• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Learning about the grade, online or wait until you receive your slabs?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Newbie here waiting on his first 25 book submission.  Its been in "Scheduled for Grading" since Monday (maybe before that but that is when I first noticed) so I'm thinking maybe this week I learn that they are graded.

Question for the community, do you wait until you receive your books to look at the grades or do you login and view your submissions once graded.  I'm here in Maine so I don't think I can wait multiple days for a package from Florida.  Definitely going to test the will power.  

First couple of times, I waited in anticipation for the box to arrive and then took them out 1 by 1 to look at them and soak in the grade. Now on the last batch I sent in for the Roy Thomas signing, I decided to look at the grades and check how close or far I was from what I initially thought the grades would be. Surprisingly, I was pretty close on all of my uneducated grading guesses and pleasantly surprised when an Avengers 48 turned out higher and I thought. 

This give me time to update my master list with the CGC cert numbers, grades and grading notes when supplied and then open the box when I get them, bag them and put them on the shelf. 

15 hours ago, William-James88 said:

That Wolverine 37, is that the one where 9.8s are so hard to get?

Hi William,

Funny story about that issue and what I submitted.  I purchased from an auction issues 1 to 86 of the 1988 Wolverine series.  They were all high grade near mint issues.  When I made the submission I thought the same thing, take a chance on getting a 9.8 on the one issue that has such a low ration of 9.8's.  Out of 105 submissions to CGC to date there are only 10 9.8's total.  Pretty low ratio for for a book from 1990. 

The only problem is that I picked the wrong issue.  I chose issue 37 while the actual issue is 35 that has the low 9.8 ratio.  The two covers have Lade Deathstrike and are almost reversed mirror images of one another (I attached a pic). For comparison, the issue 37 has 61 submissions to the CGC and 45 are 9.8 grades to date, almost a 75% chance of a 9.8 for every submission.  Compare that to issue 35, which is about a 10% chance of a 9.8. 

I'll definitely remember to add issue 35 to the next submission and cross my fingers :)

Wolverine.JPG

1 hour ago, Jfend72 said:

Hi William,

Funny story about that issue and what I submitted.  I purchased from an auction issues 1 to 86 of the 1988 Wolverine series.  They were all high grade near mint issues.  When I made the submission I thought the same thing, take a chance on getting a 9.8 on the one issue that has such a low ration of 9.8's.  Out of 105 submissions to CGC to date there are only 10 9.8's total.  Pretty low ratio for for a book from 1990. 

The only problem is that I picked the wrong issue.  I chose issue 37 while the actual issue is 35 that has the low 9.8 ratio.  The two covers have Lade Deathstrike and are almost reversed mirror images of one another (I attached a pic). For comparison, the issue 37 has 61 submissions to the CGC and 45 are 9.8 grades to date, almost a 75% chance of a 9.8 for every submission.  Compare that to issue 35, which is about a 10% chance of a 9.8. 

I'll definitely remember to add issue 35 to the next submission and cross my fingers :)

Wolverine.JPG

Haha, thanks for the explanation and for being a good sport about it. I have a pretty nice 35, maybe I should try too (especially with pre screen).

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Haha, thanks for the explanation and for being a good sport about it. I have a pretty nice 35, maybe I should try too (especially with pre screen).

I guess it makes sense where you have such a low rate of 9.8's that the cost would be so high.  Supply and demand :)

I attached a pic where you can see the sales of the 9.8 at Go Collect as well as a user asking $1,050 for a 9.8 copy on Ebay.  I really need to get that copy graded :)

Wolverine CGC - 35.JPG

22 minutes ago, Jfend72 said:

I guess it makes sense where you have such a low rate of 9.8's that the cost would be so high.  Supply and demand :)

I attached a pic where you can see the sales of the 9.8 at Go Collect as well as a user asking $1,050 for a 9.8 copy on Ebay.  I really need to get that copy graded :)

Wolverine CGC - 35.JPG

Do we know how much it sold on comic link?

5 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Do we know how much it sold on comic link?

I think you need a membership possibly.  I click the link and it doesn't show me anything.  I'm also accessing it from Go Collect so that may have a reason why.