• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much would a press help?

16 posts in this topic

So, I just saw that my Ultimate Fallout #4 finished getting graded. I checked the graders notes and it came as a 9.2 because of 2 things:
"polybag crease center of cover
very light spine stress lines to cover"

I didn't know, before seeing this, that the center creases seem to be standard for this particular comic because of the polybag, etc...  So, my question is, when I get it back, would sending it back for a press and re-grade be worthwhile? Like, would it possibly move it to a higher grade? Or, should I just be happy with my 9.2 and be done with it? Nothing says color breaking anywhere, so I feel like it might be worthwhile. But, I'm new to this, so I might be crazy also. :)

Thanks

Unfortunately I do not have a before picture. When I get it back (and it shouldn't take too long I live about 15 miles from Sarasota, took 2 days to get there when I sent them in) I'll take pictures of it in the slab. I'll also post in the other board if that's a better place.

2 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I thought it was the opposite, that a crease didn't mean colour break. What would a non colour breaking crease be called?

Actually, you may be correct. I think I have it reversed. I think that they notate, "CREASE, BREAKS COLOR", if it does.

However, I'm not sure what "POLYBAG CREASE" means? Is it press-able? Not usually, from what I have read.

Edited by Angel of Death

Yea, I've been looking around also and it's pretty vague. I'll repost in the other forum once I have it back and can take some pictures. Prolly the only real way anyone will be able to actually tell.

3 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Actually, you may be correct. I think I have it reversed. I think that they notate, "CREASE, BREAKS COLOR", if it does.

However, I'm not sure what "POLYBAG CREASE" means? Is it press-able? Not usually, from what I have read.

6 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Yes, that's what I thought. They usually disclose colour breaks. 

@xvipah I am assuming you did not press this book right? If that's the case and you want a higher grade, then since your grader notes do not mention colour breaks, it seems that resubmitting the book for a press and regrade would be worthwhile. You have good odds of getting a higher grade.vipah

Also, polybag creases do press out.

Edited by William-James88

Right, I didn't press it this time around. This was my first ever submission to CGC for anything. I've definitely learned a few things about what I should do beforehand, like look closely for things like creases/fine lines so I can consider a press. Hopefully what you say is accurate and I can do a press and regrade with better results. 

3 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Yes, that's what I thought. They usually disclose colour breaks. 

@xvipah I am assuming you did not press this book right? If that's the case and you want a higher grade, then since your grader notes do not mention colour breaks, it seems that resubmitting the book for a press and regrade would be worthwhile. You have good odds of getting a higher grade.vipah

3 minutes ago, xvipah said:

Right, I didn't press it this time around. This was my first ever submission to CGC for anything. I've definitely learned a few things about what I should do beforehand, like look closely for things like creases/fine lines so I can consider a press. Hopefully what you say is accurate and I can do a press and regrade with better results. 

Scans would be extra helpful in assessing the books potential. 
Even a book that is poly-bagged can have issues keeping it out of the NM range aside from the crease from the bag. 

Absolutely. As soon as I actually get it back I plan on doing just that and getting with you experts here for a better diagnosis  :)

5 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Even a book that is poly-bagged can have issues keeping it out of the NM range aside from the crease from the bag. 

45 minutes ago, joeypost said:

the funny thing is what I wrote above was inspired by what you wrote on another forum regading polybag creases