• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four 59
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hey all, long time lurker first time poster.. thank you in advance for having me here :)

I picked this book up and it seems really nice, I'm loving the old FF books and have recently started building a collection.

I have a few questions.. 

1) it appears the inner print is visible on the front cover.. not as in I can see the ink but I can see faint indent lines in the bottom left and very slightly on the top right.

2) the colours are great on this book, the black and darker colours are almost too good, is that a sign of something being done to this book or just a book with really good colour? 

3) the spine roll.. it looks like it 'should' be like that as the pages sorta line up pretty well, but the staples are clearly on the rear, is that usual?

4) I have not cleaned this book (yet) and am debating whether to do more than a light cotton wool ball, would an experienced cleaner be able to do much to this?

I've tried to angle the images with the light to best show off the book and areas of note, I love this forum and I'd love your experience grading this and offering any tips?

Thank you in advance.

IMG_2028 2.jpg

IMG_2029 2.jpg

IMG_2030 2.jpg

IMG_2031 2.jpg

IMG_2035 2.jpg

IMG_2036 2.jpg

IMG_2037 2.jpg

IMG_2038 2.jpg

IMG_2039 2.jpg

IMG_2040 2.jpg

IMG_2041 2.jpg

IMG_2042 2.jpg

IMG_2042 2.jpg

IMG_2043 2.jpg

IMG_2046 2.jpg

IMG_2047 2.jpg

IMG_2048 2.jpg

IMG_2049 2.jpg

That's one good looking book. I have a few silver age books that have a nice rich color. Some of those books just had a good quality print. I dont think anything has been done to it imo. I wouldn't try to clean the front I would maybe do a light cleaning of the white areas on the back cover. All that being said I would grade it as an 8.0-8.5 just because it looks so much nicer than the 7.5's I have.

14 hours ago, peted76 said:

I have a few questions.. 

1) it appears the inner print is visible on the front cover.. not as in I can see the ink but I can see faint indent lines in the bottom left and very slightly on the top right.

2) the colours are great on this book, the black and darker colours are almost too good, is that a sign of something being done to this book or just a book with really good colour? 

3) the spine roll.. it looks like it 'should' be like that as the pages sorta line up pretty well, but the staples are clearly on the rear, is that usual?

4) I have not cleaned this book (yet) and am debating whether to do more than a light cotton wool ball, would an experienced cleaner be able to do much to this?

I have some answers!

1. Those are "MFG defects", so they're negligible when it comes to condition/grade.
  2. This was obviously taken care of really well, so I doubt it's been restored, but it's always possible.
  3. Yes, that's somewhat usual for older books.
  4. I doubt that cleaning this book will improve its appearance or condition.

All of that being said, it's an 8.0 IMO.