• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

message to Brian Peck
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I know you are a huge fan of John Buscema and his artwork! Do you see on ebay, the auction of various pieces of his artwork by his grandson, who a year ago sold that tremendous piece at a shocker price? See the poignant and important message his grandson tells about his relationship with John, his grandfather, the values they shared together, and how the hobby no longer seems to be about bringing joy and happiness to other people, more about the money now.

He has a couple of SpiderMan pieces for sale, and wonders if his grandfather John had any relationship with SpiderMan, whom people forget was the third major artist to draw Spiderman. John Buscema had a long and great career at Marvel, too bad he sold or gave most of his art to others. He also talks about the theft of original art that occurred a few months ago, and how that brought more turmoil to the family.

There's a story to be told here, with lessons to be learned. You should write a book, interview him, make a youtube video, or something, so that 50 years from now, people can understand a very important part of Marvel history. In the future, if prices for his art are even more expensive than they are now, people might remember the person and the values that John Buscema represented. That's the message I seem to get from what his grandson wrote.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Buscema-ORIGINAL-Art-Wolverine-FAMILY-OWNED-Marvel-Avengers-X-Men-Conan/254835901041?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

carnage.jpg

venom.jpg

wolverine.jpg

John Buscema was an excellent soul. I’ll cherish the one and only time I met and conversed with him. It took me until within a year of the end of his life to finally meet him. I know nothing about John personally. I just know he was a masterful artist.

Money changes everything. Greed is not good (sorry Gene’s avatar). The turmoil within the Buscema family is unfortunate.Ant comes off very bitter. The theft, the family infighting, the inquiries into available art.....

I wish him peace. Very hard for me to be excited about these pieces as Ant is dropping them like something he is repulsed by (not the art but the collectors desire? The family pain?)

As I respected and liked John so much I sincerely wish his surviving family all the best.

15 hours ago, See The Art said:

There's a story to be told here, with lessons to be learned. You should write a book, interview him, make a youtube video, or something, so that 50 years from now, people can understand a very important part of Marvel history. In the future, if prices for his art are even more expensive than they are now, people might remember the person and the values that John Buscema represented. That's the message I seem to get from what his grandson wrote.

FWIW, Brian did write a book about John B and his art.

Neither book is easy to find nor inexpensive, but it is fun.

* My copy says 750, but the Amazon copy says 300. You choose. :)

15 hours ago, See The Art said:

He has a couple of SpiderMan pieces for sale, and wonders if his grandfather John had any relationship with SpiderMan, whom people forget was the third major artist to draw Spiderman. 

I'm not sure what you mean. Per Brian's checklist, JB did two Spider-man stories that I see:

• Amazing Spider-man 1999 Annual
  • Spectacular Spider-man 121

Mike's Amazing World of Comics shows three stories:

• Amazing Spider-man 1999 Annual
  • Amazing Spider-man 84
  • Amazing Spider-man 85

The GCD shows him involved with a few other Amazing Spider-man issues either doing layouts or penciling over JR's layouts. It that what you are referring to?

Edited by alxjhnsn