• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magic Brittle Pages Become Cream/OW
2 2

26 posts in this topic

We were talking about upgrades and page quality upgrades on mega-keys in the other thread, but has anyone seen an unrestored book go from brittle to Cream/OW pages? (and of course the CC description takes it one step further and just claims "white pages"

tec15cgc.jpg

tec15cc.jpg

Edited by Crowzilla
cc description

14 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

We were talking about upgrades and page quality upgrades on mega-keys in the other thread, but has anyone seen an unrestored book go from brittle to Cream/OW pages? (and of course the CC description takes it one step further and just claims "white pages"

tec15cgc.jpg

tec15cc.jpg

A bit of a shock but maybe a difference in the grading company?  Book could have been moisturized with a good Aloe based lotion.

20 minutes ago, Primetime said:

This is when PQ has to be detailed (or somehow on the label) for bigger keys. I once had a Tec 8 from @G.A.tor that was 99% supple but for one edge tear on an interior page that was weak. The slightly brittle label notation did not give the book a fair representation. 

I agree it's not always accurate and slightly allows for a wide interpretation. But Brittle is pretty explicit about the integrity of the book. It certainly looks dark in the CC scan (but their scan is darker than HA to start with), and the loose chip inside the holder doesn't inspire confidence. I get if you want to argue brittle to slightly brittle, or brittle to tan, or something along those lines, but brittle to cream/ow is like a 15 point jump.

15back.jpg

9 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

I agree it's not always accurate and slightly allows for a wide interpretation. But Brittle is pretty explicit about the integrity of the book. It certainly looks dark in the CC scan (but their scan is darker than HA to start with), and the loose chip inside the holder doesn't inspire confidence. I get if you want to argue brittle to slightly brittle, or brittle to tan, or something along those lines, but brittle to cream/ow is like a 15 point jump.

15back.jpg

Agreed, Sean. Even two different companies have to be closer in the realm for PQ, let along overall grading. Human error :p

Many years ago someone sold some kind of de-acidfication sheets you would put in a book and let sit for a week or so to remove the acid content of the paper. I remember I tried it on a book with some pretty brittle pages and it actually helped. Curious if anyone offers that anymore or if anyone tries it? I gave up those games long ago and just scoff at the games people play now the grade inflation and manipulation. Luckily there are so many great affordable and interesting books in this hobby you can still enjoy it and not worry about this stuff.

15 hours ago, ChillMan said:

CBCS's business model is to offer higher grades than CGC.

CGC likes money too.  As evidenced when they started offering secret pressing & cleaning services in order to get re-submissions.

I don’t think that is CBCS ‘s business model. I have books in both and find them to be pretty consistent ( within .5 each way ).  I trust Matt at CGC and I trust Borock at CBCS.   

17 hours ago, ChillMan said:

CGC likes money too.  As evidenced when they started offering secret pressing & cleaning services in order to get re-submissions.

2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

I don’t think that is CBCS ‘s business model. I have books in both and find them to be pretty consistent ( within .5 each way ).  I trust Matt at CGC and I trust Borock at CBCS.   

Both of your posts have made me think, given me food for thought, sparked my imagination so to speak.

Personally I have never submitted to CBCS. However most of the books I've seen graded by them seem to be accurate. Perhaps I have noticed less White page CBCS GA and SA's but I can't be certain.  As far a resubbing I have cracked a couple of CGC books over the years, had them pressed, and resubmitted. If I recall they both got a one point grade bump upwards. I always thought most people crack the case and then send it in raw then hope for the best. 

Will CGC even take a resubmission in an already graded case? I would think for example the recent Batman 1 9.4 was not cracked by the owner when it was a 9.0 and resubbed. And will CGC regrade a book sent to them in a CBCS slab and vice versa? I would think not but I don't know.

So was this lovely TEC 15 CGC 2.0 sent to CBCS in the CGC slab or was it cracked and sent to them raw? If it was the latter then I would think CBCS would have no idea that it was once a CGC 2.0 therefore could not intentionally give it a nice bump as they did here. 

19 hours ago, ChillMan said:

I think which company is superior clearly is indicated by the "market prices" that we GA/SA collectors pay. As of today, CGC with the same book and grade will hammer at higher price, and demand wise especially with very high upper end books, there really is only one choice. CGC is KING. I would venture to day BOTH CGC and CBCS like money.

49 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I think which company is superior clearly is indicated by the "market prices" that we GA/SA collectors pay. As of today, CGC with the same book and grade will hammer at higher price, and demand wise especially with very high upper end books, there really is only one choice. CGC is KING. I would venture to day BOTH CGC and CBCS like money.

Ok all true I suppose but that stuff doesn't indicate which is a more accurate and/or consistent grading company. CGC is more popular but they were there first by like 15 years.

Like i have said before, I don't need a grading company to grade my books. I have graded Action 1 to 50 Tec 1 to 100 most All of the top 100 books since 1977.

I had my Detective 27  Batman 1 Tec 1 grade by PGX 2007ish to to please e-bay buyers.

I wanted to buy a house here in SF bay are and they where 50% off market price so i put my Tec 27 on ebay as a vg+.

I got 17 k bid and had a 25k reserve most all the messages i got was is it all there and is it a vg+.

I wanted money fast and Daniel at PGX said drive here and i personally grade them so i drove 6 hours up and he graded them there on the spot within 24 hours.

I got the Tec back as 4.5 E would have loved a 5.0 but he was spot on to what Mark Wilson and many others said VG+.

The Batman 1 i bought unrestored abought a vg+/fine- got 8.5 E slight trim bottom right edge. I did not think Mark Wilson trimmed books but did not care at that time.

I bought my Tec 10 and 12 as unrestored from sparkle city comics 1980ish as unrestored NM came back slight/Mod both.8.0 and 7.0 

I bought Action 15 NM unrestored 1978ish he walked out with my books he said its unrestored but had drop of glue top bottom spine ? I looked with large scan could not see this and it only got 8.5 i thought 9.2 but it is what it is.

I know if i sent Tec 27 to CGC it might come back as a 4.0 or even a 3.5 does anyone think it would make a diff in the sale other than CGC 3.5 would outsell PGX 4.5.

I have seen CGC 4.0 that look like 6.0 and 6.0 CGC that look no better than 4.0 so grading company are only good to ( Me ) Fore resale i guess. No alcohol was used only coffee.

19 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Many years ago someone sold some kind of de-acidfication sheets you would put in a book and let sit for a week or so to remove the acid content of the paper. I remember I tried it on a book with some pretty brittle pages and it actually helped. Curious if anyone offers that anymore or if anyone tries it? I gave up those games long ago and just scoff at the games people play now the grade inflation and manipulation. Luckily there are so many great affordable and interesting books in this hobby you can still enjoy it and not worry about this stuff.

I did buy those from William Sarill i think early 80s for my Brittle Red Raven 1 and early run of  Fantastic  and they did not work had a bad smell left on the books. I had a friend Don Sucher in SF that restored books that got the Red Raven 1 white paged and not brittle but i was young so my outlook might be diff now but the pages went from Dark to white. 

Does anyone know what Happened to Don Sucher from SF maybe @sfcityduck