• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just how hot are comics right now?
1 1

115 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I wondered if another possibility is seller’s pulling books because they don’t want their merchandise getting stuck in a postal purgatory and the buyers working a loophole to get a refund and eventually a free book. 

I have a package outstanding since November.  I know it's not the seller's fault but I opened a case because my time to appeal was running out.  And who knows maybe it will never come, maybe it will.  So the seller said he'd refund half of it ($20 book).  And I said alright sure.  But he never did and then ebay just kept putting the case on hold for an extra 2 weeks.  They have put it on hold for a month and a half now.   

Point being, ebay will give a lot of extra time for delayed packages to show up before they make seller's give refunds right now.  At least 1.5 months.  We'll see how long they let it go.

When all the funny money is spent and the destruction of the economy is visible for everyone, comic prices will go down big time. Food and housing is more important than Comics. The speculators will leave. Old long time collectors (or their aires)  will be forced to sell in order to fund retirement. There is just no way that comic prices sustain this level. And there will be no wave of chinese comic collectors coming in. Chinese collect their own stuff.

Edited by GermanFan

12 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

I have a package outstanding since November.  I know it's not the seller's fault but I opened a case because my time to appeal was running out.  And who knows maybe it will never come, maybe it will.  So the seller said he'd refund half of it ($20 book).  And I said alright sure.  But he never did and then ebay just kept putting the case on hold for an extra 2 weeks.  They have put it on hold for a month and a half now.   

Point being, ebay will give a lot of extra time for delayed packages to show up before they make seller's give refunds right now.  At least 1.5 months.  We'll see how long they let it go.

Hi Poekaymon - was there tracking on the package?  Assuming so, both sides can determine the last known location of the package with a date, online. If you go into the post office, they have additional detail including photos of the package along the way.  Obviously, nothing is perfect and packages do occasionally go missing, even with tracking.  

On 1/21/2021 at 7:32 PM, Mercury Man said:

Hiiiigghly doubt $600 is the reason.   Or $1200.   What happened is when the Market dipped in March, there was a tremendous buying opportunity for people who already had money.  Some have seen 30%, 40%. 50% gains from then to now.   If you put money into the SPDR ETF in March, you are now up about 56%.

Point being-  The rich got richer.   This has nothing to do with our peasant tithes. 

Not sure how many people were actually loading up right at the sharp deep bottom of the equity markets as that would have definitely taken a lot of guts or foresigh at the time.  (shrug)

I am sure a lot more were definitely stepping into the market during many of the short dips that took place in the equity markets since that time though.  If so, these people would definitely have a lot more money to spend on online auctions, especially since they were pretty much stuck at home with nowehere else they could go to spend their extra money that they were now raking in. (thumbsu

Definitely a K-shape economy during this pandemic as the rich got richer and the poor got poorer with what took place and is still occuring even today.  :(

Edited by lou_fine

13 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure how many people were actually loading up right at the sharp deep bottom of the equity markets as that would have definitely taken a lot of guts or foresigh at the time.  (shrug)

If they were listening to Jerome Powell's words it didn't take too much courage. He basically turned the NYSE into a free money slush fund. If the market was actually a free market it would have failed last spring. Its not allowed to fail for reasons we can't discuss here. 

Anyhow if it were allowed to fail then imagine how much more capital would have flowed into collectibles!

12 hours ago, GermanFan said:

And there will be no wave of chinese comic collectors coming in. Chinese collect their own stuff.

Eh...the Chinese don't have "their own stuff". They just rip off everyone else's. 

I don't know how much interest there is in China for comic book characters anyway? I think there was some when the venom movie came out but I don't think they were lining up for Black Panther or anything else?

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Eh...the Chinese don't have "their own stuff". They just rip off everyone else's. 

I don't know how much interest there is in China for comic book characters anyway? I think there was some when the venom movie came out but I don't think they were lining up for Black Panther or anything else?

No they line up for the NBA,  just ask Lebron

14 hours ago, Gaard said:
15 hours ago, GermanFan said:

Chinese collect their own stuff.

Hmmm. I never thought of that. I wonder what kind of things are collected in different countries.

As history and current times have clearly shown us, the Chinese culture and mindset is all about real estate and collecting property.  :gossip:

15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

As history and current times have clearly shown us, the Chinese culture and mindset is all about real estate and collecting property.  :gossip:

mcu is ENORMOUS in china, no character more than iron man. but not comics. hot toys on the other hand, and all sorts of mcu figures are super big there. 

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure how many people were actually loading up right at the sharp deep bottom of the equity markets as that would have definitely taken a lot of guts or foresigh at the time

Have a cousin who worked for one of the Big Firms in Chicago for 40+ years, since retired. His advice to me in March- If you believe in America, now is a good time to get into the Market.  Buy the SPDR ETF for starters. I took his advice.  Made some money.  Not nearly as much as a bigger shark, but I did ok.   Point being, there are a people a lot smarter and well positioned than me, who did the same, and probably made 6 to 7 figures since March. 

Edited by Mercury Man

29 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:
4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure how many people were actually loading up right at the sharp deep bottom of the equity markets as that would have definitely taken a lot of guts or foresigh at the time

Have a cousin who worked for one of the Big Firms in Chicago for 40+ years, since retired. His advice to me in March- If you believe in America, now is a good time to get into the Market.  Buy the SPDR ETF for starters. I took his advice.  Made some money.  Not nearly as much as a bigger shark, but I did ok.   Point being, there are a people a lot smarter and well positioned than me, who did the same, and probably made 6 to 7 figures since March. 

Totally believable and you certainly didn't have to be in the market for as long as that.  (thumbsu

Heck, I know of some middle class (i.e. non wealthy) people that's made 6 figures in the equity markets this month alone and we still have amother week to go yet.  Of course, all of that is probably still really in paper profit as they haven't taken their money completely out of the market yet, so who really knows.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

I was talking about chinese antiques, porcellain ware and paintings etc. Look up the prices at Sothebys. Some of them thousands of years old. 

Unrelated: Years ago someone here posted a pre 1949 chinese reprint of a US golden age comic, not DC. Must be incredible rare.

11 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I went all in on 1 April 2020. Waiting to cash out anytime after 1 April 2021. Currently up 227%