• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stories about our first contact that sealed our love for comics in general
2 2

36 posts in this topic

For me, Saturday morning cartoons are to blame, specifically Spider-man and his Amazing Friends.  Ironically though I never collected Spidey, but he had a group of guest stars that wowed the out of me...The X-Men.  It was the origin story of Firestar.  Juggernaut was featured in a battle with the X-Men and it was pretty epic!  I was hooked and bought my very first comic, X-Men 172 right off the rack.  Wolverine became my favorite character and remains so today.  From that issue I learned about back issues and such so I started collecting mainly X-Men and other mutant related books like New Mutants.  And I still have that XM 172, which has since been signed by Shooter and slabbed.

Really started when I was 11.  There is a Walgreen's about a block away from my parents house and with my allowance every week, I'd go to said Walgreen's and buy candy, toys, etc.  One day I noticed a spinner rack with comic books and saw Night Thrasher #1 (https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Night_Thrasher_Vol_1_1) with it's horrible foil cover and over-exaggerated 90's Saltares cover.  I was immediately drawn to it and read the entire book right there, in the middle of a Walgreen's toy aisle.  I'm forever indebted to Night Thrasher and spinner racks.

Edited by sagekilz

As a kid I sporadically bought SA DC Batman, Detective and the war titles. Then one day, I saw a copy of Spider-Man #3 on the shelf and bought it because it looked looked cool and I’d never noticed a comic from this “Marvel” publisher. From that time on I picked up Spider-Man, FF4, Hulk every month. Later X-Men. Never did like Thor. 

A month or two later, I was in the cigar store with my Grandpa and asked if I could get some comics. I grabbed a stack and something that looked kind of weird and cool. MAD Magazine #72.   This really blew my mind. By far my favorite and something I bought monthly for close to 40 years. 

MAD was the first comic I realized I needed to have every issue of. I would trade kids in the neighborhood, hit garage sales and flea markets. My dad took me to a used book store and stopped me off with a little money while he did some business. There I spotted a MAD #9 talked to the wall in a plastic bag. Priced at $3. I had no idea it was ever a comic book and the oldest issue I’d ever seen. I had to have it. This was an important day for me. I had never paid any more than cover price for a comic. That was it. I was a hooked collector from then on. 

i got enormous reading pleasure and appreciation for the SA legends through marvel's first tpb books, ORIGINS OF MARVEL COMICS, SONS OF ORIGINS, and especially BRING ON THE BAD GUYS. with fantastic painted covers, i read and reread those books until pages were falling out. i've no idea when i got them, or how, but they were like bibles for me. for some reason i liked the origins of villains best of all. green goblin, dr doom, and dormammu in particular. 

22 minutes ago, kav said:

I've told this before it was 1967 I was 8 years old my dad was renovating an apartment and gave us kids a quarter each.  We went to the store to buy candy.  Back then candy was in a wooden case with glass and you pointed at what you wanted.  I was wandering around and saw a spinner rack.  I was riveted.  I saw Action 350-a skeleton superman-I grabbed it.  Then a baby super heroes book-Adventure 356.  I took em up to the counter and had 1c left for red licorice.
I remember everything about that day-the weather-what I had for lunch, where I was when I read each comic.  

Action_Comics_350.jpg

adv_356.png

That's what she said.