• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just how hot are comics right now?
1 1

115 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

All of the major auction houses are collecting taxes if that state has them.  

Interesting. Since you mentioned it, I am not ready to check out with open auctions but this is what I see as the end user.

Item(s) Subtotal: $435.00  
Buyer Premium (3%): $13.05  (discounted if paid by 02-15-2021)
  ---------------  
Subtotal: $448.05  
Shipping & Handling: $20.00  
Sales Tax: $0.00  ($0 if paid by 02-15-2021)

when @G.A.torsells an ff5 3.0 for $6,295, or $6,495, on instagram, far beyond current gpa, does that sales data end up on there or gocollect? as bob noted, tons of sales now on instagram, here, and other free platforms. but i wonder if any of those results end up on the record, so to speak. 

Edited by www.alexgross.com

36 minutes ago, PKJ said:

That's just crazy talk! 

Instagram selling and live selling seems to have taken off in the past year. I get on those and see sales of books well past GPA, due to the rush of the auction or whoever is in the room. I also saw a pretty big dealer who is on here and has a flintstone type moniker (I would tag but not sure that is in good taste) sell a X-men 1 for below market in his live sale, while everyone else is selling 20-30% above last sale. And when he posted it, there were about 7 folks responding with the claim. A 6k sale with an army of people trying to buy it. I was one of them, but must have the slowest internet known to man as I was 4th.

At the same time on Instagram Star Wars comics are selling for twice what ebay is selling. I have complained about this since ebay started collecting taxes, with taxes ebay is a tough buy for me now, it increases the actual purchase price 7% in my state, so I would look elsewhere.

How does instagram selling work? I don't use instagram. Is there a central auction or live selling account that everyone posts to?

25 minutes ago, PKJ said:

Interesting. Since you mentioned it, I am not ready to check out with open auctions but this is what I see as the end user.

Item(s) Subtotal: $435.00  
Buyer Premium (3%): $13.05  (discounted if paid by 02-15-2021)
  ---------------  
Subtotal: $448.05  
Shipping & Handling: $20.00  
Sales Tax: $0.00  ($0 if paid by 02-15-2021)

What auction house is this from?

23 hours ago, Shrevvy said:

How does instagram selling work? I don't use instagram. Is there a central auction or live selling account that everyone posts to?

Well it is pretty organic. Facebook has groups that people sell on. That is easier to keep up with.

Instagram is basically Instagram users selling. There are tons of users that do it. But basically users list in their profile books. I search Hashtags of certain books to find them. The savvy sellers list and do live auctions as well, those are the ones were I have seen things go nuts as you can have 200 people in the live auction and going after the same books. I have seen Star Wars comics lately absolutely blow up. There are several dealers on here who use it, I think they each approach differently though.

Edited by PKJ

57 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

when @G.A.torsells an ff5 3.0 for $6,295, or $6,495, on instagram, far beyond current gpa, does that sales data end up on there or gocollect? as bob noted, tons of sales now on instagram, here, and other free platforms. but i wonder if any of those results end up on the record, so to speak. 

None of my sales are reported anywhere 

So I recently discovered facebook live comic sales. It runs the spectrum. Sometimes you see books going for crazy money and sometimes below what you would expect. But you can clearly see in auction situations people just getting caught up in the moment. Nothing new I guess. 

Just to add to my post above. I put these facebook live into two groups. Actual comic shops that hold these sales and internet only sellers. Not you can clearly see that both have their group of loyal buyers. But man, I have seen some comic shops that just blow me away. And without fail the amazing ones are on the other side of the country. I honestly didn't know places like this exist. Racks and racks of graded comics. More keys than you can imagine. The one shop had more horror magazines than I seen in every shop I had been in combined. As I type this I realize this is totally random and has nothing to do with this thread. 

Im seeing some available inventory dry up. Some books that had 5-10 copies on ebay at any given week (that always kept resurfacing in my saved search alerts) now there's only 1-2 of them.

I dont know if thats people buying up these books, or people pulling books awaiting thr next buying flurry when those checks arrive.

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

Im seeing some available inventory dry up. Some books that had 5-10 copies on ebay at any given week (that always kept resurfacing in my saved search alerts) now there's only 1-2 of them.

I dont know if thats people buying up these books, or people pulling books awaiting thr next buying flurry when those checks arrive.

I wondered if another possibility is seller’s pulling books because they don’t want their merchandise getting stuck in a postal purgatory and the buyers working a loophole to get a refund and eventually a free book. 

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

I wondered if another possibility is seller’s pulling books because they don’t want their merchandise getting stuck in a postal purgatory and the buyers working a loophole to get a refund and eventually a free book. 

That feels like a tough one.  If a seller prints a shipping label on eBay, the address is correct and there is a tracking number.  The package might travel slow, but I don't see any open loopholes for the buyer with those conditions met.  

5 minutes ago, tommyjasmin said:

That feels like a tough one.  If a seller prints a shipping label on eBay, the address is correct and there is a tracking number.  The package might travel slow, but I don't see any open loopholes for the buyer with those conditions met.  

4 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Hi Number 6 - I don't know what this is telling me, that it turns out there are loopholes and buyers can get free books?  If so, that's nuts. If tracking shows a package was delivered, what more is a seller supposed to do, hand-deliver it?