• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collection Markings
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I came across a collection recently with some interesting markings and thought I'd share.

These are a sampling from the collection, the most common pencil notation looks like "7 girls" , then there are other pencil notations that are names(anywhere from one to three per book).  A couple also have additional pen names in ink, maybe it indicated who had read them them?  Anyways, I believe most of the books were romance and hopefully I will be able to get more of them over time.

First up are two that seem to be "7 girls"-

On man's face, also has "X" stamp on woman's arm(not seen on any others so far)

23618.jpg.b3667d7f676f89087768b84a7c49247b.jpg

Notation under lampshade, also has date stamp

23619.jpg.0433cb3c9dfe27f2de5bc7b8d073e612.jpg

This one has two names after the "7", one appears to be "Mayna", the the other "Lorraine" and has pen "Kat" upper right which also appears on another book.

23622.jpg.af121e2dd814a6c2c499bc0baaacc05d.jpg

Edited by GACollectibles

I love finding notations on old books like this. I recently got a couple older western books that just had the original owners name neatly written in them and on some of them, she had stamped an image of a girl with a dog. It was clear it was her way to notate her books when she was young.

Also, I want every book you just shared :)

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I was afraid this thread was going to be about greggy...., :eek: 

This is our safe place, I'm not sure he knows about the Gold forum.

A long time ago I bought a box of 50s and 60s Archies and romance stuff that were obviously comics three sisters shared, or maybe friends. They all had a name with "read" under it, or just the name on the cover. Most have two or three names on them. I assume that they marked the ones they read so they remembered.