• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Fantastic Four #6
3 3

27 posts in this topic

First, story time quick. My friend messages me earlier today and says a friend of his dads has comics. I get a couple pics and this issue was one. I tell him I’ll pay $$$ for it and budda boom budda bing, he drops it off and now I have it!

I know what I would give for a grade but wondering what everyone here thinks. Complete, centrefold and cover attached. Major flaws are what ya see!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm a sucker for golden and silver age books. If that cover is attached I'll give it a 1.0. 

I have a question for the graders here. Does a book that old benefit from a pressing? Do those wrinkles even press out? Just wondering.

Just now, Mars76 said:

I'm a sucker for golden and silver age books. If that cover is attached I'll give it a 1.0. 

I have a question for the graders here. Does a book that old benefit from a pressing? Do those wrinkles even press out? Just wondering.

Yes. A lot of those flaws are definitely improvable imo with a good pressing/cleaning. The not so improvable ones are the rust stains and micro tears but even those can be helped enough to give what many call “eye appeal”

7 hours ago, B2D327 said:

Yes. A lot of those flaws are definitely improvable imo with a good pressing/cleaning. The not so improvable ones are the rust stains and micro tears but even those can be helped enough to give what many call “eye appeal”

Just so you know there are no rust stains. The staples are fine. That stain you see is just that, a regular stain of some kind 

9 hours ago, B2D327 said:

2.0 and with the right cpr, that book can look amazing

This is what I was curious about the most, is whether or not a press would be safe enough to maybe smooth it out. I am not concerned with the alignment, although I know a lot of guys care and would try that but my worry (unless they are a great presser) is that they could run the risk of tearing or loosening the staples from the cover, to which they are still attached very well

2 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

You think it would cost more than $40-50 to press and clean enough to get it there?

I don't press books, but I would be very surprised if a press alone gets that to a 2.5. I hope I'm proven wrong.

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

I don't press books, but I would be very surprised if a press alone gets that to a 2.5. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Ok but what are you implying it would take to get to a 2.5? I’m not interested in any resto if that’s what you were thinking. If I do ever grade it, a clean and press would be all I would invest in as I’m not aware of anything else people offer that would serve to help this book....