• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s your longest dry spell?
4 4

41 posts in this topic

Just to be clear.  You're still collecting, it's just the the ones you need/want are not coming up for sale.  I guess for me since I started collecting again in 2018 I was buying a lot since it was a new collection but I finally hit a wall.

Edited by Xenosmilus

Good question. I was just thinking this. It has been about 6 months for me which is strange. I figured out that I have all the books I want except for the 4-5 that I cannot afford in the condition I desire. I try to only buy comics with funny money so now it’s time to save up. This was bound to happen. I still haven’t come to terms with spending 10K on a comic. Panic inducing. 

How long ago did CGC change their slabs?

It’s been at least that long. 

I watch a ton of slabs on EBay, but they’re so over-priced I rarely even bother making an offer. 

Broke my dry spell yesterday, and pulled the trigger on this book.  B333A6F8-7035-44D6-B2AC-95830BF83EC0.jpeg.074e60566c15274b1162eff7f0012597.jpeg

FD82AD59-E132-4B9D-A589-FB631C078CEF.gif

3 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

How long ago did CGC change their slabs?

It’s been at least that long. 

I watch a ton of slabs on EBay, but they’re so over-priced I rarely even bother making an offer. 

Broke my dry spell yesterday, and pulled the trigger on this book.  B333A6F8-7035-44D6-B2AC-95830BF83EC0.jpeg.074e60566c15274b1162eff7f0012597.jpeg

FD82AD59-E132-4B9D-A589-FB631C078CEF.gif

2016 :foryou: for the latest slabs, the newest and most bestus....

giphy.gif

I've had a 6 month dry spell (kind of) of "goal comics that satisfy" 

I've somehow turned my goal comics into impulse purchases, which cheapens the thrill somehow :pullhair: 

I mean I'll say, I want a book. I'm broke or it's out of reach. Then 6 months later I buy it on impulse :ohnoez: 

Kind of like why did I wait 6 months......... anyway :tonofbricks: 

Pizza-gif.gif

My longest dry spell?  Or my current dry spell?

Current isn’t that long.  About a month.  Though I only bought two books last year.

Longest is probably a three or four years.  From 2015-2019 or so.  
And if you go longest for comics instead of slabs it would be about 15 years.  From 1994 when I sold my comic store to around 2008 when I got divorced.

I must of bought my first slabs over 10 years ago now without knowing too much about them or their place in the market. My overall comic collecting also went on a hiatus not long after but since discovering these boards I think I've learned more about the marketplace than ever before and suddenly my comic interest has hit another peak.

I recently did a submission so I finally got some new slabs and I must admit it was so nice to open them up and marvel at them. Really gives me the bug to go and get more but I'm trying to stay strong and stick to going after just some key stuff I've always wanted.

The problem I find is that slab buying in the UK is mostly reliant on ebay and it's hard to find fair prices. It's definitely a sellers market right now.

1 minute ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm always buying and selling, looking and reading, grading and organizing. It seems like there's always something new and interesting to read. That's one of the great things about this hobby...it's always fun!  :)

I can empathize, it seems that way to me too, the thrill of the hunt..... it's relaxing :) 

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm always buying and selling, looking and reading, grading and organizing. It seems like there's always something new and interesting to read. That's one of the great things about this hobby...it's always fun!  :)

+1