• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3rd Edition Overstreet Price Guide Hardcover

11 posts in this topic

A friend of mine has recently hired me to sell off a massive collection he found in the garage of a house he bought. Supposedly one of Doug Sulipa's (Comic World) really good friends who was a massive investor/speculator throughout the 70's/80's/90's. About 10,000 comics or so, mostly near mint keys, so far over 150k or so books (full batman runs, full asm runs, full xmen runs, full conan, full detective comics etc etc etc). I wont go into too much detail yet, but soon I will be showing everything off. Its pretty disgusting how much money is in this collection... I am sure I cant advertise my facebook group where I will be posting the collection slowly as I prep for a massive CGC haul, but in my profile I have a cover photo, same name as my IG and Fb if you wanna follow.

As I am pricing everything out so far, I stumbled across this 3rd edition overstreet price guide. I found a few articled pertaining that these types of hard covers were only printed/bounded to a limit of 100 for issue #2 and #3 (https://comics.ha.com/heritage-auctions-newsletter/comics-and-animation-news-family-guy-lou-fine-and-a-pedigree-collection.s?id=5604)

Anyone got any ideas how much it could be valued at?

20210116_100454.jpg

20210116_100502.jpg

20210116_100517.jpg

20210116_100522.jpg

139675848_275004187308960_201509191652080381_n.jpg

Edited by Ryan Vandal
forgot to upload the pics cause I am dumb.

Hopefully, a fellow boardie @David Stone sees this thread and can shed some insight on the current value.

David wrote the Heritage articles and even mentions purchasing a hard cover #3 off ebay in the following thread:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/437370-2nd-edition-overstreet-price-guide-hardcover/?tab=comments#comment-10554602

4 hours ago, B2D327 said:

I can imagine a book like that probably had a dust jacket. If it does and you can find it in the collection, it would probably increase the value and scarcity.

It did, but I think it may have been after market as it was just a clear sleeve? Not sure, either way I still have it, I just took it off to take better pics of the book.

20210116_092749.jpg

20210116_092755.jpg

Edited by Ryan Vandal

4 hours ago, B2D327 said:

I can imagine a book like that probably had a dust jacket. If it does and you can find it in the collection, it would probably increase the value and scarcity.

There's no dust jacket for that book.  There's one for issue 2 as well.  I have both signed by Bob Overstreet. 

Overstreet doesn't list the leather bound editions. (they reference the with a code "L", but dont list any). Hard to come up with a price. They are scarce and cool for the completist Overstreet collector... problem is most probably already have the set!  and hard to gauge the demand from the new enthusiastic generation of collectors too. But there have been sales here and there.  Try Heritage archives.

3 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Heritage past sales seem to indicate a value range between $260-$480:

image.png.47f576d11b67227407e85abdd5a22ab0.png

That seems to be the range that it sells at.  I recall paying in the $300 range off a seller on eBay that had a number three as well as a 2 (paid around $400-600ish) but I bought these around 10 years ago.  It seems that most people who want this book tend to have it already.