• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ultimate Fallout 4 Variant 9.8 Red Hot

25 posts in this topic

Well I am officially priced out of the market for that book.  I have NEVER seen a modern book shoot up so high that fast!  HA just sold a copy for $14,400 and now there is another on eBay for $20K after one sold for $15K.  This book now costs as much as a low grade AF15!  I even thought about downgrading my X-Men 1 to buy a 9.8 UF4 variant. I am absolutely shocked. I refuse to pay $20K for a modern, I just can't wrap my head around that.  Good luck to all the owners.  I wonder what this book will be when a movie drops or when he gets introduced into the MCU?  I am not sure when or if this book will ever come back down to earth.

image.thumb.png.1a5f97c852ecd64bbf896e893b11c8de.png

image.png.e5c8362870fdd0b193b7008117f8407f.png

image.thumb.png.91e455fc329945b5773d0868384ada8f.png

Edited by carter3175

All grades over 9.0 are going beserk.

The difference is that this book has a solid character that will be around for quite some time.

The variant - yeah - cray-cray $$

The normal 1st print has along, long way to go.

I mean, a 9.4 has sold for $1000 and a 9.8 for over $1500

Only 8800 slabbed currently (of course that will go up and up - there's already a 3.0) but this book has LEGS.

12 months time, who knows where the prices of this book will be.

If anyone saw the Netflix show 'Sex Education' with Gillian Anderson - the guy who played 'Eric' - he's gotta be the guy they cast when MM gets to the big screen.

This generations AF #15

What I can't understand is why the 2nd printing is getting high prices.  Its basically just a reprint but 9.8s are going for $200 - $300.  

7 hours ago, Gruson said:

I knew I should have bought more!

I have two 9.8s of the variant and am tempted to sell at these prices...hmmm. 
Tough call. 

If you really want the money then sell one, but I can see the variant going even more insane once Mile becomes part of the MCU.

Having lived through the 1990s comic crash ( I have 4 UF 9.8 1st prints reg covers) so no "I missed the boat remorse" with this statement. It's just that these types of insane numbers ($15-20k is a lot of money for most Americans) on these types of books that really make me feel very uneasy about our entire hobby......... across the board. At 53 am I just an old timer being over cautious & maybe the internet has changed things forever? But between this and Zion Williams cards selling for 100k ( one busted knee and its a $10 card) & a modern Variant that should cost $200 it feels so......1990s DOOOOOOOOM ish...........( Simonson swipe)      ps...................Hey buddy How many Jim Lee X men #1s you want?

Edited by I am not Glenda

3 hours ago, I am not Glenda said:

Having lived through the 1990s comic crash ( I have 4 UF 9.8 1st prints reg covers) so no "I missed the boat remorse" with this statement. It's just that these types of insane numbers ($15-20k is a lot of money for most Americans) on these types of books that really make me feel very uneasy about our entire hobby......... across the board. At 53 am I just an old timer being over cautious & maybe the internet has changed things forever? But between this and Zion Williams cards selling for 100k ( one busted knee and its a $10 card) & a modern Variant that should cost $200 it feels so......1990s DOOOOOOOOM ish...........( Simonson swipe)      ps...................Hey buddy How many Jim Lee X men #1s you want?

You're missing a lot of nuances in there that make things different.

43 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

You're missing a lot of nuances in there that make things different.

No doubt ( didn't want to write a book) But I think it's fair to say anyone who thinks what goes up can't come down in this or any hobby/investment might, just might be fooling themselves. I understand supply & demand but 15k on this book or even 1500 on the standard book ( based on printed copies) indicates there is a lot more speculation then reality going on imho. For example my 4 copies came from a fellow store owner, he has 40 bagged copies and 1 variant plus seven graded examples. The pic below is a customers/ friends horde. He only has 10 copies lol ps I don't even want to talk about the Previews that some people popped off 10k+ for.

135553477_10219594837769113_6648644643676024316_n.jpg

1 hour ago, I am not Glenda said:

No doubt ( didn't want to write a book) But I think it's fair to say anyone who thinks what goes up can't come down in this or any hobby/investment might, just might be fooling themselves. I understand supply & demand but 15k on this book or even 1500 on the standard book ( based on printed copies) indicates there is a lot more speculation then reality going on imho. For example my 4 copies came from a fellow store owner, he has 40 bagged copies and 1 variant plus seven graded examples. The pic below is a customers/ friends horde. He only has 10 copies lol ps I don't even want to talk about the Previews that some people popped off 10k+ for.

Print really doesn't matter if there is demand. Has Miles surpassed Deadpool in global popularity? If you say no, they were are still below the peak.

43 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Print really doesn't matter if there is demand. Has Miles surpassed Deadpool in global popularity? If you say no, they were are still below the peak.

I guess we will have to disagree that print run is not relevant, as to the Deadpool comparison last time I looked a  NM #98 9.8 was about 1000/1300 bucks and was 30 years old with 2 solid movies behind it. Most of those years it was a $50 book. I am not saying I am right maybe the UF variant is a 50k book in a few years, to each his own but imho those $$$$ feel way off regardless of demand. Cards, toys and comics are in a very weird place right now.

On 2/5/2021 at 11:40 AM, I am not Glenda said:

I guess we will have to disagree that print run is not relevant, as to the Deadpool comparison last time I looked a  NM #98 9.8 was about 1000/1300 bucks and was 30 years old with 2 solid movies behind it. Most of those years it was a $50 book. I am not saying I am right maybe the UF variant is a 50k book in a few years, to each his own but imho those $$$$ feel way off regardless of demand. Cards, toys and comics are in a very weird place right now.

There are more NM 98 than UF 4 and Miles has an Academy Award movie.

Edited by ygogolak

On 2/5/2021 at 6:07 AM, I am not Glenda said:

I think the obvious reason these books are taking off is the media and Hollywood is tapping into comics and can finally do them justice on screen.  Some very unknown characters are now becoming household names and that is a win for us all! 

Of course this gets hot when I’m saving for a copy.  At this point do you think it’s even worth going for the variant as I do love that cover but it’s pretty pricey, or should I settle for a 2nd print white background in high grade?  
do the panini variants hold up well in terms of collectibility and value if for some reason in 10 years or so I decide to sell my comics.  I don’t know how well the foreign variants hold up compared to their American counterparts 

22 hours ago, ygogolak said:

There are more NM 98 than UF 4 and Miles has an Academy Award movie.

And I think UF 4 9.8 numbers will never get so high due to it coming polybagged, which does not lend to many copies being 9.8s

I think the regular cover edition has tons and tons of room to grow. I can easily see it being the next ASM 300.

It won’t surprise me if this is very soon a 2K+ book.