• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the next Incredible Hulk 181?

54 posts in this topic

I reasonably know it isn't. No "first" appearance and whatnot. The recent sale of a 9.8 at $31k is certain to be a trend setter. Metro has a copy they wanted $9k for and now they want $30k overnight. Does that make my 8.0 a multiple K book now? Maybe. I bought my 9.0 Bat 251 in 2012 for $113 and now I could probably ask upward of $1k for it. I wish I had bought ten of them. Or 10 9.4's. I had enough trouble at home explaining why I spent $113 say nothing about a couple K's "speculating.

I'm excited for the future of the 227. The book is a bit of a paradox and an outlier. In decent grade, it should be even more sought after given the press the $31k hammer price it commanded. Pedigree or not, perhaps we who own one will all benefit. Here's my reasonable copy:

Bat 227 8.0 Front.jpg

I'm not so sure 30K will be a trend, Its yo-yo'ed up and down a few times. Took quite a long time to come close to match its early 10K range 9.8 sale or two. Certainly one of the top bronze age covers out there. But I can think of at least 4 or 5 other DC covers including Batman covers that are really quite nice as well and are much much tougher to get in grade. That buyer should have taken Metro's copy at 9K. 

I've had a couple 9.4's over the years and sold them hoping for a sweet 9.6. Now I think I'm just going to have to settle for a well centered white 9.4 but who knows.

Edited by Rip

If there is any Batman 227 that's undervalued its the foreign variants. Especially the Mexican, AU, Brazil Ebal and the Lebanon covers.
With the Lebanon cover being next to impossible to get, followed by the AU Tip Top 98.

Edited by Rip

2 hours ago, Rip said:

If there is any Batman 227 that's undervalued its the foreign variants. Especially the Mexican, AU, Brazil Ebal and the Lebanon covers.
With the Lebanon cover being next to impossible to get, followed by the AU Tip Top 98.

I just don't have a taste for the foreign variants at all. Sometimes even the covers are a cheap knock-off of the original art. I don't understand the appeal.

3 hours ago, Rip said:

I'm not so sure 30K will be a trend, Its yo-yo'ed up and down a few times. Took quite a long time to come close to match its early 10K range 9.8 sale or two. Certainly one of the top bronze age covers out there. But I can think of at least 4 or 5 other DC covers including Batman covers that are really quite nice as well and are much much tougher to get in grade. That buyer should have taken Metro's copy at 9K. 

I've had a couple 9.4's over the years and sold them hoping for a sweet 9.6. Now I think I'm just going to have to settle for a well centered white 9.4 but who knows.

The guy who spent $31k bought the Pennyworth copy. Then I was told no it wasn't the Pennyworth copy. I think it was, though. Metro then raised their $9k 9.8 copy to $30K. That's not a pedigree. It didn't move at $9k and it isn't going to move at $30k either. it's a nice copy. But not $30k nice.

Let's jump on Batman 230. It has a black cover. A gothic feel to it plus it addresses racial stuff, protesting, rioting and public bombings. Perfect for our times. Has an Adams cover and an (uck) Irv Novick interior. Plus the only appearance and death of "Rap", the biker criminal with the heart of gold.

The back-up story features Robin, who having been trained by Batman himself for over ten years and should be a lethal weapon at this point, gets his kicked by some goofy, untrained students like he does in every Robin story. See, Grayson "holds back" and can't allow himself to make it "look too good" lest these radical students deduce Robin is actually Grayson wearing a domino mask.

I think Batman 230 is the next Batman 227.

bat1.18740.jpg

606699.jpg

It was the "Pennyworth copy" which really isn't a pedigree. Its a provenance.

Really really nice centering and white pages helped it for certain. The QP is far superior to the Twin Cities copy.

Not so sure about Bats 230, but good luck. 2c

Edited by Rip

8 hours ago, Rip said:

It was the "Pennyworth copy" which really isn't a pedigree. Its a provenance.

Really really nice centering and white pages helped it for certain. The QP is far superior to the Twin Cities copy.

Not so sure about Bats 230, but good luck. 2c

Yes. Was kidding about Bat 230. The book has the same hallmarks as 227 except Bob Kane didn't draw one in 1939.

Batman 227 has been on collecting radar for quite a while due to the Cover swipe. In terms of 232 I think both are amazing covers. The 232 is an appearance key, the 227 is tougher in 9.8. 

all that said 31k is getting fleeced for that book especially with another one available.

Yes I posted about this book when it closed. 31K for a 9.8 227 and 8.4K for a 9.8 232. One has the 1st appearance of one of Batmans greatest foes, and the other has "Extra" Robin. Just don't seem right. Especially since I sold my 227 a year or so ago and bought a 232 with the proceeds (It's true, a 7.0 227 White for a 9.0 232 White). 

But I don't think comparing Bat 227 to Hulk 181 is a good comparison. Again, one has the 1st (full) appearance of perhaps the most popular X-Man of all time and the other.........Robin.

Edited by Professor Chaos

3 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Yes I posted about this book when it closed. 31K for a 9.8 227 and 8.4K for a 9.8 232. One has the 1st appearance of one of Batmans greatest foes, and the other has "Extra" Robin. Just don't seem right. Especially since I sold my 227 a year or so ago and bought a 232 with the proceeds (It's true, a 7.0 227 White for a 9.0 232 White). 

But I don't think comparing Bat 227 to Hulk 181 is a good comparison. Again, one has the 1st (full) appearance of perhaps the most popular X-Man of all time and the other.........Robin.

All of this is accurate. I do think it's much more legitimate to compare 232 to 181--maybe 181 is still superior, but at least 232 can make a case. 227 versus 232, though, isn't even a debate. It's not Coke versus Pepsi; it's Coke versus...Chek Cola.

On 1/25/2021 at 6:00 PM, Rip said:

1. Those aren't Batman 227s

2. Those aren't variants

3. Those are just niche junk, no matter how much certain people pump them

11 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

All of this is accurate. I do think it's much more legitimate to compare 232 to 181--maybe 181 is still superior, but at least 232 can make a case. 227 versus 232, though, isn't even a debate. It's not Coke versus Pepsi; it's Coke versus...Chek Cola.

No of course not. Whenever a bronze age book suddenly gets carried away with itself, I start a thread called "Is xxx#xxx the next Incredible Hulk 181?" Like Bat 251, for example. And now 227.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

1. Those aren't Batman 227s

2. Those aren't variants

3. Those are just niche junk, no matter how much certain people pump them

You wouldn't believe the amount of different niche junk I collect.

10 hours ago, Rip said:

You wouldn't believe the amount of different niche junk I collect.

I respect anything people collect even though I may not understand why. Had an uncle who collected bottle caps. He had an ocean of 50 gallon trash bags full of the things. He separated the old and the special. I got it, though not my thing. There's a middle aged guy somewhere who is laughing now because he collected all the Wacky Packages in the 1970's and had the foresight to buy boxes of unopened packages INCLUDING the box. I'd give what's left of my testes to have just one.

Although I don't get foreign editions of comics, I get why people buy them. Lately I have been interested in Mexican telenovels. I bet MST3K would have a field day on them.