• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just how hot are comics right now?
1 1

115 posts in this topic

At the close of the most recent Heritage Signature Auction, the comic book stock index I created jumped 3.3% to an all-time high of 1,643.58 (Pic #1). I've never seen anything like the sales this year, and particularly in this auction. I know everybody is marveling at the sale of the CGC NM 9.4 Batman #1 for $2,220,000.00, and rightfully so for the hammer price.  However, as a percentage of current Nostomania value, that was a decent, but not insane jump.  The real movers were books like Detective Comics #359, CGC NM/MT 9.8 at $132,000.00 (Pic #2).  That was 4X Nosto value, and I doubt anybody else was close, if they even compute a 9.8 value. Batman #227 CGC NM/MT 9.8 for $31,200.00.  Fantastic Comics #3 CGC PR 0.5 for $20,400.00, and so many more.  You picked a good hobby folks :-)

nosto500-all-time-high-post-sig-auc.png.cebd98f8c9331e969c7797cbb7ff03d1.png

1734196893_ScreenShot2021-01-19at4_04_06PM.png.fba2d8ef0996e86711baa9735ea9f2fa.png

Wait until the $2k stimulus hits the USA collectors. So far they only got the $600 lump sum stimulus to spend on collectibles. Canada will probably have greater inflation in 2021, as Canucks have been receiving a relatively high $900 loonies NET of tax every two (2) weeks as fed stimulus. Krazy spec or investment $$ into sports cards, rookie cards, Pokemon cards, funny books, slabbed keys from all decades rather than let funds sit in stale savings accounts earning 0.0% interest or negative interest rate.

Very true about not getting a stimulus. Some of us are not getting those, I wouldn't think 600 would stimulate 8K books. I know a few people who divested in a few areas and got into hobbies some of us have been in for years. They are "beginning" with higher capital than most so their entry buys are high end in regards to past sales. Some stocks have went crazy and people pulled profits from there. I myself decided to sell off my extra toys and everything I list is snatched up immediately and at about twice what I would expect it to sell. So in a way even though we didn't get checks, we have benefited from the extra spending, I just decided to move toy money back into comics.

3 hours ago, PKJ said:

Very true about not getting a stimulus. Some of us are not getting those, I wouldn't think 600 would stimulate 8K books. I know a few people who divested in a few areas and got into hobbies some of us have been in for years. They are "beginning" with higher capital than most so their entry buys are high end in regards to past sales. Some stocks have went crazy and people pulled profits from there. I myself decided to sell off my extra toys and everything I list is snatched up immediately and at about twice what I would expect it to sell. So in a way even though we didn't get checks, we have benefited from the extra spending, I just decided to move toy money back into comics.

Hi PKJ - not disagreeing with you, just a clarification that for many, that stimulus number is not $600, but $600 X 4 = $2,400 (self, spouse, two dependents). 

2 hours ago, tommyjasmin said:

Hi PKJ - not disagreeing with you, just a clarification that for many, that stimulus number is not $600, but $600 X 4 = $2,400 (self, spouse, two dependents). 

Got it, had no idea what the actual payout structure is/was, but that is not who I am seeing make some new purchases. Instagram and Facebook groups have a ton of "Hi I used to collect these when I was a kid in the 80's. Where is the best place to find XYZ?" They are asking for bigger books like ASM 1, Xmen 1 etc. 

I have sold some pretty expensive Gi Joe toys  and not hearing stimulus as the driving force, just nostalgia. 

All collectibles are crazy right now, I follow a few on instagram and FB and the speculators are driving sports cards up huge again, fighting over who gets boxes in Target etc, now some of those people are open that they are using their stimulus and trying to make money on cards since they are not working.Same thing happening with New toys. 

Edited by PKJ

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

How hot are comics right now? Hot enough to burn people. Badly.

Hi Lazyboy - it sounds like you think a correction is coming?  I have seen corrections on a few books (Pic 1), but very few.  Every year I expect a correction on ASM #300, it never arrives.

image.png.6731be4b4eb5ae48232cb1ffa16a9006.png

19 hours ago, tommyjasmin said:

At the close of the most recent Heritage Signature Auction, the comic book stock index I created jumped 3.3% to an all-time high of 1,643.58 (Pic #1). I've never seen anything like the sales this year, and particularly in this auction. I know everybody is marveling at the sale of the CGC NM 9.4 Batman #1 for $2,220,000.00, and rightfully so for the hammer price.  However, as a percentage of current Nostomania value, that was a decent, but not insane jump.  The real movers were books like Detective Comics #359, CGC NM/MT 9.8 at $132,000.00 (Pic #2).  That was 4X Nosto value, and I doubt anybody else was close, if they even compute a 9.8 value. Batman #227 CGC NM/MT 9.8 for $31,200.00.  Fantastic Comics #3 CGC PR 0.5 for $20,400.00, and so many more.  You picked a good hobby folks :-)

nosto500-all-time-high-post-sig-auc.png.cebd98f8c9331e969c7797cbb7ff03d1.png

1734196893_ScreenShot2021-01-19at4_04_06PM.png.fba2d8ef0996e86711baa9735ea9f2fa.png

:banana:

1 minute ago, E5150 said:

"The Nostomania 500 is a stock market index that measures the performance of 500 comic books chosen by Tommy Jasmin to represent not only the most desired and valuable comics, but to also represent a great deal of diversity and genres."

So this stock index is just based on random comics you like?

Hi E5150 - nope, random won't work.  I can't say zero bias slipped in, of course, but I tried to be very fair and follow the criteria you pasted in.  They are all listed, feel free to comment, I'd love to get your take.  Selection critiques are very welcome - the list can be altered.  Just like on the S&P 500 - companies come and go over time.

7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

It has little to do with a stimulus check as the majority of Americans have absolutely nothing to do with comic books or collectibles. 

However, those that collect comics and other collectibles may have been hit pretty hard by being out of work and are cashing in.  Keep in mind that you are not just seeing higher prices realized on the usual books.  I have seen a lot of books enter the marketplace in the last year that I do not usually see.   I am of the firm belief that some are cashing in because of the current market and I am also of the firm belief that some are cashing in because they have to. 

My LCS just put out numerous bronze keys, including a Hulk 181. Seller needed the money, and owner expects them all to move, those that haven't already, once stimulus money hits. He seems like a pretty capable business owner, so I expect he'll see what he expects.

Edited by DavidTheDavid

I have taken some of the boards thoughts to heart or tried. To buy things that no one is at the moment.

If gocollect.com  is to be trusted for fmv, I've picked up a few below it. Like $125's instead of $150's in cost, or $325 instead of $375.

They're probably books that no one really is too into though

Like hero for hire #2

Or ASM 96

Marvel premiere 16....

I take what I can get at this point, but i argue still deals to be had