• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signed Comic and pressing

12 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Matt Sczepanski said:

I have some comics that I want to get graded.  They have been signed but we’re authenticated.  Can these books still get a quick press to help improve any defects or will the signature get ruined in the process?

Signed books can get pressed without affecting the signature. Though I have seen posts here that certain types of pens (like paint pens) could prove a bit problematic

6 hours ago, Matt Sczepanski said:

I have some comics that I want to get graded.  They have been signed but we’re authenticated.  Can these books still get a quick press to help improve any defects or will the signature get ruined in the process?

Authenticated signatures mean nothing to CGC. They will not count as signed book and the signature will instead be seen as a defect on your comic. If I were you, I would not send these books.

Edited by William-James88

I've heard of horror stories of pressing an older book that makes the staple part of the book break. Curious if anyone has had luck asking CGC to press only if they think it won't damage the book? I'm thinking about getting a 1978s (not super old but still concerned) book signed, pressed and then slabbed. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

6 minutes ago, KingsleyChan said:

I've heard of horror stories of pressing an older book that makes the staple part of the book break. Curious if anyone has had luck asking CGC to press only if they think it won't damage the book? I'm thinking about getting a 1978s (not super old but still concerned) book signed, pressed and then slabbed. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

That really isn't that old in the grand scheme of things. Anybody pressing books worth a damn should not have an issue unless your staple is already very loose (and in that scenario, they should not press it and tell you they wont).

6 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

That really isn't that old in the grand scheme of things. Anybody pressing books worth a damn should not have an issue unless your staple is already very loose (and in that scenario, they should not press it and tell you they wont).

Yeah I agree its not super old, hah, I'm prob just overly concerned.

But good to know, CCS won't press it if they think it'll break/dmg the book! Thanks for the response and insight.

3 hours ago, KingsleyChan said:

But good to know, CCS won't press it if they think it'll break/dmg the book! Thanks for the response and insight.

If you're going with CCS, make sure you add their Screening Service:

CCS offers a Screening service to determine whether your comic book is a suitable candidate for pressing, restoration or restoration removal. The screening fee is 1% of the fair market value ($10 minimum) of the comic at the time of screening.

Edited by Chazgee

3 hours ago, KingsleyChan said:

Yeah I agree its not super old, hah, I'm prob just overly concerned.

I just double checked and CCS wont press if it may danage the  book IF you pay extra for the screening service.

I still dont think it's an issue with your book but if you are worried, then the Screening is the way to go.

The press service I use (cfp comics) includes the screening service by default at no extra charge.

Edited by William-James88

8 minutes ago, Matt Sczepanski said:

What is the difference between a Blue or Green label?

The better question is the following:
Are you hoping that CGC recognizes that the comic has been signed?
Because if yes, then this is not how it works, CGC only counts signatures they personally witnessed. 

As I wrote above, do not send these in, the signature will not be counted. 

Everyone has different preferences.  Do some research and decide what works right for you and your books