• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - X-Men 1 (1963) - The Grade is In and Comic In Hand
2 2

33 posts in this topic

All,

First time at this but looking to send in some Marvel Keys to CGC in 2021 and reaching out to the wisdom of the Chat Board for what to expect. Starting off with a low grade X-Men #1 but one of my crown jewels. 

Notes that you can see in the pictures:

• Lots of tape - looks pretty old so not sure when done
  • Seems to be attached at the staples but not sure if that's a result of the tape or not
  • Rounded corners, tanning on inside covers, staining on inside front cover, non-white pages, chipping top back and spine, minor tears along spine and edges, 1"ish tear taped on back that's pretty visible
  • All pages accounted for and no cut outs

Realize at best a low grade, believe that tape is not considered "restoration" but want honest opinion of chances for Blue Universal grade as opposed to Green label and grade.

Thank you all in advance. 

X-Men Front.png

X-Men Back png.png

X-Men Inside Cover png.png

X-Men inside back spine png.png

X-Men Spine png.png

X-Men Back Spine png.png

X-Men Front Top png.png

X-Men Front Bottom png.png

X-Men Inside Spine png.png

X-Men Back Top png.png

X-Men Back Bottom png.png

Edited by rexinnih
Title Update

Thank you all for the quick responses. My main hope was Universal Blue and if it can stretch to 1.5, I would be happy with that but won't be disappointed with a 1.0. Plan to submit when my membership renews in Feb and use the credit. Will update afterwards. 

I tend to agree with the .5-1.0 range, though I'm hopeful it squeaks out the 1.0. I definitely don't see 1.5 with the sheer real estate of tape/browned areas, but who knows.

In the upper left corner, is that white-out or a piece replacement? 

Great book to have! :headbang:

10 hours ago, rexinnih said:

Thank you all for the quick responses. My main hope was Universal Blue and if it can stretch to 1.5, I would be happy with that but won't be disappointed with a 1.0. Plan to submit when my membership renews in Feb and use the credit. Will update afterwards. 

Not so fast. You don't get out of this thread without a welcome wagon drive by! 

welcome.gif

10 hours ago, Point Five said:

I tend to agree with the .5-1.0 range, though I'm hopeful it squeaks out the 1.0. I definitely don't see 1.5 with the sheer real estate of tape/browned areas, but who knows.

In the upper left corner, is that white-out or a piece replacement? 

Great book to have! :headbang:

Took another closer look as the photo makes it more prominent than looking at the comic with the naked eye. I looked inside and outside and doesn't appear to be a piece replacement thankfully but the coloring is noticeably different as it's one of the non-taped area. Not sure if it's a bleach, color touch or what. Will submit for screening to see if it is some kind of color touch or restoration. Thanks for the call out, 

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Not so fast. You don't get out of this thread without a welcome wagon drive by! 

welcome.gif

Thanks for the welcome wagon - been a member for a few years but just now becoming more active in the boards. Thanks all for the support!