• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just how hot are comics right now?
1 1

115 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

I second this post,  what dealer was doing this?

Bob and Larryw7 - I was not familiar with this guy, had never seen him set up at a show before.  I know many of the regulars fairly well.  If I could ID him, not sure I would want to call him out on a public forum.  I made a point to speak to this guy a bit and try to suss him out, and one thing I remember is him commenting that he dislikes CGC.  So I suppose it's possible he picked up the suspect CGC slabs from another dealer?  Still, the vibe was not good.  Most stuff was not priced and you had to ask, which I did, to get a feel for that too. It was at least 3X what a reasonable buyer should ever pay, IMO.  

1 minute ago, tommyjasmin said:

Bob and Larryw7 - I was not familiar with this guy, had never seen him set up at a show before.  I know many of the regulars fairly well.  If I could ID him, not sure I would want to call him out on a public forum.  I made a point to speak to this guy a bit and try to suss him out, and one thing I remember is him commenting that he dislikes CGC.  So I suppose it's possible he picked up the suspect CGC slabs from another dealer?  Still, the vibe was not good.  Most stuff was not priced and you had to ask, which I did, to get a feel for that too. It was at least 3X what a reasonable buyer should ever pay, IMO.  

As a dealer who sets up at Chicago this is not something I would like if I saw it happening.   First off it gives "All dealers" a bad name just by association.  Second,  I sell CGC product and anybody tampering with holders is not good for all of our businesses.  Lastly,  promoters don't need that kind of seller at shows.  

24 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

It may possibly be a CGC label error and should have been for Jungle Action #11 (1972) instead (Black Panther seen in picture) and the wrong book info was chosen when the label was assigned.

When you look up the certification number in the CGC system, it does show the Golden Age Jungle info though:

image.png.69d70ab613a720be8a0f409557bc6232.png

Dan - Thanks for the lookup, the plot thickens.  I am certain the book within the slab was Jungle Action #11 (see pic), not an issue of Black Panther.  If this was a mistake, and CGC sent back a Jungle Action #11 instead of a 9.2 Jungle Comics #11, the submitter would have been extremely upset and it would have been fixed right there, again just my opinion.

tmp.jpg

6 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

As a dealer who sets up at Chicago this is not something I would like if I saw it happening.   First off it gives "All dealers" a bad name just by association.  Second,  I sell CGC product and anybody tampering with holders is not good for all of our businesses.  Lastly,  promoters don't need that kind of seller at shows.  

Yes, absolutely Bob.  Agree on all points.  Have not been to ChiCon in ages, next time I'll find you and say hi.  I'm guessing there must be an ongoing thread somewhere on the forums regarding slab security - I have my own thoughts on what needs to happen here going forward to protect the hobby.  It's not cheap but it's necessary.  I'm guessing many on these boards are aware of the analogous problem with counterfeit slabbed coins.  It's gotten pretty sophisticated, including artificially "aging" the coin before fake-slabbing.  So troubling.  I realize most of you already know all this, apologies to the veterans.  As you can see, I rarely pop on the forums, when I do it's usually to mention some new feature on the collection management site I created (Nostomania), but I try hard to limit that (he sez as he links again).  ;-)

1 hour ago, tommyjasmin said:

Dan - Thanks for the lookup, the plot thickens.  I am certain the book within the slab was Jungle Action #11 (see pic), not an issue of Black Panther.  If this was a mistake, and CGC sent back a Jungle Action #11 instead of a 9.2 Jungle Comics #11, the submitter would have been extremely upset and it would have been fixed right there, again just my opinion.

tmp.jpg

i wouldnt rush to judgment on that. cgc regularly mislabels books. seems more likely that this guy submitted jungle action 11 and cgc accidentally labeled it as jungle comics 11. it's gotta be a dropdown menu mistake on their person using the label creating software. jungle action and jungle comics being alphabetically neighbors. 

14 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i wouldnt rush to judgment on that. cgc regularly mislabels books. seems more likely that this guy submitted jungle action 11 and cgc accidentally labeled it as jungle comics 11. it's gotta be a dropdown menu mistake on their person using the label creating software. jungle action and jungle comics being alphabetically neighbors. 

^^

If you haven't seen label errors like this before, you just haven't been paying any attention.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes, I can. Others who've been paying attention will tell you the same.

+1 

Wasn't too long ago a Superman #1 1999 Masterpiece Reprint was on Ebay that had a Superman #1 1939 Label.. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

+1 

Wasn't too long ago a Superman #1 1999 Masterpiece Reprint was on Ebay that had a Superman #1 1939 Label.. :facepalm:

This boggles my mind.  Sounds like there should be a final QA step comparing label to book!  It would literally take seconds per book to add this (apparently necessary) step.

2 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

Yeah, I'll buy that as a very plausible explanation.  Thx Alex.  Interesting deduction, however those two should be close, but not adjacent neighbors.  See pic - this is Nostomania dropdown, not CGC, but they should be very similar.  That said, I can see your reasoning as a way something like this could get out into the wild.

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 1.23.10 PM.png

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

^^

If you haven't seen label errors like this before, you just haven't been paying any attention.

Take your dig at me Lazyboy, that's fine I earned it, but yes, of course I have seen error labels.  I've gotten labels with minor errors.  This one seemed unusual/suspect given the context (dealer with slabs that had been cracked open) and the type of error (incorrect title).  I'm sure more exist but I don't recall offhand seeing other books labelled with the wrong title.  As I said I spend very little time on these forums.  FWIW, at this point I would bet the scenario Alex described is what went down.  

26 minutes ago, tommyjasmin said:

Interesting deduction, however those two should be close, but not adjacent neighbors

The two seem closer in the CGC databases.

In the CGC Census, when you type "Jungle" in the title with "11" in the issue # searches the following comes up (see below)

image.thumb.png.60d3c452b29bfbd5f0ae3fc05bd9d1a2.png

10 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

The two seem closer in the CGC databases.

In the CGC Census, when you type "Jungle" in the title with "11" in the issue # searches the following comes up (see below)

image.thumb.png.60d3c452b29bfbd5f0ae3fc05bd9d1a2.png

There you go! That's an easy mis-click. Nice work Alex and Dan. Part of me wants nag CGC about QA, but realistically we have to expect a certain percentage of errors on any repetitive task requiring tired humans working long hours.  But that Superman #1, ouch.  On my one occurrence they fixed the label free, no hassle.