• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMIC ART LIVE PANEL - ON COMIC ART COLLECTING!

29 posts in this topic

Tuesday night at 9pm EST!

You can expect our usual musings on the hobby along with our thoughts on last week's Heritage Auctions' Comic & Comic Art Signature Auction results. Spectacular results came in for works by artists such as Jim Lee, Sal Buscema, Alex Raymond, Neal Adams, John Romita Sr, Barry Windsor-Smith, Frank Brunner, Steve Ditko, Simon Bisley, Robert Crumb, Bernie Wrightson, David Mazzuchelli, Gil Kane, Marie Severin, John Buscema, Sprang and many others. When the auction came to an end, the total price realized for the original comic art portion of the auction was just over $4 million! Comic Art Collectors took to social sites this weekend to express their shock over many of the record sales from this Heritage Signature Auction, so we hope you bring that same energy to our discussion.

Great episode again!!! As you discussed, it did seem that even more and more pieces went significantly higher than expected. I know that of the three pieces I really had my eye on, two went for 100% more than I hoped. Didn't get anything this auction.:popcorn:

One comment I have wanted to make, and this is coming from someone who grew up reading late SA and BA comics (and likes to collect that OA first and foremost), I have realized that the "Age" of the art really doesn't make a difference.

One of the pieces I really wanted was the Jim Starlin Warlock V2 #6 cover. I do feel better that apparently the inks are fading.B| That piece sold for a little less than $12k two years ago in another Heritage Auction and now sold for over $31k. And it's version 2 of Warlock and is from 1992.

Except (and this has taken me a while to grasp), this cover looks as good (and probably better) as a lot of Jim Starlin's covers from the 1970s. It's just as "rare", it's one of a kind, so an argument can be made that it could/should sell for as much as any other Starlin cover. Yes, it wouldn't get as much because of the nostalgia factor (which can be a lot), but my point is simply, "Age" doesn't matter. It's not like a comic that is mass produced, so we all know there are many more high grade copies out there of books from the 90's than from the 60's. 

Once again, love the recaps, but it does seem like every recap episode you guys are shocked how high something goes because of the age, as opposed to saying, there is a ton of these available, or the art is not really good, or the characters are not popular, etc. 

Just my two cents on the market.

That's an intriguing thought that age doesn't matter with comic art. 

In the Fine Arts world, artists tend to peak later in their career when their best and/or most celebrated works (1) exhibit more refine, matured style and (2) arrive during periods of greatest exposure and popularity.  For example, Mona Lisa was one of Da Vinci's final paintings arriving 50 years after The Last Supper.   Norman Rockwell did paintings for Saturday Evening Post starting in 1916 but virtually all his famous pieces came in later years including Freedom of Speech (1943), Saying Grace (1943) and even Triple Self-Portrait (1961) at the ripe age of 66!  Modern master David Hockney spent a decade drawing and painting swimming pools until Pool with Two Figures (1972), his signature work.

Comic art is a bit different as collectors usually prize pages during an artist's peak (aka prime) period-- usually coinciding with a signature title or even a partial run of popular issues.  This plays in to nostalgia as collectors tend to value more highly art from books they enjoyed reading most.  As artists extend their careers past their primes, values typically diminish as time passes from their signature work.

That said, Starlin Thanos might be an exception-- perhaps one of many-- that defy this rule.  As many know, Starlin conceived of Thanos in the mid-1970s as a demi-god adversary for his "Cosmic" heroes Warlock and Captain Marvel, joining the likes of Drax, Magus, Pip and the In-Betweener, and for a moment crossed over into mainstream Marvel with Avengers Annual #7 (1977).   Thanos didn't get his big break-- a starring lead role as Marvel's ultimate gauntlet-wielding baddie made famous in the movies--  until more a decade later in Thanos Quest (1990), Infinity Guantlet (1991-92) and the Thanos Limited Series (1993) which culminated in that Thanos #6 cover fighting Spidey, Avengers, GOTG and some FF.  This 1990s "rebirth" for Thanos came with renewed popularity and now tied to strong nostalgic currents driving 1990s art prices to new heights.  

In this case, I believe Age is relevant here but a small factor.  Certainty, a fantastic Thanos battle cover by his creator and primary artist so the buyer should be proud.  While published late in Starlin's career,  the 1990s are perhaps Thanos' peak period of popularity and a very nostalgic era for many collectors.  Collecting in the early 2000s, I considered art from the 1990s as too "Modern" (less than 10 years old)  compared to "vintage" 1970s work (30 years old)....seemed like a huge difference then.  I regret not picking up more 1990s art in hindsight.  Today, 1990s art is almost 30 years old (!) while 1970s stuff is 50 years old-- less of contrast in age. 

Edited by GreatEscape

Join the Comic Art LIVE team Tuesday evening, January 26th at 9PM EST, for our 26th live stream when we welcome original comic art collector Mikail Lotia to the show. Mikail has a fantastic collection of original art that includes a nice mix of published and commissioned artworks, including 46 Covers from many of the top names in comics from Alex Ross, Gabriele Dell'Otto, Adam Hughes and Tony Daniel. Mikail has been a CAF member for over 3 years and has shared over 250 artworks on the site from his collection, with more than 180 creators represented in total - the definition of a well balanced Comic Art Collector!

Join the Comic Art LIVE team Tuesday evening, February 16th at 9PM EST, for our 28th live stream when we welcome original comic art collector and Artist Rep Fred Chamberlain to the show. Fred's collection is a great mix of published and unpublished works, with a few of his favorite artists being Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez and Ross Andru. Fred has been a CAF member since 2007 and has shared over 500 artworks on the site from his collection, with more than 200 creators represented, including artworks by Lee Weeks, Ariel Olivetti, Paul Pelletier, John Byrne and Adam Hughes. Be sure to check out his personal CAF Gallery before the show, and also his Art Rep CAF Gallery which is called Super Pals Art, where you can inquire about purchasing artworks from the artists he represents.

Join the Comic Art LIVE team for a review of last week's ComicLink Winter Feature Auction. ComicLink's last 4 Featured Auctions have netted them well over $5.2 million in original comic art sales, with this latest auction realizing just over $1.8 million in original comic art sales. Several stand out lots from John Romita Sr, Humberto Ramos, Mark Bagley, Barry Windsor-Smith, Todd McFarlane, John Byrne and others. We'll run down all the surprising sales as well as a few deals of the night, on this special Monday night edition of Comic Art LIVE!

Join the Comic Art LIVE team Tuesday evening, March 9th at 9PM EST, for our 30th live stream when we welcome original comic art collector Michael Browning to the show. Michael has been a member of CAF since 2005, and has a very well rounded collection including works by Jim Aparo, Keith Giffen, Don Heck, Carmine Infantino, Steve Lightle, Keith Pollard, Jim Starlin and many others. Michael has been on our list to talk to for quite some time so we're looking forward to our chat with him!