• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 1940 Superman Jigsaw Puzzle club

47 posts in this topic

Post your 1940 Saalfield Puzzles

I have a bunch of these and have been assembling them during the pandemic.  They are a fun diversion.

My favorites are the 300 piece puzzles because they actually "interlock", they have "hidden" shapes like dogs, cats, axes, birds, candles, stars, etc, as pieces.  There is also a 300 piece puzzle that has the front cover to Action Comics #1.

Most of the time when you find these they are missing pieces.

Here's a complete 500 piece that I just got.

"Superman Stands Alone":

image1 (34).jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

20 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Nice collection.  Well done!  Is that a complete set? I don't even know.

No, missing at least one 300 piece puzzle and two of the 3 puzzle sets.  I long for the days when a complete puzzle in the box could be had for $100 to $150.

47 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I have quite a few of those. Nothing like batman_fan’s awsome collection. Haven’t gotton one in a while. This one is my favorite...

FADA4C42-295B-49A5-B84F-80B8539C4196.jpeg

SO SWEET with those sigs Robotman.  Do I see that one piece is missing?

Edited by gadzukes

Couldn’t find the Batman puzzle pictures but I found these.  The 300 piece ones is closer to the totalI own, may have one or two not shown.  I also have a document I was putting together with a summary of all the puzzles with pictures I will try to find.

Quick note, me being the genius I am, I figured buy two incomplete puzzles and boom, one complete puzzle for a bargain price.  Turns out, this does NOT always work.  The 500 piece puzzles appear to use a single cut pattern but the registration was really crappy so a missing piece can bet taken from another missing puzzle but the artwork won’t align.  For the 300 piece puzzles, the cut pattern can be different.  So merging puzzles may not work at all.  Registration on 300 piece puzzles seems to be better.

8A7D6FA8-A270-4524-9B83-B9FD1DA4B4D1.jpeg

5A86EBDF-1F27-4844-9CC9-5A170FF3E76E.jpeg

902C3FEA-28B6-47B8-9276-EEC6E836DAB0.jpeg

E9D527B3-7AB2-4BBA-AC73-8C1EB5731666.jpeg

824E4ADA-C4D9-4600-BF2E-BB7C8DB75E45.jpeg

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

I figured buy two incomplete puzzles and boom, one complete puzzle for a bargain price.  Turns out, this does NOT always work.  

For the 300 piece puzzles, the cut pattern can be different.  So merging puzzles may not work at all.  Registration on 300 piece puzzles seems to be better.

I have experimented with this too.  The die-cut is very close, but sometimes they print it upside down so the die-cut is wrong.  Other times they flip the die-cut so it goes the other way.

Something that I have done is buy the other (non superman) Saalfield "300" puzzles from 1940 that match the die-cut.  When they come up on ebay you can usually get them cheap (as in $10 - $15).  Saalfield used the same die-cut on these so you can find the pieces you're missing, but then you have to paint the pieces to match your superman puzzle.

Here's an example.  There were 3 pieces missing on this one (down in the water) so I took the same shapes from another cheap Saalfield Puzzle and painted them.  They are usually a little off so you might have to sand them with a dremel tool.  Some day if I find another one of these puzzles and the die cut matches, I'll switch out my painted pieces with the correct ones.

One other nice thing about buying the other non-superman 300 puzzles, is...... if the bottom of your Superman box is trashed, you can switch it out with the bottom of the non-superman box (if it's in nice shape of course).  They are exactly the same box.

image0 (49).jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

SO SWEET with those sigs Robotman.  Do I see that one piece is missing?

Got ‘em both at SDCC separately myself when they were back at the smaller convention center. Have the box too. Yes, a piece is missing. Actually two. But I won’t kick It off the wall for that.