• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stories about our first contact that sealed our love for comics in general
2 2

36 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, B2D327 said:

My introduction to comics was at 3 years old when my oldest brother gave me a copy of X-men #87 and although I couldn’t read yet, the pictures fascinated me and my lifelong journey into artwork began. He would continue to feed what was a voracious appetite by giving me a new comic every few days or so and encouraging me to keep drawing well into my adulthood. That love for the medium has stayed with me now going into my 51st birthday with no signs of stopping anytime soon. I’m still finding new examples of artwork in comics that wow me every day both old and new that will keep me interested and continually seeking them out for years to come, picking up influences here and there that will help my own artwork evolve for years to come.

Here’s something I’ve probably posted in the “personal artwork” thread before but still learning and hopefully improving too

3D74BB43-8091-4657-B581-C19A11DBBF35.jpeg

This is your drawing??if so wow !!!

I'm the father of this  young man and I remenber those days at that time my son is 5 years old and he don't know the old man infront of him, he don't know he's the creator of Lucky Luke then after he sign his comic book he ask my son (veux-tu une petite pine) he look at me what he said pa it's a figure of Ratanpla with a needle  to tag your t-shirt it's the dog in the story of Lucky Luke, so my son have a tag of Rantaplan from the hand of Morris it was a great day

Edited by ff7gamer

I used to visit my grandparents in North London and had an Uncle who lived next door who was a bus driver. From the age of 5 (1968), whenever I visited he would pick up a couple of american comic books on the way home from work to give to me. They always had either Batman or Superman on the cover and invariably Neal Adams cover art. They seemed so exciting compared with British comics (the glossy covers and groovy adverts). I could'nt buy them myself because of poor distribution and lack of continuity.

I was out of the hobby from the age of 22 until I dug out piles of books from my parents attic in 2005. Thanks to the internet and CGC and my early memories of those books my enthusiasm has been rekindled.

4 hours ago, ff7gamer said:

I'm the father of this  young man and I remenber those days at that time my son is 5 years old and he don't know the old man infront of him, he don't know he's the creator of Lucky Luke then after he sign his comic book he ask my son (veux-tu une petite pine) he look at me what he said pa it's a figure of Ratanpla with a needle  to tag your t-shirt it's the dog in the story of Lucky Luke, so my son have a tag of Rantaplan from the hand of Morris it was a great day

Merci encore pa c'était toute une journée, yen a eut dautre et il y en aura encore 

8 hours ago, Namtak said:

This is your drawing??if so wow !!!

Yes. I haven't posted anything new in awhile but I still get inspiration looking through the various threads, seeing the covers to books other boardies have added to their collection. I started off with the traditional "pencil and paper" but was amazed at what's possible using digital in the past few years. The money it's saved me in art supplies has all gone to buying more comic books. :banana:

Edited by B2D327

Hulk 2003 movie really sealed the deal for me.. Spider-Man 1 2002 was a very very very big deal also ... Blade also ... it was the right amount of weird that fascinated me.. the movies were based on Stan Lee and Ditko/Kirby stories so I read the first 4-5 issues of all the series like ASM, Hulk, FF.. 

18 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

it was a given that boys in our city in the early 70's were going to collect comic books and baseball cards ... i'm not sure if there was anyone who didn't 

That’s how it was in my grade school , our 4th grade teacher had lots of comics an canards in his drawer that he confiscated from us kids whe we brought them to class , we were not allowed to bring them to class so he took them, never gave them back either ‼️👍🏀 I bet there was some good keys too 🤪🤪