• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Herb Trimpe

38 posts in this topic

I've liked Trimpe's work on Hulk ever since I was a kid in the 70s, especially the periods during which his pencils were inked by John Severin and Sal Trapani.

He's been given a lot of very harsh and undue criticism, as I posted elsewhere here in General.  A very solid, workmanlike style, of its time, and allowances have to be made for the fact that it's art from around a half century ago now. 

7 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I've liked Trimpe's work on Hulk ever since I was a kid in the 70s, especially the periods during which his pencils were inked by John Severin and Sal Trapani.

He's been given a lot of very harsh and undue criticism, as I posted elsewhere here in General.  A very solid, workmanlike style, of its time, and allowances have to be made for the fact that it's art from around a half century ago now. 

Trimpe and Severin :cloud9:

GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

4 hours ago, E5150 said:

This is the reason artists charge so much for signatures and charge extra for slabbed books. Too many greedy people 2c

I have sold hundreds of art commissions. Just seems strange to me to put a condition on the sale of "you better not sell this on Ebay", gives the buyer a reason to not deal with you.

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Just seems strange to me to put a condition on the sale of "you better not sell this on Ebay"

I think it's just a desire to make their opinion of flippers known.  I can understand why someone who produces something has a distaste for flippers. Artists are justified in hating on flippers.  Flippers... get lost, eh.

I bought an old motorcycle from someone who basically interviewed me to see if they thought I was worthy before they would sell it to me.  I totally understand that.  I wouldn't sell an old Harley to a d-bag either.

Edited by Turnando

11 hours ago, jimjum12 said:
11 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Trimpe and Severin :cloud9:

GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

Severin was my favorite inker on Trimpe. I once asked him at a show about Severin's inking, since he had such a strong style, and Herb thought those pages looked great as well.

Here's a photo I took of Herb Trimpe and Ron Wilson back in 2008 at Baltimore Comic Con. I saw them standing to the side, chatting, and thought it was such a cool moment that I asked them for a photo. Mr. Trimpe was such a giving, gregarious guy, I'm so grateful for my brief interactions with him. (and Ron Wilson, too!)

Herb Trimpe and Ron Wilson.jpg

5 minutes ago, Turtle said:

My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I first met Herb and Patricia at a very small show in the Dallas/Fort Worth area in early 2009 about 2 weeks before NYCC where we also attended.  I had asked Herb for a few signatures and we just got to talking.  I work in mining and he had a million questions about it, which I was happy to answer as it meant I didn't feel bad asking some of my comic-related questions.  All the while, my wife is talking to Patricia, who was right there beside him selling some handmade jewelry.  We ended up talking with them for about 2 hours that day and told them we'd swing by and say hi at NYCC.  We weren't planning on taking up much of their time as we knew NYCC would be way busier than the small Texas show.  When we saw them, they jumped out of their seats and waved us over like we were old family friends.  In fact, that's how they greeted us every time we saw them after that.  They were such warm, loving people.  

A few years later, my wife and I got married and Herb surprised me with a wedding gift.  He was an incredibly thoughtful human being and I'm reminded of that every time I see a piece by him.  He is missed.

Hulk.png.038b8e1fbae595bcc90848972145cdd5.png

That is Heart Melting :x:foryou: 

21 hours ago, Turnando said:

I think it's just a desire to make their opinion of flippers known.  I can understand why someone who produces something has a distaste for flippers. Artists are justified in hating on flippers.  Flippers... get lost, eh.

I bought an old motorcycle from someone who basically interviewed me to see if they thought I was worthy before they would sell it to me.  I totally understand that.  I wouldn't sell an old Harley to a d-bag either.

Judy's brother had a '57 panhead ... you had to approach it carefully or he'd start getting edgy. It was sweet. You could hear it two blocks away. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu