• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Conan The Barbarian #1
3 3

18 posts in this topic

I'm trying to learn about grading from reading these PGM threads. Can I ask why is this rated as only a 7? I can see it has some minor creases on the top corners.

According to CGC's "Standard Grading Scale" 9.2 is "very well preserved... some wear". Why wouldn't it meet this rating?

1 hour ago, Albert Thurgood said:

I'm trying to learn about grading from reading these PGM threads. Can I ask why is this rated as only a 7? I can see it has some minor creases on the top corners.

According to CGC's "Standard Grading Scale" 9.2 is "very well preserved... some wear". Why wouldn't it meet this rating?

This is just my opinion on what I see that keeps this from being a 9.2. To me anything 9.0 and over is NM. When I look at this book it is very nice and has great colors and just by looking at it I feel that it's an 8.0. Upon closer inspection I see that theres some spine issues, mainly a few dents and color breaking tics to go along with that ding on the top left corner. Even with all that I wouldn't feel too uncomfortable saying it's an 8.0. Once you look at the back though you see that the back isn't smooth, it's very dirty, and crinkly. For me personally I wouldn't feel honest trying to pass it off as a 9.2. A 9.0 and above to me should look like it came off the rack for the most part. Thats why I think it's a 7.0 and possibly a 7.5. I'm not an expert and theres more qualified people on here to explain the process of grading. I'm just on here cause it's fun. Hope this helped a little. 

Edited by Mars76
Spelling error

7 hours ago, Albert Thurgood said:

You will have to keep in mind that a 9.4 is basically fresh-off-the-shelf condition. This isn't close to Near Mint. 2c

The corners immediately bring it down. It's the first thing I look at. the corner that has the color breaks is the worst but if you flip to the back cover, you see yet another corner issue. It also has some checks along the spine, another unacceptable issue. The book is to be sought after, don't misunderstand me but as has been said, 9.0 is near perfection. It's extremely easy to slip to an 8.0, and then down to 7.5.  Overstree tends to look casually at grading in the price guide and is quite different in the other publication grading comics. 

I had three copies of this fresh off the news stand back arounds    '71 and they all got different grades. Anything above a 7.0 is a very nice comic. The money is in the 9.0's