• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help please

7 posts in this topic

Just got back my first submission ever, 9.8 on Sports illustrated first issue. In grader notes, it says, "Subscription insert."  Anyone know what this means, I'm not a comic or magazine guy.   Also, I see a set registry for comics, is there a magazine registry to find population reports, Thanks for any help.

16 hours ago, kid-mint said:

Just got back my first submission ever, 9.8 on Sports illustrated first issue. In grader notes, it says, "Subscription insert."  Anyone know what this means, I'm not a comic or magazine guy.   Also, I see a set registry for comics, is there a magazine registry to find population reports, Thanks for any help.

9.8 is a fantastic grade for a SI #1. Many mags included subscription inserts. What you don't want to see is a note saying subscription insert missing...

On 1/21/2021 at 7:26 PM, kid-mint said:

Yes, when it says "subscription insert" right under the publisher and date, that means that there's a subscription card inside the magazine soliciting people to subscribe to the magazine.  Other times inserts would put between the pages as ads for various other products.  

What you don't want is for it to say "Subscription Edition" over on the left.  That means that the issues is a subscription issue and not a newsstand issue.  Newsstand issues have all the value in the market, subscription issues have very little value because too many were produced.    

20 minutes ago, Ken Tarmac said:

Yes, when it says "subscription insert" right under the publisher and date, that means that there's a subscription card inside the magazine soliciting people to subscribe to the magazine.  Other times inserts would put between the pages as ads for various other products.  

What you don't want is for it to say "Subscription Edition" over on the left.  That means that the issues is a subscription issue and not a newsstand issue.  Newsstand issues have all the value in the market, subscription issues have very little value because too many were produced.    

So you're saying my collection of Maxim's are worthless.  :sorry:

SI #1 was generally (always?) produced and distributed with a subscription insert. I'm not familiar enough with CGC's magazine grading to know if it is required for that grade, although it wouldn't surprise me (and all other SI #1 9.8s whose images I could find in a 5 minute effort have the same insert notation).

With the addition of your book, there's still under 50 copies in that grade. It's a tough (and valuable) book in that condition, and you can be very happy with it... perhaps doubly so as your first submission!

6 hours ago, Qalyar said:

SI #1 was generally (always?) produced and distributed with a subscription insert. I'm not familiar enough with CGC's magazine grading to know if it is required for that grade, although it wouldn't surprise me (and all other SI #1 9.8s whose images I could find in a 5 minute effort have the same insert notation).

With the addition of your book, there's still under 50 copies in that grade. It's a tough (and valuable) book in that condition, and you can be very happy with it... perhaps doubly so as your first submission!

CGC has said that the inclusion or omission of subscription or ad inserts do not effect the final grade, they are just noted on the label when present.  

9.8 grades for #1 are currently going for about $5,000.  Sports Illustrated found boxes of issue #1 in mint condition in a warehouse years ago and resold them to the public in a fancy leather binder with a COA for $200-$400.  That essentially flooded the market with copies in amazing condition for a 70 year old issue.  Despite this, they still command a nice number today.  

Edited by Ken Tarmac