• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Regarding CGC vs CBCS
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Hi!

I used to collect coins with PCGS and there was always competition with NGC.  In the coin collecting world, PCGS had a reputation for being more strict in their grading process than NGC.  Is that the same with with CGC and CBCS?  Which one grades easier? 

Don't want to start anything, simply just for learning purposes for myself and curious which label is collected more in the comic book world.  Thanks again for your expertise opinions!  Web master, if I am not supposed to post this, please let me know or just delete the thread.  Thank you!

im going through this dilemma now. I have some books that i want to slab. If there is no difference in the service then its dollars and sense and time (and time is money).

For example Modern (1975+) books

CGC - Express $120 current wait times 11 days

CBCS - $40 - 2 day service

I mean this is a no brainer. Granted the prestige of a CGC book overshadows CBCS and that may or may not be something you want to factor in when its an $80 difference and you multiply that by a few books.

7 minutes ago, cigars&comix said:

im going through this dilemma now. I have some books that i want to slab. If there is no difference in the service then its dollars and sense and time (and time is money).

For example Modern (1975+) books

CGC - Express $120 current wait times 11 days

CBCS - $40 - 2 day service

I mean this is a no brainer. Granted the prestige of a CGC book overshadows CBCS and that may or may not be something you want to factor in when its an $80 difference and you multiply that by a few books.

Cost is definitely something I am weighing to in my thoughts of slabbing some more of my PC....CGC really has made it unappealing, especially for us Canadian folks. Some will argue that it is only a matter of time before CBCS also raises prices (as they are also seeing more volume than ever) but until that happens it makes sense that some people will choose the cheaper option. 

For me, CGC is my preferred company even with long current wait times. I look at it as a long run type of situation where CGC will most probably bring a higher price when I pad my retirement income with comic sales. That said, I did sign up to CBCS to send in some already signed books to get there "Verified" signature grading vs. CGC's green "Qualified" label on comics with a front cover signature. 

CGC books will sell for more in general. I have several books with CGC right now. I do have a signed BONE #1 that I will eventually get graded and that one will go to CBCS as I want the signature verified instead of a CGC Green Label.

But I plan on keeping my books and handing them down to a little boy to hopefully subsidize his college education. But if you are a flipper then CGC makes more financial sense.

Im just not a big fan of the look/label of CBCS. That being said the wait time and price increase of CGC is making me wonder... I do also plan to just send some of my signed stuff into CBCS cause of their signature line. 99.9% of my collection is CGC cause of the look and name tho.

39 minutes ago, Greatwhite said:

But if you are a flipper then CGC makes more financial sense.

Flipping will depend on the $$ you invest as well. For me CBCS makes more financial sense as a flipper.

My boys have made it clear to me that they have no interest in my books..lol, so as I buy them, I sell them. Its strictly a side hustle that I enjoy immensely.

On 6/9/2021 at 6:16 PM, Greatwhite said:

CGC books will sell for more in general. I have several books with CGC right now. I do have a signed BONE #1 that I will eventually get graded and that one will go to CBCS as I want the signature verified instead of a CGC Green Label.

But I plan on keeping my books and handing them down to a little boy to hopefully subsidize his college education. But if you are a flipper then CGC makes more financial sense.

If I were you, I wouldn’t get the signature verification at CBCS for Bone #1. Green labels are very common with this book and largely accepted by the Bone collecting community (myself included).

I wouldn’t go near a CBCS book unless it was significantly discounted. Then I’d just cross it over to CGC.

46 minutes ago, docgo said:

If I were you, I wouldn’t get the signature verification at CBCS for Bone #1. Green labels are very common with this book and largely accepted by the Bone collecting community (myself included).

I wouldn’t go near a CBCS book unless it was significantly discounted. Then I’d just cross it over to CGC.

Good to know. Thanks.

5 hours ago, docgo said:

Same here… I personally have zero faith in a ‘verified’ signature. There is no way to be 100% certain unless the signature is witnessed.

I have only ever bought a CBCS book to crossover, and I got it for MUCH less than I would have paid for the book if it was already graded by CGC.

Even though I am currently less that fully satisfied with CGC’s TATs, and some of their other decisions, such as piling on in-house signings while also seriously backlogged, and raising prices in the middle of it all, I am still sticking with them.  The price difference and wait times are made up for in the value the market has placed on CGC graded books over CBCS. 

Edited by Iconic1s

15 hours ago, Iconic1s said:

Same here… I personally have zero faith in a ‘verified’ signature. There is no way to be 100% certain unless the signature is witnessed.

I have only ever bought a CBCS book to crossover, and I got it for MUCH less than I would have paid for the book if it was already graded by CGC.

Even though I am currently less that fully satisfied with CGC’s TATs, and some of their other decisions, such as piling on in-house signings while also seriously backlogged, and raising prices in the middle of it all, I am still sticking with them.  The price difference and wait times are made up for in the value the market has placed on CGC graded books over CBCS. 

Agreed. I’ve never seen anyone try to counterfeit a Jeff Smith signature anyway. Not on a first print #1 at least.