars 1.

Plus a lot of books go for more in the 80's-mid 90's as newsstand in most any grade. It's vastly beyond 3 or 4 books.

While newsstand were in fact more common up until around the mid 80's there is an idea of thought that newsstands were taken less care of and damaged more on the stands. Certain books are also very sought after in newsstand in any grade because of perceived rarity.
An example would be something like Transformers 1.

Edited by Rip
better...