• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tale of two Batmen
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Wow in one week record breaking results for two paper collectibles encased in plastic

May be apples and oranges, but i'm surprised the Mickey Mantle card got about double what the Batman comic sold for for a few reasons. but mostly because if collecting is based on nostalgia , Mantle's career ended 30 years ago. Icon that he his, many of the people collecting cards of players who were Baseball players from that era are older and a (more and more)limited pool for obvious reasons. A 30 year old millionaire baseball collector can't 'relate' to Mantle on the same level that someone who grew up in his heyday (going to games or watching them on TV, following his exploits in real time) can.

Batman (fictional character) around since before even Mantle, is a constant enduring presence in many ways (TV, Toys, Movies, Print, etc) so he crosses generation after generation. All can relate whether you were born 90 or 9 years ago. One does not have to be into comics to know who the character is

I will admit, i am not a sports guy, but you don't have to be into them to recognize the figures that become bigger than their respective sport. I completely recognize Mr. Mantle's place in pop culture. But, if you would have told me last year, the single best known copy of Batman #1 and a mint 1952 Micky Mantle card (two slabbed paper collectibles) would come to auction in the same week and that the Mantle card would fetch more i would have seriously doubted that. 

Again, maybe apples and oranges (and i'm sure no shortage of boardies would gladly lay out a case pointing out such) but i'm always open to realizations i probably didn't consider when musing about things like this  :foryou: 

But overall, a GREAT week for collectibles!

cbsnews.com/news/mickey-mantle-baseball-card-5-2-million/

Mantle's career did end a long time ago, but his rookie card is an icon in the hobby...much more so than Batman 1 is in comics. The T-206 Wagner is the king, but the '52 Mantle isn't far behind. It transcends the hobby. 

Given the choice between the 9.4 Batman 1 and an equivalently priced Mantle, I would take the Mantle. And that's coming from someone who collects both, but is FAR more into comics. 

1 minute ago, october said:

Mantle's career did end a long time ago, but his rookie card is an icon in the hobby...much more so than Batman 1 is in comics. The T-206 Wagner is the king, but the '52 Mantle isn't far behind. It transcends the hobby. 

Given the choice between the 9.4 Batman 1 and an equivalently priced Mantle, I would take the Mantle. And that's coming from someone who collects both, but is FAR more into comics. 

Appreciate the feedback , and knowing how much you appear to love comics, that's saying something 

2 minutes ago, sagii said:

20210117_153637.jpg

It's unreal, just unreal, how journalists still use these dopey *BANG*POW*BLAM* headlines referencing an equally dopey show that went off the air fifty %$#$@^ years ago.

It's like nails on a blackboard to me, and they ALL do it. EVERY TIME.

Just now, sagii said:

Appreciate the feedback , and knowing how much you appear to love comics, that's saying something 

I collected cards as a kid (late 80's/early 90's), and even then the Mantle was the king of the hill. I remember my dad and I talking about Mr. Mint's find when I was in grade school. 

It's a crazy story. Rivals the Church find in value, if (obviously) not in scope. 

https://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/7813/pulp-non-fiction-famous-1952-topps-baseball-find

2 minutes ago, october said:

It's unreal, just unreal, how journalists still use these dopey *BANG*POW*BLAM* headlines referencing an equally dopey show that went off the air fifty %$#$@^ years ago.

It's like nails on a blackboard to me, and they ALL do it. EVERY TIME.

lol

Even after the Dark Knight and the Nolan trilogy,  that is one part of Batman's legacy he may never escape 

Mantle's rookie card actually came out in the 1951 Bowman set.  In the PSA registry, there are six PSA 9 Mantles and three PSA 10 Mantles.  1952 Topps Mantle 311 was one of the high number cards from the sixth series.  As the story goes, Sy Berger and Woody Gelman could not get rid of several hundred cases of the sixth series and decided to dump them into the Atlantic Ocean.

I am surprised that the king of baseball cards is not the T206 Honus Wagner.

11 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

I am surprised that the king of baseball cards is not the T206 Honus Wagner.

The PSA 8 Wagner, despite being trimmed, or the "jumbo" Wagner would likely retake the highest price title if either came up for sale.